Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Traveller for Hero (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Taking up the torch from DonM? (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=35460)

BlackBat242 December 13th, 2015 02:01 AM

Taking up the torch from DonM?

I thought this was better asked here than in his eulogy thread.

With the unexpected and untimely passing of DonM, does anyone have any idea who might pick up this project now... or will it end with DonM's passing?

If I knew more about the HERO system in general, and about HeroTrav in specific I would volunteer - but I don't know enough about either to do more than muck it up - likely beyond fixing.

Spinward Scout December 13th, 2015 05:33 AM

Might be a little soon to ask. Please ask again if you haven't heard anything by this time next week.

shadowcat48li December 13th, 2015 08:50 AM

its a good question, Rob Bruce and I who wrote the original edition are still around, and I at least have some of his notes on what needed to happen going forward. so it wont end if I can do anything about it.

BlackBat242 December 14th, 2015 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spinward Scout (Post 524909)
Might be a little soon to ask. Please ask again if you haven't heard anything by this time next week.

Will do - with the below response I believe I won't need to bring it up again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadowcat48li (Post 524913)
its a good question, Rob Bruce and I who wrote the original edition are still around, and I at least have some of his notes on what needed to happen going forward. so it wont end if I can do anything about it.

Thanks, I know that not only we who will be able to use the material will be grateful, I feel confident that DonM would feel gratitude for finishing his work.

shadowcat48li December 14th, 2015 04:13 AM

I've got e-mails out to the powers that be, havent heard back yet, I will update folks when I get something

robject December 14th, 2015 12:30 PM

THANK YOU for taking the initiative to at least think up some options here.

Blue Ghost December 14th, 2015 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBat242 (Post 524901)
I thought this was better asked here than in his eulogy thread.

With the unexpected and untimely passing of DonM, does anyone have any idea who might pick up this project now... or will it end with DonM's passing?

If I knew more about the HERO system in general, and about HeroTrav in specific I would volunteer - but I don't know enough about either to do more than muck it up - likely beyond fixing.

If I understand correctly the HERO system is the old Champions' game system where you build a character with points (stats + skills + powers) and then assign "disadvantages" which will give you points towards building a character. You can essentially build any character you want by giving yourself a "Hero Bonus", which is any amount of points you and the GM deem reasonable.

Further, that the turn mechanic uses the impulse movement system, and where, like in Traveller, you roll for initiative during combat.

I'll be honest, although I applaud the efforts of DoM and anyone else who contributed to HERO Traveller, it does seem to be a bit redundant, because it seems easy to translate from one system to the next.

Was the intent to provide a new Traveller setting with superheroes?

aramis December 14th, 2015 03:11 PM

Hero has no rolled initiative, per se. Everyone acting in a phase does so on their dex order. Only if there is a dex tie is it rolled; it remains the same from turn to turn.

High Dex goes early in their phases.
High speed goes in the early phases.

Note: Both of the GM's I played hero under broke dex ties in a given phase with Speed, THEN went to rolls.

Blue Ghost December 14th, 2015 03:57 PM

Yeah, that sounds right.

But what was the thought behind a Traveller-HERO port or connection?

whulorigan December 14th, 2015 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Ghost (Post 525088)
Yeah, that sounds right.

But what was the thought behind a Traveller-HERO port or connection?

HERO was a generic RPG system, like GURPS. Traveller-HERO was just Traveller ported into the HERO ruleset, similar to how GURPS-Traveller was ported over to the GURPS ruleset, or T20 was Traveller using the D20 game engine.

It had nothing to do with Superheroes.