Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   The Lone Star (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Low Berth - Dare You? (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=14545)

Mithras December 3rd, 2007 04:35 PM

Low Berth - Dare You?
 
Has anyone lost a character during Low Berth travel???!

far-trader December 3rd, 2007 04:45 PM

Are you crazy! PCs never travel low. Gamble on the popsicles surviving sure, but get in one of those ice coffins, NEVER! Got a few lowberth travel tickets during muster out? Sold for Cr900 each without a second thought :)

Most PCs know the ref wouldn't kill them though. It'd be something worse :devil:

Jeff M. Hopper December 3rd, 2007 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by far-trader (Post 243228)
Are you crazy! PCs never travel low. Gamble on the popsicles surviving sure, but get in one of those ice coffins, NEVER! Got a few lowberth travel tickets during muster out? Sold for Cr900 each without a second thought :)

Most PCs know the ref wouldn't kill them though. It'd be something worse :devil:

Speak for yourself. I've lost two PCs due to failed Low Berth survival rolls over the years. One was just a deader, end of mini-campaign. The second was a fugitive on the run and his corpse ended up being a mystery for the next group of Traveller players to solve.

The Thing December 3rd, 2007 05:52 PM

I guess the risks of low berth travel vary with the edition, it's damn near impossible to lose someone in gurps traveller IF a competent medic oversees the revival.

As to players never travelling low berth, that surprises me as I'd gathered it was not uncommon to begin an adventure with "You awaken from low berth to find a dead crewman near your berth controls. He apparently died while activating your wakeup sequence. There doesn't seem to be anyone else in the area...."

far-trader December 3rd, 2007 06:07 PM

Yep, that's a common meme, but usually only used to begin game, not in the middle of a campaign where the players have a choice, in my experience.

And you're correct it would depend on the rules. Even in CT it's not that bad with a decent medic. But our group started with CT, found decent medics to be scarce, and never overcame the fear :) If they could be convinced that it was safe, and that they wouldn't miss anything during jump, they'd probably do it. They'd live longer and save money.

Of course if I told them this and explained it all rationally, they'd immediately shift their suspicion to the Captain and imagine she is going to sell them into slavery and they'll wake up deep in Vargr space aboard some mining outpost :devil:

I wouldn't do that, really :D

Mithras December 3rd, 2007 06:54 PM

Yes, we've all seen Alien Resurrection!

The Thing December 3rd, 2007 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by far-trader (Post 243234)
Yep, that's a common meme, but usually only used to begin game, not in the middle of a campaign where the players have a choice, in my experience.

And you're correct it would depend on the rules. Even in CT it's not that bad with a decent medic. But our group started with CT, found decent medics to be scarce, and never overcame the fear :) If they could be convinced that it was safe, and that they wouldn't miss anything during jump, they'd probably do it. They'd live longer and save money.

Of course if I told them this and explained it all rationally, they'd immediately shift their suspicion to the Captain and imagine she is going to sell them into slavery and they'll wake up deep in Vargr space aboard some mining outpost :devil:

I wouldn't do that, really :D

Subjectively the players wouldn't live longer due to low berthing, they'd still experience about the same lifespan.

An advantage to normal travel is you can spend the week in jump reading up to improve a skill by a point or at least get some study time in to build up points towards a higher or new skill,or healing a wound. Would you rather arrive at your next adventure with a fresh gunshot wound or one that'd been healing for a week?

Likewise you could practice your fast draw technique if you have a room with a full length mirror.

Scott Martin December 3rd, 2007 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Thing (Post 243243)
<SNIP>Likewise you could practice your fast draw technique if you have a room with a full length mirror.

Just don't use a laser pistol...

As for low berth travel, just don't do it in one of Dan's (Far Trader's) games... it tends to complicate your life ;)

Scott Martin

Spinward Scout December 3rd, 2007 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Thing (Post 243243)
Subjectively the players wouldn't live longer due to low berthing, they'd still experience about the same lifespan.

At least one of the versions (can't remember which offhand) wanted you to keep track of being 'in-berth' just because it did effect your apparent age. If you jump every other week or once a month, that's a good percentage of your life.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Thing (Post 243243)
Likewise you could practice your fast draw technique if you have a room with a full length mirror.

Is it required to do Robert DeNiro quotes when you do, tho?

Bob Weaver December 6th, 2007 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mithras (Post 243227)
Has anyone lost a character during Low Berth travel???!

I mostly ignored that rule in my games. That's a very plot-defeating trick to pull on the PC's: "Oh by the way, you're dead" is hardly conducive to great adventure. As to NPC's, I'd never had an adventure plot where that occurred to me as a helpful plot device. I put it with a few other rules, like mis-jump; it should be included when the Ref wants to use it, not randomly inflicted on the players.

Best Regards,

Bob W.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (c) 2010-2013, Far Future Enterprises. All Rights Reserved.