Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Random Static (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   "Serenity"; your thoughts. (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=33125)

Piper August 20th, 2014 09:04 PM

The DVD set has the episodes in production order. View "Serenity" after watching the complete Firefly series.

Popcorn is good. Nachos are better if your tastes run that way, :)

shadowcat20 August 21st, 2014 03:03 AM

Had Firefly on disc for a few years now. My lady and I have watched it through twice and I went through it a third time on my own. We also have the Movie on disc.

Ship lands, looks for fuel, passengers, and work in the first episode...sound familier?? Then Wash yells here we go Travellers when it takes off..again familier name? Look at what the crew did to pay bills..then look at LBB Sup 6 76 Patrons. CT had players doing a lot of things in the grey or even black areas. It was not all Jedi goodie goodie characters.

Yep..Firefly WAS traveller with a western twist..but then I liked that and the whole Browncoat thing. Characters were interesting, good interplay between them, lots of red herrings floating around to keep you guessing...and we will never know who Shepard Book was really.

I very highly suggest getting it.. and watch a few epesodes before passing judgement, it sort of grows on you after a while. It cancellation ranks right up there with Star Trek and Terra Nova as stupid network mistakes.

BlackBat242 August 21st, 2014 05:04 AM

I've got the complete Space: Above and Beyond series on DVD - as well as Firefly & Serenity.

Blue Ghost August 21st, 2014 04:09 PM

But, back to our normally scheduled program; Reban, what do you think of the ship itself, "Serenity"?

atpollard August 22nd, 2014 02:50 PM

Public Service Announcement :)

Topic split to allow both discussions to be pursued

SanDragon August 22nd, 2014 05:05 PM

Serenity. A Firefly. I want one.

Oy! Less Western! More frontier! The good guys were not running around in cowboy hats! Tha bad guys had tall hats.

I'll be in my bunk...

Putraack August 22nd, 2014 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Ghost (Post 487539)
So, as per my blog, I finally broke down and started watching this series. It's an interesting mix of space-opera/adventure and western.

I can't say I'm too partial to it though. I was wondering what everyone else thought of it.

I loved it then, and I love it now. It was the character interactions and developments that sold it for me. I got to see four episodes on broadcast, and pre-ordered the DVDs as soon as possible.

What stuck in my head, regarding science-fiction, was watching "Out of Gas"
on the same weekend as an episode of "Star Trek: Enterprise". In the "Firefly" episode, a fire aboard the ship is quickly dealt with by venting most of the atmosphere, which silently sucks the fire out into space, where it extinguishes rapidly. The whole sequence is maybe 5-10 seconds long?

On "Enterprise", the shuttle bay doors open wrongly, and the ship's atmosphere rushes out through an open hatch. While the captain... or someone, I forget,... crawls... using handholds on the deck... hand over hand... towards the open hatch... for a long time... while the ship's air continues to blast past him... it took a really long time, in my opinion. Far too long for the ship's automated systems or any one of the dozens of crewpersons to lock a hatch, or for the deck(s) to run out of air.

One of those shows, I am very dedicated to; the other one, I stopped watching at all. I was a Star Trek fan long before I became a Browncoat, or even a Traveller player, but the difference in writing was too stark for me to hang onto old loyalties.

Yeah, it's Traveller.

FWIW, I've played and run the Serenity RPG, too, and thanks to some great players, those were two of my favorite campaigns ever. (The older one from Margaret Weis Productions, not the newer "Firefly" RPG from the same company.) The boardgame from Gale Force Nine is also fun and Traveller-esque, given a small universe: "Find a crew, find a job. Keep flyin'."

Theophilus August 23rd, 2014 08:52 AM

I always get a kick out of seeing the Firefly class transport in the Battlestar Galactica episode.

When she's in the doctors office getting her cancer diagnosis, look out the window, watch the Firefly land in the background.

Stratoblaster September 2nd, 2014 09:44 PM

The real reason it got cancelled is because the people running Fox don't know anything about scheduling. You have a show that skews to a male demographic and when do you put it on. Of course the same time as Monday Night football. This is not the only show they did this too. Terra Nova is a more recent example of that. (Firefly is the better of the two) You can go back and check the records and find it happened a number of times.
Had they put on on Wednesday it might still be on.

leo knight September 3rd, 2014 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stratoblaster (Post 488886)
The real reason it got cancelled is because the people running Fox don't know anything about scheduling. You have a show that skews to a male demographic and when do you put it on. Of course the same time as Monday Night football. This is not the only show they did this too. Terra Nova is a more recent example of that. (Firefly is the better of the two) You can go back and check the records and find it happened a number of times.
Had they put on on Wednesday it might still be on.

You may be thinking of another show. In its original run in the US, "Firefly" aired on Friday nights.