Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Software Solutions (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Coding "Joy of the Day" (JotD) (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=36468)

Leitz July 27th, 2016 10:58 AM

Coding "Joy of the Day" (JotD)

Working on my CT Character Generator while learning more Ruby and OOP. Figured out how to set the default Career based on Soc. Low is "Other", high is "Noble", and in the middle is Citizen.

Now, of course, to make the modules with those careers...

What's your Coding JotD?

robject July 27th, 2016 11:35 AM

Pawing through the GURPS JTAS discussion articles, scraping off most URLs and dead links, re-linking forward and backward navigation, indexing the topics, and making it generally a bit more suitable for a CD-ROM for Marc.

Perl rocks at this sort of activity.

Leitz July 27th, 2016 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robject (Post 545377)
Pawing through the GURPS JTAS discussion articles, scraping off most URLs and dead links, re-linking forward and backward navigation, indexing the topics, and making it generally a bit more suitable for a CD-ROM for Marc.

Nice! Perl is great for that sort of task. If it didn't make me physically naseaus coding in it I'd probably still be there. Or at least better than I am now. :)

robject July 27th, 2016 12:21 PM

Well, they say Ruby is a dialect of Perl.

I've started learning Perl6. You wouldn't find it nauseating. Much more Rubylike. References, sigils, arrays of arrays, strong typing, methods instead of functions, OO, and more are like Ruby, and unlike Perl 5.

Reban July 27th, 2016 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robject (Post 545377)

Not a coder, but it made my day to know this work is happening :D

agorski July 27th, 2016 04:46 PM

Pretty much every day: adding a chunk of code to my next T5 iOS app and getting a warm fuzzy feeling after running it in the simulator and seeing the new functionality.

Unfortunately, this is often cancelled out by the horrible results generated by the buggy T5 design, so I usually have to modify the T5.09 rules and post what I did to the T5.09 Errata thread.

:(

robject July 27th, 2016 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agorski (Post 545413)
Pretty much every day: adding a chunk of code to my next T5 iOS app

I don't remember asking: Swift 2?

agorski July 27th, 2016 05:43 PM

Everything I've written so far has been in Xojo (nee RealBasic, RealStudio).

maggot-iiss August 3rd, 2016 10:38 PM

Coding "Joy of the Day" (JotD)

A few major ones over the years (I`m not smart, but persistant)

Becoming proficient with Java (my favourite)

Reading (text) from Travellermap.com .sec files & returning Jump-9 destination lists from any hex, sector boundaries notwithstanding. (Location 0101 has destinations in 4 different Sector files).

Creating hexes of any size for printing.

Creating web pages and indices of links to other pages.

XML for use in creating tables (aligned columns) from .csv files and putting in .html files

Creating small Graphics with up to 20 lines of short text (justifiable)

Receiving alien words from tables in Alien Modules with one click at will.

T5 world generation

T5 Star System Maps (UWPs included) basic but works.

Double clicking in a list of possible destinations to jump position and automatically change display and highlight relevant hex with TAS Travel Advisory

Overlaying .gif files and using transparency.

Some files in File Library recently uploaded.

Learning basics of CSS to `style` output.

Automating Beltstrike (just not pretty, but sort of works)

and.................................(sorry, it`s late here).

Traveller gave me reason to learn programming (after 25+ years, you get an epiphany or 10)

Heaven & Earth gave me so much inspiration (but no source, sadly. I was too late for that)

nobby-w August 4th, 2016 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robject (Post 545379)
Well, they say Ruby is a dialect of Perl.
[ . . . ]

More like a cross between perl and smalltalk.

I miss smalltalk.