Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   In My 2300 Universe (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   We Come from France! (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=34509)

LiNeNoiSe June 14th, 2015 03:37 AM

We Come from France!

I've been re-reading many of the threads over here and I got to wondering about something.

Did anybody ever run a campaign in which the French were not the bad guys? :)

WhiteSpider June 14th, 2015 11:43 AM

We come from France

Read the title and thought the post was going to be about Coneheads.

McPerth June 14th, 2015 11:44 AM

Well, I've never played one where the French were the bad guys, if that helps...

After all, the game itselfs offers quite a lot of bad guys (Provolution, AmCo, etc...) and, while Tricolor is French, they are even against their own government.

And, as government sanctioned bad guys, INAP comes to my mind before any French organization.

LiNeNoiSe June 21st, 2015 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteSpider (Post 509548)
Read the title and thought the post was going to be about Coneheads.

I was hoping to attract attention. I guess it didn't work.

LiNeNoiSe June 21st, 2015 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McPerth (Post 509549)
Well, I've never played one where the French were the bad guys, if that helps...

Yes. Thanks. Most websites I've seen ignore or marginalize the French, or at least treat them with suspicion.

Quote:

After all, the game itselfs offers quite a lot of bad guys (Provolution, AmCo, etc...) and, while Tricolor is French, they are even against their own government.

And, as government sanctioned bad guys, INAP comes to my mind before any French organization.
That seems to have changed a bit in 2320. They used the Foreign Legion against their own people on Kimajano.

McPerth June 22nd, 2015 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiNeNoiSe (Post 510088)
That seems to have changed a bit in 2320. They used the Foreign Legion against their own people on Kimajano.

Never been involved in 2320. Not the first time in history that an army is used against its own citizenry, though...

epicenter00 June 25th, 2015 05:32 PM

France is the superpower of 2300, so they have their fingers in a lot of pies. They're not necessarily evil in my 2300. They have their own interests that they try and advance, but that makes them no different than anyone else in the 2300 world, it's just they're more able to do it than say, Texas or one of the *stans.

I sometimes use them as villains and sometimes use them as saviors; sometimes they are enemies and other times they are allies.

Players run into French who hate France and despise it for its excesses and inabilities. There are others who think France is great and represent what is best in humanity. Both groups are right.

LiNeNoiSe June 28th, 2015 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McPerth (Post 510090)
Never been involved in 2320. Not the first time in history that an army is used against its own citizenry, though...

I think you're missing the point. They used the Foreign Legion against their own people.

Nothing will infuriate rebels more than using foreigners against them.

See Hessians in New Jersey.

McPerth June 28th, 2015 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiNeNoiSe (Post 510429)
I think you're missing the point. They used the Foreign Legion against their own people.

It's still regular French army, even in composed by foreign elements.

Quote:

I don't need to go so far. The Spanish Legion and other African troops (Regulares, Tiradores de Ifni,...) where used quite a lot in Spanish Civil War, as integral part of the Spanish Army.

JBRocky October 24th, 2015 04:27 PM

Quote:

What McPerth said its still part of the French Military is and staffed by French Officers. But then the Legion is kind of used to do the dirty work.

But more to the point I don't use the French as the bad guys. In my games they have their own goals which don't always mesh or play nice with others which can cause trouble, but that's what PC's opportunities. But at the same time I do have French NPC's that can be over bearing and not well liked, but I do make sure at some later time to make sure it is the French that save the day.