Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Classic Traveller (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Skills cap (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=38412)

gregcaires October 29th, 2017 07:14 PM

Skills cap

Does anyone know where the cap on skills comes from? I thought it was a CT rule that a character could not have skills (type and levels) in excess of their INT + EDU. I know I didn't make this up, I must have read it somewhere. Is this canon in any edition of Traveller?

aramis October 29th, 2017 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregcaires (Post 576243)
Does anyone know where the cap on skills comes from? I thought it was a CT rule that a character could not have skills (type and levels) in excess of their INT + EDU. I know I didn't make this up, I must have read it somewhere. Is this canon in any edition of Traveller?

Book 7.

ffilz October 30th, 2017 01:35 AM

Quote:

It is in The Traveller Book, and in the Consolidated Errata for 1981 Book 1.

ShawnDriscoll October 30th, 2017 02:04 AM

Quote:

Usually in the "other" skills sections of various rule sets. Page 16 of Traveller Starter Edition book 1.

infojunky November 2nd, 2017 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffilz (Post 576258)
It is in The Traveller Book, and in the Consolidated Errata for 1981 Book 1.

Is it?

I recall it being a part of MT.

ffilz November 2nd, 2017 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infojunky (Post 576454)
Is it?

From the errata:

Quote:

Page 23, Other Skills, Maximum Skills (omission): This rule (included in The Traveller Book and Starter Traveller),
was left out of Book 1:
As a general rule of thumb, a character may have no more skills (or total of levels of skills) than the sum of his or her
intelligence and education. For example, a character with UPP 77894A would be restricted to a total of 13 combined skills
and levels of skills. This restriction does not apply to level-0 skills.
And on P.29 of The Traveller Book and P.16 of Starter Traveller.

Frank

infojunky November 2nd, 2017 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffilz (Post 576456)
From the errata:

And on P.29 of The Traveller Book and P.16 of Starter Traveller.

Check. Missed it on my quick search.

Honestly I never have had a character hit the cap.

Supplement Four November 2nd, 2017 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 576244)
Book 7.

I believe it was carried through to MT, also.

It's in the Traveller Book, page 29.

The reason: The chargen systems that provide a lot of skills will sometimes provide character with high school that pretty much break the 2D6 system. There's only 11 results on 2D6, and if you have +7, that's a hell of a modifier.

aramis November 3rd, 2017 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infojunky (Post 576454)
Is it?

It's in there, too.

It was introduced in The Traveller Book in 1982 (Maximum Skills, p. 29), and reiterated in 1985 in Bk 7.

infojunky November 3rd, 2017 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 576468)
It's in there, too.

Yep.

Amusing factoid I discovered tonight with MT's basic Character Generation it is possible to hit the average Skill Cap in 3 terms.