Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   The Lone Star (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Essential Trade Goods (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=39072)

robject May 16th, 2018 04:28 PM

Essential Trade Goods

When it comes to trade, I prefer rolling directly for things, and letting those things modify the price based on what they are and what world they're from.

Surely there is an essential set of trade goods that work well in any setting (and it seems that Book 3 was a good attempt).

And it shouldn't be a HUGE list. Again, Book 3 seems to be a good attempt.

What do you think should be in that list?

Exotics/Uniques - what kinds?
Luxuries - what kinds?
Manufactured - what kinds? Is this == Technology?
Technology - what kinds? Is this even a category?
Industrials? Or is this the same as Manufactured?
Agriculturals?
Pharma?

aramis May 16th, 2018 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robject (Post 587011)
When it comes to trade, I prefer rolling directly for things, and letting those things modify the price based on what they are and what world they're from.

Surely there is an essential set of trade goods that work well in any setting (and it seems that Book 3 was a good attempt).

And it shouldn't be a HUGE list. Again, Book 3 seems to be a good attempt.

What do you think should be in that list?

Exotics/Uniques - what kinds?
Luxuries - what kinds?
Manufactured - what kinds? Is this == Technology?
Technology - what kinds? Is this even a category?
Industrials? Or is this the same as Manufactured?
Agriculturals?
Pharma?

Book 3 is a little too short. T20's list of 100 feels much more complete, while still being manageable.

In fact, I'd say, "Use T20's list"... and the rules for Double occupancy and steerage... I had a finger in on 2 of the three, so I'm biased.

tjoneslo May 16th, 2018 11:23 PM

http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Dis...ad.php?t=13160

This is the speculative trade cards from the T20 goods list. Rather than roll dice, you can shuffle a deck of cards and draw them out.

robject May 17th, 2018 12:55 AM

Some of those items look familiar... I bet Marc imported some into T5.

The Book 3 list is at times perhaps TOO low level. For example, metals are broken down, as are vehicles, and ammunition is separate from weapons (even though in that case they have the exact same characteristics).

I admit it's hard to keep the list below 100 items... here's 58. If I can keep it around 64 I'll be happy.

Agricultural (nitrates, seedstock, livestock)
Antimatter
Archaeologicals/Fossils
Armor
Aromatics
Art (Monumental Art, Museum Items, Writings, Recordings, Masterpieces, Music)
Branded Commodities
Chemicals (Precipitates, Particulates)
Coins/Currency
Computers

Contemplatives
Crafted Items
Crystals
Cybernetics
Data
Decorations
Disposables
Educationals
Electronics
Emitters/Blockers

Encapsulants
Ephemerals
Equipment
Excretions
Exotics
Fauna
Fibers
Flora
Food (Delicacies, Drinkable Lymphs, Decoctions, Fermented Fluids, Flavorings, Juices, Liquor, Meats, Nectars, Nostrums, Nutraceuticals, Nutrients, Spices, Tisanes, Wines)
Gems

Gravitics
Industrial Materials (abrasives, biologics, gases, ices, dyes, minerals, isotopes, carbon, catalysts, chelates, corrosives, hydrocarbons, dusts, silanes, sludges, radioactives, fluidics, metals, allotropes, alloys)
Insidiants
Insulants
Jewelry
Machinery
Magnetics
Minerals
Non-Fossil Carcasses
Obsoletes

Organics
Osmancies
Pelts/Furs
Pharma
Photonics
Polymers
Reparables
Robots
Secretions
Sparx

Synthetics
Tactiles
Textiles
Tools
Vehicles
Wafers
Weapons
Woods

mike wightman May 17th, 2018 02:17 AM

Emm, its actually in LBB2... :)

infojunky May 17th, 2018 06:04 AM

I have been playing with the Bits 101 Cargos book. Which Mongoose so nicely reprinted in one of the later splatbooks Supplement 13 Starport Encounters (I Think)

robject May 17th, 2018 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike wightman (Post 587032)
Emm, its actually in LBB2... :)

Yeah. That always throws me, and I second guess myself into error.

robject May 17th, 2018 11:12 AM

New thought for the day.

After I bugged Marc for awhile, ten years or so ago, I like to think I pressured him into creating the commodity tables for T5.

Which are nice and all, but I wanted them to influence pricing, in the way that Book 2 commodities establish a base price. Okay I said it: I want the commodities to establish the base price, like Book 2 does it.

I think grouping commodity types based on their base price and market effects is a way to get a smaller table but a variety of items. For instance, a subordinate table for Book 2 that listed alternate commodities based on similar value and niche.

That would also allow the Book 2 table to be adjusted, since there are many entries that are for all intents and purposes duplicates except in name.

Major B May 17th, 2018 01:41 PM

Rob, I'm following this thread with much interest because it nests with the Beowulf project I am working on. I hope that the end result of this discussion will be useful in that project but I haven't found a way to contribute yet to the discussion.

I have a sort of tangential question but I don't think it is so much of a tangent that it needs a new thread. If you disagree, let me know and I'll cut this off to another location.

If this discussion leads to a better table for common goods, what about the uncommon ones? I would like to see something holistic that has the small chance for that lottery-winning cargo that looks like something no one would really want. Can that be incorporated into the final result?

Don't know if you've read Peter Hamilton's Night's Dawn Trilogy so I'll paraphrase from the first book for an example of what I'm thinking of. A merchant captain finds a world (Norfolk) that is purposefully kept low tech (about TL4-5) but produces a rare and highly sought after alcoholic beverage at a specific season. Then he learns of another world (Lalonde) that is just beginning colonization but has a tree composed of extremely dense hard wood. He is the only one to make the connection, buys a hold full of logs though everyone thinks he is crazy, and parleys that into a hold full of Norfolk's beverage and gets rich selling it.

So while the beverage (food, liquor) is covered in your table, rough-cut tree trunks are not part of your agricultural sublist. I understand the desire to keep the list as short as possible so don't extend the list to cover every possibility but can there be a general purpose entry for "that one rare thing" that doesn't seem valuable but in the right place at the right time can be a game changer?

timerover51 May 17th, 2018 01:55 PM

The problem I have with the trade goods table is that not every planet is going to have all of those trade goods available. A low population planet with a corrosive atmosphere is not going to be exporting massive quantities of agricultural products or industrial goods. A low population planet is going to be limited overall in what trade goods are going to be available, as there is a finite limit at to what they can produce.

A High Tech Level, High Population planet with a standard atmosphere will likely have everything for sale, but a planet like Lydia in the Glisten sub-sector in the Spinward Marches with the planetary characteristics of E110430 and a Tech Level of 6 is not going to have a whole lot of trade goods to offer. Now, how they will pay for their imports might be the starting point for an adventure.