Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Software Solutions (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Fantasy map generator (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=36542)

tjoneslo August 10th, 2016 09:09 PM

Fantasy map generator

I came across this on Hacker News. This looks like a much better map generator that other ones I've seen before.

http://mewo2.com/notes/terrain/

Leitz August 11th, 2016 11:10 AM

Nice! I need to figure this or something out, my on-line map skills are, uh. limited...

DickNervous August 11th, 2016 12:04 PM

Very cool.

aramis August 11th, 2016 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leitz (Post 546550)
Nice! I need to figure this or something out, my on-line map skills are, uh. limited...

I use hexographer or CC2 or CC3, depending upon my current needs... (Hexographer is Java; CC2/3 are windows, but I run them in Wine, and CC2 doesn't play nice in Wine.)

JimMarn August 11th, 2016 05:00 PM

Have you tried CC3 Plus yet ? Its faster at rendering effects than CC3. I still use CC3 for most of my Traveller and dungeon type maps.

aramis August 11th, 2016 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimMarn (Post 546574)
Have you tried CC3 Plus yet ? Its faster at rendering effects than CC3. I still use CC3 for most of my Traveller and dungeon type maps.

Nope. generally, I don't need the effects, and it's said not to play nice with Wine on Mac.

Leitz August 11th, 2016 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimMarn (Post 546574)

Nyah, false advertising. They say it works on "Windows 2000 or better" but won't run our our Linux or Mac machines, all of which are significantly better. :rofl:

JimMarn August 11th, 2016 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leitz (Post 546580)
Nyah, false advertising. They say it works on "Windows 2000 or better" but won't run our our Linux or Mac machines, all of which are significantly better. :rofl:

You might check the their forums. Several people run it under Wine on Linux.

I get what you mean, I had an Amiga computer for years. No parts for it now.

JimMarn August 11th, 2016 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 546579)
Nope. generally, I don't need the effects, and it's said not to play nice with Wine on Mac.

Is Crossover and Wine the same thing ? There is discussion about both on the Profantasy forums includng getting CC3+ to work under them on a Mac. Aso they talk about getting it to work under Codeweaver.

They have mentioned that currently CC3/CC3+ are 32-bit programs and don't use additional ram, nor any video cards.

aramis August 11th, 2016 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimMarn (Post 546587)
Is Crossover and Wine the same thing ? There is discussion about both on the Profantasy forums includng getting CC3+ to work under them on a Mac. Aso they talk about getting it to work under Codeweaver.

They have mentioned that currently CC3/CC3+ are 32-bit programs and don't use additional ram, nor any video cards.

Very closely related but not the same.

Crossover is built from the WINE sources, but is commercially developed, and deviates from the WINE codebase in significant ways. Most notably prior to the "Macintel", it was Wine plus an Intel to PowerPC JIT instruction translator.

For CC2, prior to CC3 release, Crossover was better than Wine. A significant change fed back into the Wine sources, and Mac's switched to intel processors, the revision of Wine became better for CC2 than Crossover. I let my crossover subscription lapse, because the only features it really added of any value for me was the font integration with MacOS.

I've not looked into Crossover since; I have Wine installed, and it works pretty well for many uses.