Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   2300AD & 2320 (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Favorite module? (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=7659)

clementk December 11th, 2003 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Richard Baker:
Ah, yes: Ad Astra, which doesn't have implacably hostile aliens but which does have a Pansolar War that nearly wipes out human civilisation [img]smile.gif[/img]

If you take a look at my Designers' Notes, you'll see that 2300AD was a direct influence on the design of the setting.

hmmm anything that references 2300AD *and* Iain Banks and Diamond Age and...(bookmark) :cool:

Casey

rcdb100 December 12th, 2003 02:59 PM

Quote:

hmmm anything that references 2300AD *and* Iain Banks and Diamond Age and...(bookmark) :cool:
Thanks. As a special bonus, here's the first "teaser" for the first book of Ad Astra:

http://www.theculture.org/rich/sharp...es/000085.html

This forms a sort of fictional companion pieces to my factual articles "The Economics of Space Transportation" and "The Economics of Interface Transportation":

http://www.theculture.org/rich/sharp...es/000057.html

(Both articles are, I suppose, relevant to the 2300AD history before the invention of stutterwarp, says he trying to be at least a little on-topic.)

Waldemar June 6th, 2008 06:57 PM

I would say that Aurore Sourcebook certainly was one of my favourite sourcebooks. It is a good setting, with an interesting colonial environment (eventhough a bit deadly :smirk:) and used the kafer threat in a manageable way.

Would it be my favourite today with 2320 AD? It still stands well, but the premise has been done quite a lot of times. I hope for a new, fresh take with 2320 AD. Maybe there is a new distinct setting in the wake?

ElHombre June 6th, 2008 11:14 PM

The Kafers are one of the best alien races I've ever come across, but as far as favorite module...

Bayern. Takes one out of the arms, all right.

Anders June 7th, 2008 08:54 AM

My favorite is the Colonial Atlas. So many interesting planets, ecosystems and societies. It is a great demonstration that you don't need a galaxy-spanning setting to have a big setting: distance is measured in number of interesting things, not lightyears.

oletheros June 7th, 2008 03:37 PM

My copy of the Colonial Atlas has no spine, but is instead held together by a piece of masking tape. It's dog-eared and well-thumbed and it is one of my prized possessions.

Kzintosh June 8th, 2008 05:32 AM

Aurora sourcebook is tops, followed by the Colonial Atlas. Concerning adventures, I'd say Ranger, and the entire Kafer arc of scenarios.

Peter Schutze June 9th, 2008 11:45 PM

>So many interesting planets, ecosystems and societies.
>Aurora sourcebook is tops, followed by the Colonial Atlas.

If they'd done 5-6 page summaries of the Aurore Sourcebook data for each of the systems in the Colonial Atlas, the Atlas would have been a SciFi classic.

As published there is so much dross in the Atlas and its painfully obvious that it was created in isolation by different people, both of which seriously detract from the quality.

Aurore sourcebook is one of my favourite modules for any SciFi game, far eclipsing anything I own for Traveller

dan891 June 19th, 2008 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Schutze (Post 266589)

If they'd done 5-6 page summaries of the Aurore Sourcebook data for each of the systems in the Colonial Atlas, the Atlas would have been a SciFi classic.

As published there is so much dross in the Atlas and its painfully obvious that it was created in isolation by different people, both of which seriously detract from the quality.

Aurore sourcebook is one of my favourite modules for any SciFi game, far eclipsing anything I own for Traveller

Agreed. The Aurore SB was great, seriously one of the best modules released for any game - although in retrospect the military section on the French is just too influenced by the works of Bernard Fall.

Colonial SB on the other hand, as you say, is just too much of a mishmash. There is just not enough coherence - some nations colonies have significantly different governments on different worlds thanks to differing authors etc..

Also do have a soft spot for Invasion for overall framework in spite of its weaknesses. Nyotokundu was also pretty good.

Thumbs down to Op Overlord, just rubbish, and Rotten to the Core, ditto..

Peter Schutze June 19th, 2008 10:23 PM

>some nations colonies have significantly different governments on different worlds

That i dont find a problem, probably because I live in a commonwealth country and am aware of the various governments Britain has used over the centuries.

My problem is the total lack of consistency in contents eg the treatment of system, ecosphere, colony setup details. This has been improved by Colin in 2320 but could still have been done FAR better.