Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Space Badger's Reaver's Deep (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   [SBRD] OOC Discussion: Chapter 01 (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=30671)

Fritz_Brown August 14th, 2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 448880)
That was true when I worked on my old truck in the 70s and 80s, but modern cars have those computer chips that needs expensive diagnostic equipment that only dealer-garages usually have.

In actuality, those fancy computers can be had for <$100. Almost all they do is read the codes and display what they mean. Yeah, there's fancier stuff at the dealership, but you can get most of it for pretty cheap.

Not that it's here or there, but some of the "you gotta have this fancy tool" stuff is just a little guild protection at work. ;)

sabredog August 14th, 2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atpollard (Post 448909)
The Model 4 computer and Jump 2 capability are both TL 11 per LBB2.
Almost everything else is TL 10 from your description of the ship.

That's where I came up with the TL 10/11 rating for the ship.

Per LBB2 & 3 a Model 4 TL 10. Not 11.

sabredog August 14th, 2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 448906)
I now have UWPs and can easily make maps for several more subsectors around the one that you are in; however this is pretty much all data that you would need to buy locally, would not have from prior work area in central Daibei.

If you want this info, maybe buy a sector Libray Data pkg by laser-comm to give you time to study it on your way in-system to Devonia.

I'd be willing to buy an update for the Library as soon as you tell me what's in the ship's funds.

SpaceBadger August 15th, 2013 12:30 AM

New blog post; since we have at least three players not familiar with the OTU, and since none of us are very familiar with this setting 2000 years in the past from most OTU campaigns (and I'm making up a lot of it as I go!), I wrote a little history piece, and also included this map:

Please read the history! I kept it as short as I could, probably about the length of one typed page. It is important for good roleplaying that you know something about the place and time in which your characters live!

http://bearpapa.pair.com/spacebadger...istory-Map.png

Geography lesson:

Traveller map subsectors are arranged in a 4x4 pattern within each sector,
and are identified with capital letters in this pattern:

A B C D
E F G H
I J K L
M N O P

Urlaqqash subsector (where the ship is currently visiting Devonia system)
is in the "L" position within Reavers' Deep sector.

So now you know! :)

SpaceBadger August 15th, 2013 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabredog (Post 448918)
I'd be willing to buy an update for the Library as soon as you tell me what's in the ship's funds.

I've been working this evening on the setting. See newest blog post.

Now I'll put something together on cargo carried and operating funds.

Fritz_Brown August 15th, 2013 01:15 AM

Little wood carvings of "swans"........
Oh, and postholers.

atpollard August 15th, 2013 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabredog (Post 448917)
Per LBB2 & 3 a Model 4 TL 10. Not 11.

I stand corrected.
The computer is TL 10 and it was just the Jump 2 that was traditionally TL 11.

atpollard August 15th, 2013 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz_Brown (Post 448925)
Little wood carvings of "swans"........
Oh, and postholers.

What about those 'come-alongs' that you use for pulling wire fences tight before tacking it to the post with staples?

And some real old copies of 'Popular Mechanics' with instructions for building a steam tractor with your backyard forge ... just in case the hard times just keep getting harder. ;)

sabredog August 15th, 2013 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atpollard (Post 448926)
I stand corrected.
The computer is TL 10 and it was just the Jump 2 that was traditionally TL 11.

"Traditional" under HG only. There are no TL restrictions in LBB2 except to the computers, and LBB3 says drive H and lower are TL 10. Since in LBB2 drives are all or nothing affairs that depend only on the mass of the hull they are installed in for limiting performance you can have a high jump capability at even TL 10.

It'd be like sticking a Wright/Cyclone 1820 radial engine from a B-17 on a dual engine airframe (like maybe a Grumman Goose) and ending up with a really fast plane. Same TL, just different results from different applications.

Now naturally this would cause some problems and probably tear apart the airframe, or at least make the plane really hard to handle and effectively unsafe to fly - kind of like the GeeBee type designs with monstrous engines and tiny airframes, and like those designs, only a really good pilot could handle them. In the game this can be modeled by things like Pilot and Engineering skills and rolls required at high levels maybe. But that's up to the ref if he/she wants to go that far into details.

Me, I just decide which rules I'm going to use and stick within those parameters. SpaceBadger says we are using LBB2 so I used LBB2 and LBB3 to check for TL limits. The TL for this ship is 10 according to those rules.

SpaceBadger August 15th, 2013 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabredog (Post 448918)

The Fortunate Son has Cr25,000 in its Operating Fund. I'm still working on the cargo.

Local Library Data update will cost Cr100.