Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Space Badger's Reaver's Deep (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   [SBRD] Prep: setting discussion (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=30664)

SpaceBadger August 2nd, 2013 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz_Brown (Post 447261)
How about a patron? Someone on whose name/reputation they might be able to draw very occasionally?

That is along the lines of what I was thinking, but Dave has said he'd rather have cash, and ErianFrost says he'd rather have a gun, so...

I dunno, if it was me, I think it would be cooler and more valuable to have a patron or club membership.

You sure, Dave?

DaveChase August 2nd, 2013 08:11 AM

yup, cash, so I could buy some cool item before play :)

Jame August 2nd, 2013 10:05 AM

Is there room for another player? And is it alright if I use the Scavenger career that I posted on this website?

atpollard August 2nd, 2013 11:46 AM

I'll let the ref answer about room ...

... but for my 2 cents, a Scavenger might be amazingly appropriate for the setting. :)

[but you probably need to add a link so the ref can find the career you are referring to.]

Was it this SCAVENGER CAREER?

SpaceBadger August 2nd, 2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jame (Post 447290)
Is there room for another player? And is it alright if I use the Scavenger career that I posted on this website?

Hi, Jame! I'm actually kinda boggled at the idea of GMing for eight players - I was expecting more "too busy" responses and instead got more "yes" responses than I was expecting - plus my two sons decided they wanted to play - anyway, let me see how it goes with eight and then maybe we could let you add in later? Actually, there is one other guy "in line" ahead of you that asked me last week, and I told him we were full up.

Just let me see how it goes with eight - I think the most I have ever GMed the old-fashioned way was five, and this is my first online GMing.

SpaceBadger August 2nd, 2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveChase (Post 447285)
yup, cash, so I could buy some cool item before play :)

OK, fine w me!

subbob August 2nd, 2013 07:47 PM

Saying Hi
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 447314)
Actually, there is one other guy "in line" ahead of you that asked me last week,

*pops up & waves* "Yep, that would be me." :)

I told SpaceBadger that I would follow along and keep up with the plot lines in the event an opening (or two) becomes available for more PCs.

It's been a long time since I've done PBEM or play by post; but I suspect the number of players may be less of an issue. (Especially since at any time one or more of the group may be idle, taken up by RL, etc)

However, I do think it's best to get it going first and see how it runs.

Who knows what may happen? Perhaps one of those NPC crew members fails to perform, the robotic steward malfunctions, or one of the "patrons" joins the menagerie after a less than stellar mission... LOL

SpaceBadger August 4th, 2013 01:07 PM

I find that I was incorrect earlier, in discussion w LiNeNoIse, about Vilani colonies in Reavers' Deep. I was relying on the fact that several worlds have Vilani names, and that this was near the edge of Vilani exploration and colonization. Yesterday I took another look at the historical maps included w MegaTraveller Referee's Manual, and it appears the Ziru Sirka actually never got any further than Daibei sector. Those Vilani-named worlds must have been colonized during the Rule of Man, perhaps from Vilani-majority homeworlds.

I don't mind pushing the frontier back a bit, just makes the Deep a wilder place, never even completely surveyed. I will however be disregarding the companion historical map in MT Ref Manual that shows the RoM never extending into the Deep, as that is contradicted by the work of the Keith brothers, and if we disregard their work we really have almost no canon history of the Deep.

By the way, little known fact (which I just invented, as there is nothing to contradict me): on early maps, the sector was referred to by the RoM cartographers as Riftrim Deep; it was only later, after the heyday of the pirate bands known as Reavers, that the sector gained its current name. The Riftrim name survives only as the name of one of the coreward subsectors of the Deep.

SpaceBadger August 4th, 2013 04:04 PM

Since I am backdating abt 1900 years prior to the standard 1105 setting, I am taking the liberty of renaming some worlds to more closely match their original explorers/settlers (assuming as someone suggested that they may later be renamed in the next 1900 years to what we see on the standard sector maps).

So... I don't happen to speak (or read, or write) any variety of Chinese. Can someone point me at a good source of Mandarin or Cantonese names for systems colonized by the Celestial League in the rim-spinward corner of the Deep, or do I have to go with my fallback standard of just getting a map of China and copying some placenames that sound good? (I'm sorry, but Gustave, Delilah, Zack, Galloway, Miranda, and the rest just don't work for me as a bunch of systems colonized by ethnic Chinese direct from Terra.)

rancke August 4th, 2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 447537)
So... I don't happen to speak (or read, or write) any variety of Chinese. Can someone point me at a good source of Mandarin or Cantonese names for systems colonized by the Celestial League in the rim-spinward corner of the Deep, or do I have to go with my fallback standard of just getting a map of China and copying some placenames that sound good? (I'm sorry, but Gustave, Delilah, Zack, Galloway, Miranda, and the rest just don't work for me as a bunch of systems colonized by ethnic Chinese direct from Terra.)

What if they are racial Chinese directly from San Francisco, Terra?


Hans

SpaceBadger August 4th, 2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rancke (Post 447539)
What if they are racial Chinese directly from San Francisco, Terra?

Then why bother to mention it in the Library Data, if it means nothing more than genetic factors affecting hair and skin color, but has nothing to do with culture?

Anybody have an answer to my actual request, for a good source of Chinese-language system names?

rancke August 4th, 2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 447546)
Then why bother to mention it in the Library Data, if it means nothing more than genetic factors affecting hair and skin color, but has nothing to do with culture?

Who says it has nothing to do with culture? It could be a highly romanticized reconstructed culture, made up out of a hodge-podge of historical sources centuries after the original settlements.

Mind you, changing the names works fine too. I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here.


Hans

atpollard August 4th, 2013 07:09 PM

An actual map of China probably has lots of city, town and Provence names that should work for worlds.

Important cultural locations, like emperor's palace names or castles.

Chinese Natural Wonders

subbob August 4th, 2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 447537)
So... I don't happen to speak (or read, or write) any variety of Chinese. Can someone point me at a good source of Mandarin or Cantonese names for systems colonized by the Celestial League in the rim-spinward corner of the Deep

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Villages_in_China

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_in_China

SpaceBadger August 4th, 2013 11:03 PM

I must remember to thank Hans for playing Devil's Advocate and burying my original question, in which I asked:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 447537)
So... I don't happen to speak (or read, or write) any variety of Chinese. Can someone point me at a good source of Mandarin or Cantonese names for systems colonized by the Celestial League in the rim-spinward corner of the Deep, or do I have to go with my fallback standard of just getting a map of China and copying some placenames that sound good? (emphasis added)


rancke August 5th, 2013 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 447592)
I must remember to thank Hans for playing Devil's Advocate and burying my original question, in which I asked:

I guess the sensible thing for me to do is to stop trying to help lest I inadvertently commit the awful solecism of burying any more of your questions.

Good luck with your campaign.


Hans

Fritz_Brown August 5th, 2013 12:26 AM

I use Behind The Name to find personal names, though it only has "Chinese" and doesn't distinguish Cantonese from Mandarin.

For place names I often use wikipedia and other resources on place names. (I used it to find city names for Coventry (RD 3207).)

SpaceBadger August 5th, 2013 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rancke (Post 447607)
I guess the sensible thing for me to do is to stop trying to help lest I inadvertently commit the awful solecism of burying any more of your questions.

Good luck with your campaign.

Aw, chill out. I apologize if I offended you. I was simply being sarcastic about the irony of two posters attempting to help by offering the exact same thing (names from a map) that I had already mentioned in my initial post on the subject.

I have appreciated your assistance so far, and hope to see more if you see fit.

samuelvss August 5th, 2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 447620)
I have appreciated your assistance so far, and hope to see more if you see fit.

Remember that place names tend to get "repackaged" a lot from origins that may themselves be obscure. I think that the requisite level realism will maintained, for those of us who don't speak any Chinese language or dialect, as long as you use any source....other than the NTSB. ;)

SpaceBadger August 5th, 2013 04:32 PM

Two new blog posts: one long one with expected schedule this week to begin play, suggested methods of posting, rules we will be using, and my basic philosophy on GMing a game. The other post is also long, but I hope somewhat entertaining, is an example of game play.

I will definitely have suggested homeworlds and some info about the pre-game journey of the Fortunate Son posted tonight, so you can finish out your character backstories and be ready to play.

SpaceBadger August 6th, 2013 12:17 AM

New Blog Post w List of Possible Homeworlds, plus Pre-Game Journey of the Fortunate Son

Two things for players to do:

1. Choose your homeworld for your PC's backstory.

2. Decide where along the way your PC joined the crew:
a) already on crew prior to change of ownership/name

b) joined crew at one of the worlds listed in the itinerary

c) not yet onboard, waiting to join ship at first stop in Reaver's Deep
I still need to discuss w Sabredog (Captain Rhodes) about any details he may want to add to the pre-game journey, and determine exactly which world he wants to visit first in the Deep (either Kaduggur 3223, or Devonia 3125).

SpaceBadger August 6th, 2013 03:38 PM

Just wanted to let y'all know that I received the ship plans from Sabredog last night, and they look great. Next thing is for me to take the specs that he sent me, put that together w the compartment key and deck plans and a few details I need to add, make a nice PDF out of all that, and post it for your enjoyment.

Unfortunately, today has been a bad day healthwise, and I haven't been able to get any work done at all, neither the real kind that pays money nor the Traveller kind. I hope to be doing better this evening and get the ship PDF posted.

Back to sleep now. :(

SpaceBadger August 7th, 2013 04:22 PM

Coding some of the starports for backdated worlds in the Long Night is giving me some issues.

For example, a starport that includes construction facilities for starships is automatically a class A port; that is part of the definition of class A. The problem is that in most of the systems w surviving class A ports, that construction capacity (in this setting) is devoted almost entirely to production of military starships, either for attack or defense depending on the orientation of the system.

Civilian production is very low; most freighters are somewhat old and decrepit, with only the richest lines on the best routes able to afford new ships often. Civilian traffic is also very low compared to what we are familiar with in other eras; after all, that is one of the distinguishing features of the Long Night, the collapse of central authority and subsequent vast reduction in interstellar trade, leaving individual worlds and subsectors pretty much to their own resources.

This suggests to me that the civilian portions of these class A ports will be a lot less than what we are used to; rather than the "bustling seaport" analogy, even the class A's will be more like minor ports, mostly servicing local non-starships and the few freighters for what little interstellar commerce remains. In this setting, the major difference between A and B ports versus C and D ports will be the capability of building ships, not the relative amounts of traffic and facilities. In this setting, the civilian portions of A and B ports are not a lot different from C and D.

I haven't decided the best way to present this in Library Data. I'm using the standard classes in UWPs; if it can build starships, it is class A, regardless of civilian facilities. Obviously I will be describing each port as it is visited by the PCs, but I would like to have something they can reference when planning voyages. I guess I can include a note on port facilities (such as is known) in the Library Data text; if they don't read it, they may get a surprise.

rancke August 7th, 2013 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 447929)
For example, a starport that includes construction facilities for starships is automatically a class A port; that is part of the definition of class A.

Not so, although not all Traveller writers have realized it. HG allows worlds with the requisite technology to build warships regardless of their starport class. It follows that there are (or can be) worlds with Class E starports that nevertheless have (military) shipyards. It follows that the starport rating deals with civilian traffic, not military.

Quote:

The problem is that in most of the systems w surviving class A ports, that construction capacity (in this setting) is devoted almost entirely to production of military starships, either for attack or defense depending on the orientation of the system.
Then they're not Class A.

Quote:

Civilian production is very low; most freighters are somewhat old and decrepit, with only the richest lines on the best routes able to afford new ships often.
Allow me to suggest a variant starport rating: Class B denotes worlds that can provide annual maintenance and repair, but not new civilian construction (At least not to outsiders). Class A have civilian yards, ship- or boat- as the technology supports.


Hans

SpaceBadger August 7th, 2013 05:10 PM

OK, back to work on the ship. I'm not well enough today to drive into town to my office (also main routes through town are reported very congested with detour traffic from the flooded parts of I-44), but I can go sit at the table with my laptop and work on the ship, as I want to get it posted tonight, so I can then work on the "first post" to set the scene for getting play started tomorrow.

Sabredog already did all the hard work of designing the ship, specs, deckplan, compartment descriptions; I am just editing it all together into one package to post as PDF for easy reference (plus figuring out the "ship's business" stuff like salaries and ship-shares and regular operating expenses).

SpaceBadger August 7th, 2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rancke (Post 447936)
Not so, although not all Traveller writers have realized it. HG allows worlds with the requisite technology to build warships regardless of their starport class. It follows that there are (or can be) worlds with Class E starports that nevertheless have (military) shipyards. It follows that the starport rating deals with civilian traffic, not military.

Thank you, I did not realize that, either. I have the first edition High Guard, but never really got into it much as we didn't run Navy campaigns.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rancke (Post 447936)
Allow me to suggest a variant starport rating: Class B denotes worlds that can provide annual maintenance and repair, but not new civilian construction (At least not to outsiders). Class B have civilian yards, ship- or boat- as the technology supports.

And then true class A ports are those with enough construction capacity to also build new civilian starships? Yeah, that could work - although I will need to change starport classes on a few worlds I've already done, it would be worth it to have meaningful UWPs from here on forward.

rancke August 7th, 2013 05:33 PM

Ooops. The second 'Class B' should have been 'Class A'. I've corrected that in the original post. My intend was to suggest that 'Class B' indicate better facilities than a Class C (most importantly, annual maintenance), everything BUT ship/boat construction.


Hans

SpaceBadger August 7th, 2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rancke (Post 447942)
Ooops. The second 'Class B' should have been 'Class A'. I've corrected that in the original post. My intend was to suggest that 'Class B' indicate better facilities than a Class C (most importantly, annual maintenance), everything BUT ship/boat construction.

OK, yeah, I missed that. Sounds good as you have it now.

SpaceBadger August 8th, 2013 01:34 AM

[SBRD] Fortunate Son First Draft

Didn't get as much done today as I had hoped, but here is the first draft of the Fortunate Son specs, details, and deckplans.

I didn't get all of the details of shipboard equipment finished, or the "ship's business" part w shares and finances, or the current condition of the ship.

But I did get all of Sabredog's specs and notes added and edited, and a lot of additional material added to go with his stuff, and his deckplans added, so you can look at all of that stuff.

I'll do the rest tomorrow - but if tomorrow goes like today as far as my ability to work, then I expect that we will be starting the game on Friday rather than tomorrow.

Sabredog and other players: please take a look and let me know if there is anything that we talked about that I have left out.


Zzzzzzzz.

DaveChase August 8th, 2013 06:24 AM

Not to be to big of a pain but

Medical should be in either room 18 or 19 not all the way in the back away from the passengers. Also 18 and 19 are close to the lower deck entry ways

another question/issue
What no lifts from cargo to the engineering or cargo to upper deck?

We have to man handle all things from one deck to the other?

Dave Chase

SpaceBadger August 8th, 2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveChase (Post 447983)
Not to be to big of a pain but

Medical should be in either room 18 or 19 not all the way in the back away from the passengers. Also 18 and 19 are close to the lower deck entry ways

No problem, I'll change the descriptive text.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveChase (Post 447983)
another question/issue
What no lifts from cargo to the engineering or cargo to upper deck?

We have to man handle all things from one deck to the other?

As you probably noted in the Passenger Freshers text, Sabredog and I were discussing adding either a lift-shaft or a passenger entry airlock. We decided to go with the airlock, as it keeps passengers out of the cargo bay. There are now direct entry ports on every deck; with grav lifters available, there should be no need to man-handle anything through verticals.

I also added a large-ish (3m x 3m) hatch that could open down into cargo from crew commons for rare use when needing to hoist something big.

SpaceBadger August 9th, 2013 02:15 AM

Another "not good" day for working. :( I made some suggested revisions to the Fortunate Son Ship Document, wrote some stuff about equipment, copied Sabredog's stuff about the Launch - not a lot accomplished. Kinda stuck on the ship-share stuff, and too medicated to think clearly to figure it out.

Finally feeling a little better now, and here it is after 1AM. :oo: Maybe get some work done now, but can't stay up too late, due to med appts tomorrow.

We will start the game tomorrow, Friday 8/9. :)

And no, that isn't a late start - I've been saying "or Friday 8/9" on the schedule all along, just in case of days like this. :D

SpaceBadger August 9th, 2013 04:55 AM

Here is the Final version (I hope!) of the Fortunate Son specs, deckplans, description, and other info.

Tonight (Friday 8/9) I will post the "First Post" for the campaign, giving y'all the current situation and asking for your actions.

Unless y'all make up some sort of shift/duty schedule, I will roll randomly to determine who is on duty, who is off-duty but awake, and who is asleep when the ship comes out of jump.

Current players are:
Onboard the Fortunate Son:
Sabredog - Hampton Rhodes, Captain and Pilot
ErianFrost - Kalos Thar, First Officer and Pilot/Navigator
ATPollard - Max Black, Chief Engineer and Chief Steward
DaveChase - Doc Freeman, Medical Officer and Cargo Chief
Samuelvss - Leo P. Henry, Asst Engineer and Security
ChaosBennett - Gayne Maize, Asst Medic and Security
Three NPC crewpersons (see p.12 of ship info)
"Grounded" on Destination World:
Fritz_Brown - Donoma Lafitte, Navigator Extraordinaire
Unknown:
LiNeNoIse - no character submitted for approval yet
Gonna be fun, folks! :D

DaveChase August 9th, 2013 02:34 PM

I would like to see partition doors along the crew hallway that would be there to keep the guest from looking or moving down into the crew quarters when they are walking to the launch.

I am assuming that maybe they got removed by the prior captain as an inconvenience.

Not talking bulk head or super strong doors, but doors.

Dave Chase

SpaceBadger August 9th, 2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveChase (Post 448141)
I would like to see partition doors along the crew hallway that would be there to keep the guest from looking or moving down into the crew quarters when they are walking to the launch.

I am assuming that maybe they got removed by the prior captain as an inconvenience.

Not talking bulk head or super strong doors, but doors.

Dave Chase

Most passengers don't need to be traipsing around crew quarters or crew commons, and certainly not up to the Bridge Deck. If passengers need to be transported in the Launch, it can connect a tube to the passenger airlock (Portside F, to the rear of the Psg Lounge). If a passenger is invited back to crew territory, they see it warts and all.

Hmm, maybe I ought to move Med Bay to Stateroom 20, to keep them out of crew area completely.

DaveChase August 9th, 2013 09:58 PM

Doc Freeman asleep and there is a card game going on??

He must either be sick or they (the crew playing) purposely did not tell him about the game.

SpaceBadger August 9th, 2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveChase (Post 448169)
Doc Freeman asleep and there is a card game going on??

He must either be sick or they (the crew playing) purposely did not tell him about the game.

*Shrug* I just rolled to see which pilot was on the bridge, then rolled for each other PC and NPC to see if they were awake or asleep. The ones that were awake got to play cards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 448090)
Unless y'all make up some sort of shift/duty schedule, I will roll randomly to determine who is on duty, who is off-duty but awake, and who is asleep when the ship comes out of jump.

Maybe Doc had a tiring day; everyone has to sleep sometime.

If he wakes up from transition and goes to see who else is awake, maybe he could join the game?

EDIT: If I knew how, I would move this post and the one before to [SBRD] OOC Discussion.

DaveChase August 9th, 2013 10:07 PM

It's nothing serious but Doc does gamble/play cards a lot when he isn't working.

SpaceBadger August 9th, 2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveChase (Post 448174)
It's nothing serious but Doc does gamble/play cards a lot when he isn't working.

See above - random determination of awake or asleep.

From now on Doc is yours, and you can keep him awake all "night" whenever you want - although I wouldn't want him operating on ME the next day! :oo:

We do have an OOC thread, you know...

SpaceBadger August 10th, 2013 05:27 PM

New blog post early this AM re Combat Rules. Comments and suggestions welcome.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (c) 2010-2013, Far Future Enterprises. All Rights Reserved.