Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Adventurers (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Controversial Imaah “Chesty” Chehesti, General, Imperial Marines, Retired Today (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=22013)

SanDragon July 6th, 2016 10:59 PM

Congratulations.

Did she dress for it? :p

david.wendelken July 7th, 2016 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDragon (Post 544065)
Congratulations.

Did she dress for it? :p

She was very happy to be properly dressed for the occasion. :)

kilemall July 7th, 2016 10:27 PM

To me this character is as classic and 'necessary' as Captain Jamison.

Three huzzahs for Chesty!

timerover51 July 9th, 2016 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kilemall (Post 544161)
To me this character is as classic and 'necessary' as Captain Jamison.

Three huzzahs for Chesty!

I beg to strongly differ.

kilemall July 9th, 2016 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timerover51 (Post 544287)
I beg to strongly differ.

What, not realistic or behavior becoming of a marine much less an officer much less a heroic empire-wide marine officer?

The character is fun as hell, plays with all those marine stereotypes and a little bit of fan service, and delivers on protecting the Imperium when it counts. Hell yes classic character.

More to the point, its the kind of character that WOULD have inhabited the sci-fi mags and novels Traveller springs from.

And, given that the general consensus is that the Imperium is a government of men not of laws, most of the time propitious behavior is even MORE important to convey the 'right attitude and example' especially in the absence of ability, but 1000s of years of experience would also support a person who has personality quirks but commands the respect, affection and loyalty of their subordinates and gets it done.

timerover51 July 9th, 2016 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kilemall (Post 544289)
What, not realistic or behavior becoming of a marine much less an officer much less a heroic empire-wide marine officer?

The character is fun as hell, plays with all those marine stereotypes and a little bit of fan service, and delivers on protecting the Imperium when it counts. Hell yes classic character.

More to the point, its the kind of character that WOULD have inhabited the sci-fi mags and novels Traveller springs from.

And, given that the general consensus is that the Imperium is a government of men not of laws, most of the time propitious behavior is even MORE important to convey the 'right attitude and example' especially in the absence of ability, but 1000s of years of experience would also support a person who has personality quirks but commands the respect, affection and loyalty of their subordinates and gets it done.

I had the "privilege" of commanding a mixed unit in the Army. Have you ever commanded a mixed unit?

mike wightman July 9th, 2016 07:50 PM

Chesty is a bit of silly name for a woman, you may as well call her booby or some other derivation of mammary gland slang.

Meteoric Assault July 9th, 2016 07:52 PM

It is an amusing yarn, let the man indulge in his creativity...

whulorigan July 9th, 2016 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike wightman (Post 544296)
Chesty is a bit of silly name for a woman, you may as well call her booby or some other derivation of mammary gland slang.

I believe it is a play on the name Chesty Puller.

timerover51 July 10th, 2016 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whulorigan (Post 544321)
I believe it is a play on the name Chesty Puller.

For those who do not know, Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, was the most decorated Marine of World War 2, and managed to win 5 Navy Crosses without winning the Medal of Honor. His biography makes interesting reading. He retired as a Lieutenant General. I am not impressed with the play on words.