Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Software Solutions (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Heaven & Earth 2 Source Code (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=18858)

ArchCarrier March 17th, 2009 11:08 AM

Heaven & Earth 2 Source Code

Some of you may remember me I'm the guy who wrote World Builder Deluxe, Heaven & Earth and was working on Heaven & Earth 2. Unfortunately, I gave up working on HE2 due the constant interference from real life and I have not been able to undertake any further work on the project and never will.

However, my hard drive contains several folders full of Visual Basic source code for the project and I am prepared to pass it on to another programmer to see if they can take the project through to fruitition.

Anyone who participated in the Beta will know that the Sector Module was very close to completion, as was the Universe Module. Some work had been carried out on the System/World Module, but this was not significantly advanced to warrant a Beta.

If anyone wishes to consider taking this task on please reply to this thread.

Unfortunately, I have not kept any of the builds for WBD or HE1, so please don't ask me for those.

Regards,

Stuart Ferris

Hemdian March 17th, 2009 01:47 PM

Hi Stuart

Glad to see youíre still around. Your magnificent HE1 program inspired me to learn VB6 and write Universe. One thing, however, Iíd like to be able to import the DTA files that HE1 produces into Universe but looking at a DTA file in notepad left me somewhat confused. If youíve lost the HE1 codebase I donít suppose you kept any documentation/notes/code snippets (any language) on the DTA format did you?

Andrew Boulton March 17th, 2009 03:17 PM

I'd love to see a H&E/Universe hybrid!

ArchCarrier March 17th, 2009 06:20 PM

Hemdian,

Glad to see a familiar face. Actually, I do still have the HE1 V1.0.8 source code and would happily provide this to you. if you like I can also give you the HE2 soure code which may assist help you out with Universe.

The HE2 Sector Generator is essentially a finished application. The only missing code was the implementation of the comms between the three modules.

Stuart

JAFARR March 17th, 2009 06:42 PM

What is H&E? Is it specifically for Traveller? If so, where can we find it?

Hemdian March 17th, 2009 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveChase (Post 309549)
H&E = Heaven and Earth
Yes, it was made for Traveller.
I don't remember where you can find it (the exact website) but it still there and available.

The main release (1.0.4) is available from Downport.

Hemdian March 17th, 2009 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArchCarrier (Post 309534)
Actually, I do still have the HE1 V1.0.8 source code and would happily provide this to you. if you like I can also give you the HE2 soure code which may assist help you out with Universe.

Stuart. That would very much be appreciated: yes please to both. Do you have somewhere you can upload it or do you want my email address?

ArchCarrier March 18th, 2009 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hemdian (Post 309556)
Stuart. That would very much be appreciated: yes please to both. Do you have somewhere you can upload it or do you want my email address?

I don't have an upload site and at just shy of 30megs its a bit large to send by e-mail. I should be able to sort something out, but contact me on the following e-mail address:-

stuartwferris@aol.com

Stuart

Hal March 20th, 2009 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArchCarrier (Post 309723)
I don't have an upload site and at just shy of 30megs its a bit large to send by e-mail. I should be able to sort something out, but contact me on the following e-mail address:-

stuartwferris@aol.com

Stuart

Hi Stuart,
I've requested to be able to access the source code. I'm not much of a programmer in Visual Basic (or anything else actually), although I dabble with Visual Basic 6 from time to time. I'm hoping to be able to see some spiffy coding and watch what it actually accomplishes in stead of trying to work with books that aren't geared towards that type of thing.

Sorry to hear that life is hitting a stretch where giving attention to Heaven and Earth 2 is problematical. :(

Hal

PS - I've got drive space available at my ISP for a webpage that I don't have up any more. If you want, you can always figure out a way to send me the files (including a CD if neccessary) and I can make it available for a short time at a makeshift website...

ArchCarrier March 23rd, 2009 05:31 AM

Hemdian is now the custodian of the HE & HE2 source code. Hopefully, he can use my work to add new features to Universe and take forward my ideas from HE into the future.

Stuart