Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   In My Traveller Universe (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Mapping a new universe (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=32937)

Hanson's Roughriders July 15th, 2014 02:14 AM

Mapping a new universe
 
Starting on MTU and basically using the rules and my fluff. My issue is mapping, how do I use the sub sector maps etc if there is a border? (making a 2d universe) Is there any other suggestions ?

lspitz July 19th, 2014 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanson's Roughriders (Post 484071)
Starting on MTU and basically using the rules and my fluff. My issue is mapping, how do I use the sub sector maps etc if there is a border? (making a 2d universe) Is there any other suggestions ?

Traveller subsectors have never implicitly mapped to political boundaries- they're just a cartographic grid. There's lots of examples in canon of subsectors that are split between two or more interstellar governments. If you like the format, just place your star systems and draw your borders wherever they may fall. If you don't like the 8x10 format, there are lots of alternatives you could use. 8x8, 10x10, hexagonal, etc.

I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that the original 8x10 subsector format was picked because it is a convenient number of hexes and fits neatly on one page of a digest-size booklet.

JimMarn July 19th, 2014 10:18 AM

I drew a large map area containing many sectors. Then drew empire, etc. borders on that map.

on this page are both Galaxy Arms I am mapping.
http://travellergame.drivein-jim.net...eller-universe

Quint July 19th, 2014 05:07 PM

For what it is worth, in YTU you are also free to mess with any of the nomenclature that you wish. I keep the "subsector" measurements, use "quadrants", but then have "sectors" as far more ill-defined "political measurements" rather then discrete measures of a space that generally correspond to the OTU measurements but not always or exactly.

All depends upon how messy you like it or want it - also depends upon what stellar transport system you are using. Jump gates might make the whole notion meaningless for example.

D.

RandyB July 19th, 2014 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quint (Post 484566)
Jump gates might make the whole notion meaningless for example.

D.

Unless your map is not real-space astrographic, but is instead a jumpline map.

Marchand July 19th, 2014 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyB (Post 484575)
Unless your map is not real-space astrographic, but is instead a jumpline map.

There is no way a 2D map (that is, a map with only 2 coordinates for a point) can be real-space astrographic because it's impossible to represent the relative positions of multiple points in a 3D space in a system with only 2 coordinates. Unless the Galaxy really is only 1 hex thick, or you only have 3 systems, in which case you're fine!

JimMarn July 19th, 2014 11:45 PM

I would love to see a way to represent a 3D galaxy, in map and location of the stars.

Well, at a scale usable by my eyes.

mike wightman July 20th, 2014 02:31 AM

Photocopy the hex map onto clear acetate and stack them. Use different size and colour circle to represent system location for each sheet so it's a bit easier to see where stuff is when you stack them.

Alternatively roll 2d6-2d6 for each system and note number, it represents distance above/below the plane.


Note if you want "realism" you will need to go 150 parsecs above and 150 parsecs below and you need to roll for every 1 "cubic" parsec for a system.

RandyB July 20th, 2014 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marchand (Post 484577)
There is no way a 2D map (that is, a map with only 2 coordinates for a point) can be real-space astrographic because it's impossible to represent the relative positions of multiple points in a 3D space in a system with only 2 coordinates. Unless the Galaxy really is only 1 hex thick, or you only have 3 systems, in which case you're fine!

"...within the confines of the Traveller 2D mapping convention."

Axe-grinding down the hall, please.

Marchand July 20th, 2014 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyB (Post 484602)
"...within the confines of the Traveller 2D mapping convention."

Axe-grinding down the hall, please.

Just pointing out that it isn't mathematically possible, in case the OP got sent off on a wild goose chase trying to do it.

My axe is monomolecular-sharp already, thanks (...which also isn't possible! well, probably not anyway)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (c) 2010-2013, Far Future Enterprises. All Rights Reserved.