Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   TWILIGHT: 2000 (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   War Plan Dropshot (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=38414)

timerover51 October 30th, 2017 09:48 PM

War Plan Dropshot

Has anyone adapted Twilight 2000 to War Plan Dropshot, drawn up in 1949 assuming a war with the Soviet Union in 1957?

RandyB October 30th, 2017 11:00 PM

Never heard of Dropshot, but Twilight 1960 (based on it) is an intriguing idea.

timerover51 November 5th, 2017 12:48 AM

Here is a link to a page giving the entire plan. Remember, this was done in 1949, assuming war in 1957, but the planning was based on the capabilities of equipment existing as of 1949. The bombers were B-29, B-36, and B-50. The USAF did have available the jet-powered B-45 Tornado, which was used as a high-speed reconnaissance aircraft during the Korean War, especially near the Yalu River.

http://www.allworldwars.com/Dropshot...on%201957.html

I will be converting the format into PDF, and try to put this out as a freebie on DriveThru RPG as a variant for Twilight 2000. The equipment would be considerably different, as the infantry weapons and armored vehicles would be primarily of World War 2 vintage.

Putraack November 5th, 2017 10:50 PM

Over on the Juhlin forum for T2k, someone is writing/has written a Twilight:1964 project. It starts on post #13 of this thread: http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=1356

BlackBat242 November 6th, 2017 12:12 AM

It appears that there are some people carrying that on - as shown here: USAR Combat Divisions, 1962 (Twilight 1964)

timerover51 November 6th, 2017 01:47 AM

That does look interesting. The other thing would be that the Army division in 1957 was the Pentomic division of 5 infantry battle groups, roughly the size of an oversized battalion. I have the structure for the divisions in the 1959 FM 101-10 Staff Officers' Field Manual-Organization, Technical,and Logistical Data. I am not sure how such a division would have performed in combat.

Major B November 6th, 2017 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timerover51 (Post 576722)
The other thing would be that the Army division in 1957 was the Pentomic division of 5 infantry battle groups, roughly the size of an oversized battalion. I have the structure for the divisions in the 1959 FM 101-10 Staff Officers' Field Manual-Organization, Technical,and Logistical Data. I am not sure how such a division would have performed in combat.

I have some references at home about the origins of TRADOC and the transition from the pentomic division back to the triangular structure (I think it was called ROAD though I forget what that acronym stood for).

I don't have much depth but recall that the CSA at the time thought the pentomic structure was the worst idea ever and made the transition to something he thought workable a top priority.

I read up on it a little because I thought it kind of funny how similar current BCT structures are to the pentomic structure. I think the main fault then was that C3I architecture was not up to the task of enabling C2 for such a flexible structure.

If you are interested in digging into the topic, I can dig some books out tonight and give you the titles and maybe scan some text from them to send by email. These are old DA and CMH pubs so I don't think there are copyright problems with sharing.

Mike

McPerth November 6th, 2017 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major B (Post 576734)
(I think it was called ROAD though I forget what that acronym stood for).

According Wikipedia: Reorganization Objective Army Division (from Pentomic entry).

timerover51 November 6th, 2017 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major B (Post 576734)
I have some references at home about the origins of TRADOC and the transition from the pentomic division back to the triangular structure (I think it was called ROAD though I forget what that acronym stood for).

I don't have much depth but recall that the CSA at the time thought the pentomic structure was the worst idea ever and made the transition to something he thought workable a top priority.

I read up on it a little because I thought it kind of funny how similar current BCT structures are to the pentomic structure. I think the main fault then was that C3I architecture was not up to the task of enabling C2 for such a flexible structure.

If you are interested in digging into the topic, I can dig some books out tonight and give you the titles and maybe scan some text from them to send by email. These are old DA and CMH pubs so I don't think there are copyright problems with sharing.

Mike

Greetings Mike, do not worry about digging out your books. I have some of that already, as I hit the CMH and the Combined Arms Research Library Digital Library quite a bit.

Right now, I have enough projects on both the front and back burners that working on Dropshot is going to have to be in 2018. It does make for an interesting alternative scenario.

RandyB November 6th, 2017 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timerover51 (Post 576750)
Greetings Mike, do not worry about digging out your books. I have some of that already, as I hit the CMH and the Combined Arms Research Library Digital Library quite a bit.

Right now, I have enough projects on both the front and back burners that working on Dropshot is going to have to be in 2018. It does make for an interesting alternative scenario.

Suggestion/caution: Don't make the mistake that the originator of the Twilight:1964 materials did. He took the published T2K setting materials and projected them on to the T'64 scenario. America then was a completely foreign country compared to America now, or in 2007 (the rough date when the T'64 work was first done), or in 1987-1992 (rough midpoint for the original T2K setting work). Get to know that America as a foreign country before you apply the effects of Dropshot to it.