Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Classic Traveller (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   CT in King Minas' Labyrinth (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=37702)

san*klass May 14th, 2017 07:37 PM

CT in King Minas' Labyrinth

Being highly inspired by the excellent "Mercator" supplement for CT, I have been toying with and seeking inspiration from it for the last few weeks.

Although it is a fantastic piece of work I have been wanting something a lot less civilised, and so been researching the Minoan culture of some 2,500 - 1,500 earlier than Mercator's Roman Empire setting.

The Minoans had a Bronze Age trading empire all across the eastern Mediterranean, from the Black Sea to Egypt. And a very different, matriarchal, more egalitarian society than much that followed. They centered their towns around massive, thick walled "palace" complexes that seemed to have ruler, religious, manufacture and trading aspects. Their religion seems to have a single (but multifaceted) goddess, who is very often pictured with snakes entwined around both arms. And they seemed to regularly place young men and women in a bull arena, unarmed, to acrobatically dance with and leap over the enraged animals (maybe the origin of the young people sacrificed to the Minotaur in that legend?). And so all-in-all, I think, quite an interesting culture to play CT in.

It doesn't hurt either that, due to the scholars inability to decipher their tongue and writings (Linear A), much is left open to debate, so giving me a wide opportunity to design it mostly as I like, but still be faithful to at least one learned opinion.

I have just started to lay pen to paper and begin to write my campaign setting and amended rules. And so it is early days. But, if anyone is interested I will be able to share my setting and rules at some point (when I finally finish !)

rhialto May 15th, 2017 07:23 AM

I'd be interested in it.;)

Jame May 15th, 2017 05:59 PM

This is a great idea. I've always enjoyed the Minoans.

timerover51 May 15th, 2017 09:45 PM

Are you working off of the Time-Life books on them? Those are reasonably well-done. I have 4 books covering the Minoans. You also get to play around with the Greeks of the Trojan War period as well.

san*klass May 16th, 2017 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timerover51 (Post 566196)
Are you working off of the Time-Life books on them? Those are reasonably well-done. I have 4 books covering the Minoans. You also get to play around with the Greeks of the Trojan War period as well.

Thanks to everyone for your encouragement.

To answer timerover51 - I haven't got the Time-Life books (although probably wish that I did!) and so I am just working from the myriad (sometimes contradictory) on-line sources. I have loved Ancient Greek mythology and history from being about ten, and so have a little sense as to the general setting. But the Minoans are mostly new to me - although very inspiring.

I do intend to play near the end of the Minoan era and so do plan for my Players to knock heads with the growing Mycenaean Empire. That and the Thera Event plus a politics/rivals arc form my long term campaign story arc plans.

I only have careers worked out so far, but will publish here as I am able to.

timerover51 May 16th, 2017 12:58 PM

As you are in the US, you should be able to get the books on interlibrary loan, especially as one of the does have a fair amount about the Thera event. I will have to get my copies out and send you the information to you so that you can get them. For game design purposes, they would be more than adequate. Based on when you are placing the game in history, there are a couple of other books you might want to check out as well. I will have to get them out and send you that info as well.

mike wightman May 16th, 2017 01:04 PM

You also get to sort out the mystery of Atlantis...

rhialto May 16th, 2017 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike wightman (Post 566242)
You also get to sort out the mystery of Atlantis...

I was about to suggest Poul Anderson's "The Dancer from Atlantis" for inspiration.;)

mike wightman May 16th, 2017 07:15 PM

I was thinking of the BBC TV series from a couple of years ago - which sadly got the costumes of Minoan females completely wrong, but I suppose it was for family viewing.

I remember reading that there was some evidence that Minoan ships may have made it to the British isles to trade for tin ore and silver.

san*klass May 16th, 2017 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timerover51 (Post 566240)
As you are in the US, you should be able to get the books on interlibrary loan, especially as one of the does have a fair amount about the Thera event. I will have to get my copies out and send you the information to you so that you can get them. For game design purposes, they would be more than adequate. Based on when you are placing the game in history, there are a couple of other books you might want to check out as well. I will have to get them out and send you that info as well.

timerover51, I am actually ten miles outside Glasgow in Scotland, but just never got around to changing my profile details - oooppss! All done now though.

We too have an interlibrary service though, so any details (ISBN if possible, please) are greatly appreciated.

I am planning to play at the very end of the Minoan era, with the Thera Event and Mycenaean expansion as major ongoing matters. They will start as backdrops, growing steadily in importance as the campaign grows. So I guess I had better get a good Minoan Rumor table working !!