Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   The Lone Star (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Extra 0-level skills at the start of a game? (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=38432)

Spinward Scout November 4th, 2017 12:41 AM

Extra 0-level skills at the start of a game?

What extra 0-level skills would you give to characters at the start of a game?

I'm thinking things like Computers-0 or Imperial Culture-0 or even Spacer Knowledge-0. Things that should be mandatory, just for being trained by the Imperium or an Interstellar MegaCorp or such - like something everyone except a Barbarian should have. Or like something a new player wouldn't think of to ask about if they could make an EDU roll for it.

timerover51 November 4th, 2017 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spinward Scout (Post 576548)

I'm thinking things like Computers-0 or Imperial Culture-0 or even Spacer Knowledge-0. Things that should be mandatory, just for being trained by the Imperium or an Interstellar MegaCorp or such - like something everyone except a Barbarian should have. Or like something a new player wouldn't think of to ask about if they could make an EDU roll for it.

I would say Computer-0 would be the normal, as long as Education is at least 6-7.

If from a world with an Atmosphere of Very Thin to Vacuum, then Vacc-Suit-O. High population worlds maybe some form of Vehicle-0. For worlds with Thin to Dense Atmosphere and low population, say 6 or lower (Millions to Tens), and reasonable hydrosphere, then maybe some form of Firearm-0, assuming that hunting would be a routine activity.

Spinward Scout November 4th, 2017 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timerover51 (Post 576550)
I would say Computer-0 would be the normal, as long as Education is at least 6-7.

But anyone with a modern cell phone has a handcomp in their hands - no matter their EDU. And that cell phone is stronger than the computers that flew men to the Moon. Would INT be more of a basis for being able to use it well?

Quote:

Originally Posted by timerover51 (Post 576550)
If from a world with an Atmosphere of Very Thin to Vacuum, then Vacc-Suit-O. High population worlds maybe some form of Vehicle-0. For worlds with Thin to Dense Atmosphere and low population, say 6 or lower (Millions to Tens), and reasonable hydrosphere, then maybe some form of Firearm-0, assuming that hunting would be a routine activity.

True, but I was thinking more about their Career training than Homeworld skills.

Fovean November 4th, 2017 01:44 AM

I played in a PBP online game where the Ref gave every character Subsector 0 (+1 per 2 terms served in the area) and World 0 for each significant location in the career (+1 per 2 subsequent visits). Homeworld 1 - 3 depending.

It was more work generating the PCs obviously but it was pretty cool. Most characters had a smattering of knowledge about the campaign area, the Scout had quite a bit and the Agent who had never left his home system knew just the merest facts - helped create an interesting player dynamic right off the bat. The Ref would offer task rolls to avoid insulting locals, remember certain events or notables, that sort of thing.

It helped it all feel very immersive.

As far as Service knowledge, that's a little harder to pin down. I would think a PC that served in Imperial Service would understand all the other services. Likewise for the MegaCorps. But do you give the 2 term Marine and the 5 term Scout the same Imp Srvc 0? What about Other careers?

Blue Ghost November 4th, 2017 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spinward Scout (Post 576551)
But anyone with a modern cell phone has a handcomp in their hands - no matter their EDU. And that cell phone is stronger than the computers that flew men to the Moon. Would INT be more of a basis for being able to use it well?

True, but I was thinking more about their Career training than Homeworld skills.

Well, the game was written in 77. I was hacking on teletypes and PET computers around 75 at Lawrence Hall of Science at UC Berkeley. Unless you lived near MIT, maybe the Detroit area where the auto industry was still extremely strong, or one of the other major tech hubs, odds are you didn't have comp-0. I think some kid today of the same age would blow my old TL6 or TL7 self out of the water with his computer skills.

kilemall November 4th, 2017 02:05 AM

One Vehicle-0 (Which could be Equestrian for low tech, Watercraft for Hydro 8+, Ship's Boat for Asteroids, etc).

One tech/fix-0 (Mech/Electronics/Medical/Engineering/Computer).

One social-0 (Carousing/Bribery/Liaison/Leader/Persuade/Gambling/Admin).

One enviornmental-0 (Survival/Recon/Hunting/Vacc Suit/Navigation/Streetwise).

That's homeworld skills.

For service, someone suggested all Service Skills at 0. That would come up with some odd situations, perhaps more like roll one extra 0 skill per term.

timerover51 November 4th, 2017 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spinward Scout (Post 576551)

You do have a very good point there. As I basically use my iPhone 5 strictly as a phone, I keep forgetting that is has more power than my first Macintosh personal computer. I would go with your view of INT as the basis for use.

Quote:

Realistically, probably some sort of Vehicle skill would be valid then. If Social Standing is low, then probably Streetwise-0. Is Social Standing is high, then maybe Gambling.

By the way, what version of Traveller are you thinking of?

Spinward Scout November 4th, 2017 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fovean (Post 576554)
I played in a PBP online game where the Ref gave every character Subsector 0 (+1 per 2 terms served in the area) and World 0 for each significant location in the career (+1 per 2 subsequent visits). Homeworld 1 - 3 depending.

I like this!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kilemall (Post 576556)
For service, someone suggested all Service Skills at 0.

I like that in MgT, that's standard. I'm not sure any other ruleset had that.

I'm looking at skills just for being in Imperial Service or other services. Like, everyone in Imperial Service could have Computer-0, just to be able to get their payroll, schedule appointments or meetings. And how much crosses over with Comms?

Or something more simple, like Imperial Sophonts-0.

Am I putting too much thought into this? Should there just be a General Knowledge check?

Condottiere November 4th, 2017 03:17 AM

If they ever had an adolescence, Pop Culture.

aramis November 4th, 2017 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spinward Scout (Post 576548)

I use the MT list, plus 1 per full 5 points of Edu.