Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   TAS Opinion Polls (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   OTU Only: What Kind of Ships Does Traveller Need More of? (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=37047)

dmccoy1693 December 6th, 2016 03:59 PM

What Kind of Ships Does Traveller Need More of?

So I'm planning future releases and sooner or later I am going to be doing a ship book. What do you want to see more of in a ship book?

Also, do you want to see a book of ships that are ship, stat block and a little bit of flavor and that's it or do you want to see a ship book that is pages of details for each ship, giving that specific class of ship a detailed history, information on who built it, what kind of design of engine it uses, etc (details like how Mazdas use a Wankel rotary engine while Chevy/Ford use an I-4/V-6 engine).

flykiller December 6th, 2016 04:30 PM

pretty much already have drawn up deckplans for whatever up-close game tools I could need, and there's a lot of other good and/or usable general/initial stuff out there too already. have a spreadsheet for drawing up ship "stat blocks" in a few minutes and tweaking them in a few minutes more.

serious alien ships would be good.

flykiller December 6th, 2016 04:37 PM

what is a "larger player-focused" ship? the 4000 dton lu hao scout ship seems little used, the 4000 dton jefferson davis passenger liner has no comments whatsoever, there seemed to be little interest in the 600 dton high flyer, and I had a lbb2 1000 dton configurable cargo/passenger liner posted for years with absolutely zero comments.

Xerxeskingofking December 6th, 2016 04:39 PM

things I would like to see more of:

medium sized (500-2000 Dton) ships which can be used to add some interesting background items and/or have intresting little details that you can hang a plot hook on.

For example, that a certain design of trader is only really produced in Rimward areas of the Imperium near Sol, so seeing it in the marches implies its come an awful long way to get their. Or that this particular class of gunboat in well known for its punishing missle salvos, but lacks the ammo for more than a few rounds fire at full rate.

I rather like what the battletech writers did with the Technical Readouts for that system, as they give a great deal of that sort of flavour info that helps both meld the setting together and to offer interesting ideas for adventures.

whulorigan December 6th, 2016 04:50 PM

It might be interesting to post some designs that are unique to particular eras (possibly with a particular "design aesthetic" unique to that era or region).

I at first did not like the ship-artwork for T4. But it gradually grew on me in the sense of: "these are old-style Sylean and/or RoM designs that are not often seen anymore by year 1105".

I love the classic standard small ships. But it is actually somewhat tiresome after a while when campaign guides are published for earlier eras, and all of the small ships are merely slight variations on what has been done before in CT Book 2, as if nobody has ever created a new ship-design in millennia. I know the Vilani are conservative and all that, but come on . . .

Condottiere December 6th, 2016 07:00 PM

One hundred to a thousand tonne range may be the most useful.

Like car companies, you could concentrate on the range of offers from a single ship building corporation.

Jame December 6th, 2016 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Condottiere (Post 554246)
One hundred to a thousand tonne range may be the most useful.

Like car companies, you could concentrate on the range of offers from a single ship building corporation.

This is a good thought.

I'd add:
Small craft,
military ships up to 30000 tons,
military ships between 30000 and 50000 tons,
civilian ships up to 50000 tons.

Whipsnade December 6th, 2016 07:38 PM

Interesting poll. Sundry comments:

General
  • The bigger the ship, the more likely the ship becomes a location instead of "Our ship". Past a certain size, a ship becomes little more than an impersonal office building, mall, or base.
  • The bigger the crew, the less likely the ship design will be used for RPG play. While we talk about it all the time, how many sessions have you actually run in which the players ran multiple PCs?
  • While the "player-focused" spectrum has a large gray region, the larger a ship or it's crew the less likely it can be player-focused.
  • While specific or special designs are nice, they can only be used in specific or special situations. We see a lot of generic designs because generic designs can be used more often.

Beerfume filled a lot of holes during his A-to-Z challenge this year. He gifted us with a smaller yacht, a new x-boat station, and a small trader among other things. That being said:

Specific
  • We need a smaller or more conventionally shaped lab ship.
  • We need a jump2 version of the Type-R subsidized merchant. Same cargo and passenger capacity, just jump2.
  • We need a survey companion to the Suleiman and Donosev. There are already a few 1000+ dTon designs. What's needed is a "bridge" between those and the Donosev.
  • We need a jump6 courier design. Not an Imperiallines reboot, but the small(ish) data carrier the nobility, government, megacorps, and military used instead of the x-boat system.

Variants
  • The IISS owns a few Leviathans. How do they differ from the merchant cruisers depicted in A:4? You needn't show the entire ship, just the changed areas.
  • In IISS service the Suleiman's rear area and upper gallery contain mission specific gear like comm equipment, data banks, survey sensors, labs, etc. What do they look like? What are their capabilities? Again, no need to show the entire ship, just the changed compartments.

Aliens
  • Vargr 200dTon courier, 600 dTon packet, and 800 dTon frigate.
  • Zhodani 800 dTon liner.

Iracundus December 6th, 2016 07:40 PM

Lots of detail for player focused small or medium ships, including those produced by other major polities like the Solomani Confederation, the Aslan etc...

Big warships are nice but that is really more for wargaming or high level naval campaigns rather than the average individual player character level. There is limited utility I think for massive deck plans for a dreadnought as few PCs will be dungeon crawling through its innards.

flykiller December 6th, 2016 07:42 PM

oh, and submarines too. on average half of all the worlds have some kind of ocean, and lots of water-worlds, you would think there ought to be some some subs and some planetary meson guns mounted on subs ....