Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Citizens' Information Centre (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Some thought on recent events in the Pit (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=16570)

JAFARR August 1st, 2008 12:22 PM

Some thought on recent events in the Pit

In my devotions this morning I read the 13th chapter of Romans. Let me quote a few verses. 1 Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. ... 3 For rulers are not a cause for fear for good behavior ... 7 Render all is due them: tax to whom tax is due; custom to whom custom is due; fear to whom fear is due; honor to whom honor. 10 Love does no wrong to a neighbor; love therefore is the fulfillment of the law.

On this site, the monitors are the government, Because we all make mistakes, there are multiple monitors and ways to appeal their rulings. Someone refused to take a monitor's warnings and eventually was banned. I don't know if banning means you can't access the site or that you just can no longer post in the forums, but I would guess the later. Hopefully also banning in for a given time frame not permanently, at least for the first time.

We all have disagreements, but there are ways to deal with those disagreements. The best way I know is summed up in that tenth verse above when it is coupled to the Golden Rule, "Love your neighbor as yourself." There are times we have to agree to disagree and move on.

far-trader August 1st, 2008 12:52 PM

Well, back before Hunter changed the login restrictions banning meant you couldn't post but could still lurk. Now though it's either a double whammy (no posting and no looking) or an encouragement to register a new account to stay up to date on what's happening while you sit out your ban.

aramis August 1st, 2008 02:56 PM

One can still read (and lurk) without logging in EXCEPT: the pit, the moot, T5

you lose the tracking of recently updated threads.

Only people I ever permanently ban are those who spam, make threats of criminal behavior (haven't had to yet), or request it.

Moved to Website Issues, where it belongs

far-trader August 1st, 2008 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 274791)
One can still read (and lurk) without logging in...

I was going to say "Nope, not since the latest rebuild/server move, try it." :)

But first I went to do it myself to get the right "notice" to quote.

Interesting... things have changed. Again.

I still get the "Welcome! To see more of this thread, please login or register." message under the first post of a thread when going from the forums front page. But I can now shortcut past that through the "today's posts" link and get the whole thread.

Very odd, and I think it used to be restricted no matter how you came in if not logged in. Unless I just didn't try the shortcuts but I think I did.

Spinward Scout August 2nd, 2008 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by far-trader (Post 274769)
an encouragement to register a new account to stay up to date on what's happening while you sit out your ban.

I believe that's called sock puppetry. Maybe only if you post.

far-trader August 2nd, 2008 12:18 AM

Yep it would be sock puppetry if the banned person posted while banned. That would probably get one a perma-ban since it's one of Hunter's big don'ts iirc.

aramis August 2nd, 2008 01:46 AM

Perma on both. Not advised.

far-trader August 2nd, 2008 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 274791)
One can still read (and lurk) without logging in...

And now again, nope :) Not sure why I could sneak past the gate yesterday (cookies maybe) but today there was no way around without logging in. You get just the first post of any thread and the notice to register or log in to read more.

aramis August 2nd, 2008 06:48 PM

I checked using a different browser, and, I was able to read threads.

Today I can not. Hmm.

JAFARR August 2nd, 2008 08:39 PM

I was hoping to encourage some decorum in the pit by this post, not criticize any action taken. We can all be agreeable in our disagreement.