Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Random Static (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Movie Sword Fights (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=38758)

timerover51 February 10th, 2018 01:49 AM

Movie Sword Fights
 
I was browsing on YouTube and came across something on the 10 Best Movie Sword Fights. The fantastic sword fight between Inigo and Westley is in there, but what bugged me is that none of the epic fights of Errol Flynn were in it. There were three fights in Captain Blood, The Adventures of Robin Hood, and The Sea Hawk that make a few of the ones they chose sick. In the final fight in The Sea Hawk, part of the time all you see is the shadows of the fighters on the wall, not even the fighters themselves, which creates a terrific effect.

Just about the earliest movie fight that they mention is the Princess Bride one, but without those fantastic Errol Flynn fights, that would not be that special.

Disclaimer: I am not old enough to have seen the three Errol Flynn movies in the theater when they first came out. I do have all of them on DVD however.

I will not mention the top sword fight, as that would spoil things. However, I would put all three of Flynn's and the Princess Bride fight ahead of it.

aramis February 10th, 2018 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timerover51 (Post 582441)
I was browsing on YouTube and came across something on the 10 Best Movie Sword Fights. The fantastic sword fight between Inigo and Westley is in there, but what bugged me is that none of the epic fights of Errol Flynn were in it. There were three fights in Captain Blood, The Adventures of Robin Hood, and The Sea Hawk that make a few of the ones they chose sick. In the final fight in The Sea Hawk, part of the time all you see is the shadows of the fighters on the wall, not even the fighters themselves, which creates a terrific effect.

Just about the earliest movie fight that they mention is the Princess Bride one, but without those fantastic Errol Flynn fights, that would not be that special.

Disclaimer: I am not old enough to have seen the three Errol Flynn movies in the theater when they first came out. I do have all of them on DVD however.

I will not mention the top sword fight, as that would spoil things. However, I would put all three of Flynn's and the Princess Bride fight ahead of it.

I may be younger than you, but I have seen those E. Flynn fights...

And I tell you, as a heavy-blade fencer, fun as they are to watch, they're lousy as fights.

So many missed opportunities. A rapier duel looks far more like 1-4 minutes of circling, and a single telling jab you might not notice.

Condottiere February 10th, 2018 04:21 AM

Depends on the Channel; some commentators go more for realism than spectacle, especially those that appear to be instructors.

egor045 February 10th, 2018 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 582444)
I may be younger than you, but I have seen those E. Flynn fights...

And I tell you, as a heavy-blade fencer, fun as they are to watch, they're lousy as fights.

So many missed opportunities. A rapier duel looks far more like 1-4 minutes of circling, and a single telling jab you might not notice.

I'm not a fencer, but I recall the sword fights in Richard Lester's Three Musketeers movie from the 1970s looked very plausible. They used what looked like authentic weapons, with a lot of circling (when they didn't involve braining someone with a chair, or a kick in the nuts). Definitely not Errol Flynn-style duels.

TV Tropes has an article on "Flynning" which is quite interesting - http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Flynning

aramis February 10th, 2018 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egor045 (Post 582460)
I'm not a fencer, but I recall the sword fights in Richard Lester's Three Musketeers movie from the 1970s looked very plausible. They used what looked like authentic weapons, with a lot of circling (when they didn't involve braining someone with a chair, or a kick in the nuts). Definitely not Errol Flynn-style duels.

TV Tropes has an article on "Flynning" which is quite interesting - http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Flynning

The purpose of a beat (blade on blade contact) is to do either of (1) clear their blade, or (2)make a hole in their defense.
if their blade is clear, you thrust for flesh
If not, pick an approach to making a hole: Circle, beat again, wait, retreat for lunge or fleché.

If you take a beat as hard as Errol's, he's going past threat; spring up over, or down under his blade, tip in, and thrust. You do NOT counter beat; you try to go around his blade to let his momentum clear his blade.

You always want tip towards opponent, because the tip is what goes into the opponent. (Rapiers were, typically, sharp only for the last 10 to 30 cm.)

Reban February 10th, 2018 03:25 PM

Wasn't it in filming Robin Hood that Flynn was stabbed by an extra with an unprotected blade? He questioned the extra how this could happen and the extra told him the director told him to do it to 'increase the excitement'.

Flynn grabbed the director by the throat and asked: "Is this exciting enough for you?". :smirk:

Fovean February 10th, 2018 04:45 PM

My all time fave is still Ray Harryhausen's Kali sword fight in The Golden Voyage of Sinbad...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROssbvtE41U

timerover51 February 10th, 2018 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fovean (Post 582481)
My all time fave is still Ray Harryhausen's Kali sword fight in The Golden Voyage of Sinbad...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROssbvtE41U

A very good choice, I would say.

Nathan Brazil February 10th, 2018 08:13 PM

I'll bet none of Albert Pyun's movies made the list. :rofl: And yes the second pictured one is the actual direct sequel :oo: to the 1982 classic :eek:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1JW533FZKL.jpghttps://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....4L._SY445_.jpg

BlackBat242 February 10th, 2018 11:35 PM

My personal favorites:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFiLIsMieiQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS_tGk5cJ6w


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (c) 2010-2013, Far Future Enterprises. All Rights Reserved.