Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   In My Traveller Universe (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Mercenary Ideas in Canon? (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=28739)

Leitz January 4th, 2013 06:56 PM

Mercenary Ideas in Canon?

I'm building MTU and starting with a mercenary game in a couple months. Would prefer to do something like Spinward marches, Imperium, standard Canon at least until the game day starts. That way there's little to change in the back story and interested players can do whatever research they want and I don't have to worry much about writing up scads of detail.

What sorts of ideas does the Imperium have on mercenary groups? What ideas do you have to make the game more interesting for the players?

Appreciate your thoughts on this.

Cryton January 4th, 2013 09:00 PM

Mercenary groups are actually quite common in the 3I. Their services are used bu MegaCorperations as added security and sabotage actions against other MegaCorperate interests, or what have you.

On any number of worlds planetary governments (especially on gov code 7 worlds) use mercs for nearly any tickets you can imagine. Security, extraction, aniti- terrorism, putting down rebellions, as support in Gov vs Gov actions, even as front line troops when the mercs can bring a high tech advantage to the field.

Mainly this is due to the 3Is hands off policy concerning planetary governments, and so long as what ever warfare they are involved in does not effect 3I interests (trade/the starport/the local 3I nobles land grant) and so long as they dont engage in black war tactics, the sky is the limit to what they can be involved in.

Dragoner January 4th, 2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leitz (Post 417241)
I'm building MTU and starting with a mercenary game in a couple months. Would prefer to do something like Spinward marches, Imperium, standard Canon at least until the game day starts. That way there's little to change in the back story and interested players can do whatever research they want and I don't have to worry much about writing up scads of detail.

What sorts of ideas does the Imperium have on mercenary groups? What ideas do you have to make the game more interesting for the players?

Appreciate your thoughts on this.

Broadsword is what immediately comes to mind, but there is also the continuing war against the Ine Givar on Efate.

Leitz January 4th, 2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoner (Post 417249)
Broadsword is what immediately comes to mind, but there is also the continuing war against the Ine Givar on Efate.

Wow, I wasn't even aware of them. Can you tell I've been out of the loop for a long time? A Google search lead to several web pages.

Very cool, thanks!

aramis January 4th, 2013 10:14 PM

The JTAS CD has several merc missions in the marches. Adventure 8 is essentially a Merc ticket.

DA5 Chamax Plague/Horde can be used as a pair of merc missions, too. There's an adaptation to a Striker-adjudication merc mission in JTAS.

Leitz January 4th, 2013 10:31 PM

I have spent a few minutes reading the IG stuff and plotting the demise...err...glory of the adventurers. Fortunately for me only one player so far knows much of the OTU but I'll have enough curves to throw that he may be surprised.

I will probably get the CT CD for Striker and LBB Mercenary. While MgT isn't bad I'm going to need Striker for Morale and wound levels. The JTAS tickets are probably a good idea as well, funding allowing.

Dragoner January 4th, 2013 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leitz (Post 417253)
Wow, I wasn't even aware of them. Can you tell I've been out of the loop for a long time? A Google search lead to several web pages.

Very cool, thanks!

Sweet. :)

PS: The CT disk is worth every penny imo.

aramis January 5th, 2013 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoner (Post 417260)
Sweet. :)

PS: The CT disk is worth every penny imo.

So is the JTAS disk.

Orr January 5th, 2013 03:21 AM

Striker II has some missions in it, but they're either TNE era or focused so I don't know if they'd be of much use without a bit of rework.

MCEvans January 5th, 2013 04:03 AM

CT Supp 6 has 16 tickets in the back and Ticket 3 is a counter to the one in Bk4 :devil: