Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Adventurers (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Controversial Imaah “Chesty” Chehesti, General, Imperial Marines, Retired Today (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=22013)

Meteoric Assault July 11th, 2016 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david.wendelken (Post 544404)
Gosh, some people don't like my sense of humor.

Okey-dokey. I hope all of them have a nice day anyway.

As for realism, do you think soldiers don't cuss? Because I have to tell you they sure as hell do. It's F'ing this, F'ing that. I'll count that word 5 to 10 times from just one person in just one conversation. It has no shock effect, it's like saying "uhhhh" every half-breath.

The difference is that most of them are not articulate about it.

Chehesti is articulate about her cussing. She cusses when she needs to "get shit done now!". She uses it like a surgeon's scalpel so people who need to know something get the point both intellectually, emotionally and quickly.

For an example, just before "The Battle of the Caves", Chehesti was told not to damage archaeologically valuable stuff while rescuing hostages. Her response, “Not to worry, sir! We won’t kill anyone who’s already <traditional Marine expression> dead," was extremely succinct. It meant, "That's the stupidest idea I've heard in a while, SIR, so I'm going rescue the hostages and be damned to the artifacts."

But she said it with true elan and thus the comment is very memorable, unlike my father, a US Army Captain who once told Gen. "Cider Joe" Stillwell that the general's orders to him were, and I quote, "That's the stupidest idea I've ever heard, sir." The general, after asking for and getting his explanation, agreed. Sometimes it's not what you say, it truly is how you say it. He did a fine job as an officer, but he stayed a captain.

Otherwise, she doesn't all that much. Her senate testimony is evidence of an ability to be extremely professional and civil under very trying circumstances.

History is full of truly capable military "characters". I suggest you read about the Filthy Thirteen (the real life paratroopers who inspired the Dirty Dozen) to see just how much talented soldiers can get away with. Patton drove leadership up the wall but he was tolerated because he got stuff done. T.E. Lawrence certainly had his oddities. Grant was described as a drunk to Lincoln. Lincoln suggested they find out what Grant drank and send a case to the rest of the generals. He could not spare Grant, Grant fought and won.

Chehesti got ahead on sheer merit helped along by extremely loyal soldiers in her command and a few lucky breaks that made her a popular heroine. She had difficulties because she wasn't from a noble background or even a middle class one. She was better than most of her fellow officers despite all their advantages and that caused problems for her. History is full of talented commoners forcing their way upwards into the ranks despite being held back by the nobles. Example: Pompey the Great. Thomas Becket.

Is Chehesti a bit over the top? Sure! So was Teddy Roosevelt! That man was an unstoppable dynamo of energy and determination.


I'm working on an extension to this material covering the Byret/Mora campaign in more detail. You'll be learning how Chehesti met a young Naval Intelligence officer by the name of Norris and how that worked out for both of them.

LOl you are killing me.. its "Vinegar Joe", my grandfather was a marauder in Burma...

atpollard July 11th, 2016 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meteoric Assault (Post 544406)
LOl you are killing me.. its "Vinegar Joe", my grandfather was a marauder in Burma...

"Vinegar Joe" was the father.
"Cider Joe" was his son.

Both Army Generals (not at the same time) ;)

Meteoric Assault July 11th, 2016 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atpollard (Post 544415)
"Vinegar Joe" was the father.
"Cider Joe" was his son.

Both Army Generals (not at the same time) ;)

oops.. i was mistaken...

SanDragon July 11th, 2016 09:41 AM

Aww. No butterbar in 1904?

I like Chehesti and knew it was most likely an homage as well as an humorous interpretation put into the far future.

Now, about Sgt York...

atpollard July 11th, 2016 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meteoric Assault (Post 544417)
oops.. i was mistaken...

Don't feel bad.
My Google-Fu is strong ;)

I had not heard of either of them and now I got to read about both of them because of your comment.

So, Thank you.

JimMarn July 11th, 2016 10:56 AM

I figured she was a name take off on Chesty Puller and didn't worry about it. She sounds kinda like my mom in that she didn't put up with much.

Back when I was in high school she worked in a bar. Due to local regulations only beer was sold. Some guy came in and got very drunk. He declared he was going to climb over the bar and start punching the watresses.

By the time my mother got done with him, verbally, he not only backed down, he apologized, then turned himself over to the police. Who came in the bar and asked about it. One of the other patrons told the police the guy had messed with the wrong woman. Apparently one of the knew her, and took the very drunk guy to jail.

I think he came back about a month later, apologized again, and never came back.

flykiller July 11th, 2016 11:51 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOHPuY88Ry4

Condottiere July 11th, 2016 11:56 AM

Staff Sergeant Khashi Mouse Khurlushasun, Unified Army of Rhylanor, apparently has an impressive vocabulary of Vilani swear words and phrases.

JimMarn July 11th, 2016 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flykiller (Post 544438)

I heard that song the first time it came out on the radio.

My mother tried to sign up for the US Army when WW2 started, they turned her down. She told me after I was in the Navy that if a police officer hadn't been standing there, she would have decked the recruiter. She had been hunting rabbits and squirrels to feed the family before she started high school. She was a crack shot with a .22 rifle. She was just over 5 foot 5 inches tall, and never weighed more than 100 pounds.

david.wendelken July 11th, 2016 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atpollard (Post 544415)
"Vinegar Joe" was the father.
"Cider Joe" was his son.

Both Army Generals (not at the same time) ;)

Correct!

They called him "Cider Joe" because he wasn't quite as sour as his old man, "Vinegar Joe".


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (c) 2010-2013, Far Future Enterprises. All Rights Reserved.