Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Ship's Locker (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   What's your favorite BattleDress? (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=34121)

Magnus von Thornwood March 14th, 2015 02:54 AM

What's your favorite BattleDress?
 
What it says on the tin.

I am at work and have a slew of filing to do yet, so I will keep it short. Basically it is both an aesthetics and functional question.

Me, I dig the Zhodani BD. I still remember coming around the corner at Napoleon's and seeing the Detrick cover with that sweet Zho BattleDress and that swauve Zho Noble (but at the time I saw it, merely some important dude who was looking for some problem and might be looking at me as its cause). Then I bought the book of the Grand Psionic Race and found a cool culture and some wicked cool Psi rated and usable BD.

At first I used to think the clam shell helmet was cool, but stupid since the crease would be in the way. Then I realized that I often don't spend a lot time noticing me nose so the crease might not be that distracting. Still later I realized with TL-E it probably just seals to finely to see and has optical overlays. Also, I think the faceplate design is better than the Imperial version since if the fancy optical/comp stuff goes to crap the Zho has a much wider and deeper field of view than the Impy does.

And now with Staging and QREBS the Zho can have some nice TL-E BD that can equal Imp BD in some manners (it already beats it for use of psionics.

So that is my vote and comments?

aramis March 14th, 2015 05:10 AM

For me, it's always been the Scout Walkabout Suit. It's battledress optimized for a non-combat purpose, and while the AV is somewhat lower, the visibility cannot be beat - it's an armored dome!

The Zhodani is a close second. Tho' I much prefer the sleekness of their Combat Armor... which other than being sleek rather than bulky, looks much the same.

Spinward Scout March 14th, 2015 04:06 PM

https://33.media.tumblr.com/f33faea7...9yl5o1_400.gif

timerover51 March 14th, 2015 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnus von Thornwood (Post 503969)
What it says on the tin.

I am at work and have a slew of filing to do yet, so I will keep it short. Basically it is both an aesthetics and functional question.

Me, I dig the Zhodani BD. I still remember coming around the corner at Napoleon's and seeing the Detrick cover with that sweet Zho BattleDress and that swauve Zho Noble (but at the time I saw it, merely some important dude who was looking for some problem and might be looking at me as its cause). Then I bought the book of the Grand Psionic Race and found a cool culture and some wicked cool Psi rated and usable BD.

At first I used to think the clam shell helmet was cool, but stupid since the crease would be in the way. Then I realized that I often don't spend a lot time noticing me nose so the crease might not be that distracting. Still later I realized with TL-E it probably just seals to finely to see and has optical overlays. Also, I think the faceplate design is better than the Imperial version since if the fancy optical/comp stuff goes to crap the Zho has a much wider and deeper field of view than the Impy does.

And now with Staging and QREBS the Zho can have some nice TL-E BD that can equal Imp BD in some manners (it already beats it for use of psionics.

So that is my vote and comments?

You allow your player characters to have Battle Dress? I take it that they really like to kill people with impunity.

whulorigan March 14th, 2015 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timerover51 (Post 504010)
You allow your player characters to have Battle Dress? I take it that they really like to kill people with impunity.

I don't think Magnus said anything about player characters having or not having Battledress in his campaigns. He only asked which do CotI Memebers like the best.

As to the question: For aesthetics, I definitley like the look of the Zhodani Armor also.

rancke March 14th, 2015 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 503971)
For me, it's always been the Scout Walkabout Suit. It's battledress optimized for a non-combat purpose, and while the AV is somewhat lower, the visibility cannot be beat - it's an armored dome!

I agree. I never did use it in any of my games, but I did note that it's a poor man's battledress. Outfit your rebels with them and equip them with laser drills and you've got a force that has to be taken seriously.

I like the look of it too.


Hans

timerover51 March 14th, 2015 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whulorigan (Post 504011)
I don't think Magnus said anything about player characters having or not having Battledress in his campaigns. He only asked which do CotI Memebers like the best.

As to the question: For aesthetics, I definitley like the look of the Zhodani Armor also.

I do not allow Battle Dress in my Universe, except for active-duty military members on actual combat missions. I do not like the idea of Battle Dress in the least. Of course, I have the same low view of man-portable energy weapons.

rancke March 14th, 2015 06:09 PM

I allow battledress in my universe.


Hans

aramis March 14th, 2015 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timerover51 (Post 504015)
I do not allow Battle Dress in my Universe, except for active-duty military members on actual combat missions. I do not like the idea of Battle Dress in the least. Of course, I have the same low view of man-portable energy weapons.

It's on its way in the real world...

Uncle Sam is putting linear frames (cyberpunk term for human augmentation exoskeletons) into field testing. Once the frames test out, it's only a matter of time before integral armor is added. Leg-infantry may soon go the way of the dodo. I somehow doubt it, but it's at least plausible now.

Spartan159 March 14th, 2015 09:11 PM

I prefer the DGP writeup of Battledress per MTJ-1. Though I would love to see Traveller stats for Halo's Mjolnir Armor... I'm thinking TL 15 recon BD :D


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (c) 2010-2013, Far Future Enterprises. All Rights Reserved.