Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Cepheus General (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   Cepheus Engine vs Mongoose Traveller (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=39088)

Dulinor May 21st, 2018 12:19 PM

Cepheus Engine vs Mongoose Traveller

I didn't find any thread dedicated to this subject, so I created one.

What differences are there between the rules of Cepheus Engine and those of Mongoose Traveller 1st edition?

robject May 21st, 2018 08:13 PM

Not much, if I understand correctly. Cepheus omits certain elements that are protected under Traveller's copyright, presumably.

kilemall May 22nd, 2018 12:16 AM

So for instance absolutely no mention of the 3I, or any subelement of such.

Imperial Marines are not there, and TAS as an org and a benefit is styled the Explorer's Club.

Branding and content scrubbed squeaky clean.

middenface May 22nd, 2018 06:43 AM

Off the top of my head.
More careers.
Like the original CT, there is no mention of anything that is setting
No events table in each career.
Weapon recoil and autofire is handled differently
Spacecraft tonnage is capped at 5000 dtons - not 2000 dtons (there is a book in progress to go beyond this)

Gypsy Knights Games May 22nd, 2018 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dulinor (Post 587180)
I didn't find any thread dedicated to this subject, so I created one.

What differences are there between the rules of Cepheus Engine and those of Mongoose Traveller 1st edition?

Ian's response is pretty much what I would have said. Jason did an excellent job pulling Cepheus Engine together and its well worth your time checking it out.

And you can check it out free of charge. Jason has it up on Drivethru RPG for free. I can't post links here but it is not difficult to find.

rhialto May 23rd, 2018 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gypsy Knights Games (Post 587268)
Ian's response is pretty much what I would have said. Jason did an excellent job pulling Cepheus Engine together and its well worth your time checking it out.

And you can check it out free of charge. Jason has it up on Drivethru RPG for free. I can't post links here but it is not difficult to find.

Not to mention it's also freely editable, and ripe for DIY works. Clement Sector might have taken advantage of that. ;)

middenface May 23rd, 2018 04:56 AM

Is cheaper too!

Gypsy Knights Games May 23rd, 2018 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhialto (Post 587291)
Not to mention it's also freely editable, and ripe for DIY works. Clement Sector might have taken advantage of that. ;)

Oh most definitely! :)

Quint May 23rd, 2018 01:08 PM

I'm a big fan of CE, been editing a copy for my home campaign and tweaking the things I want to work a certain way - like re-adding some of the Canon material.

It feels like a cross between CT and Mongoose - and really, it was Mongoose 2E that sold me on just editing and using CE. I simply refuse to spend more money on 2E versions of books that I (for the most part) already have.

D.

Adam Dray May 23rd, 2018 01:51 PM

Yeah, that's right: There's an editable (MS Word DOCX) version of the Cepheus Engine SRD on DriveThruRPG. It's pay-what-you-want. Search for "Cepheus Engine SRD, Modifiable Version."

It's great for campaign guides for your players!