Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Classic Traveller (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   What weapons do police carry? (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=10520)

ACK!! December 30th, 2003 10:54 AM

I really hope that my characters do NOT mess with the police on their first adventure. However, one scene does have a short (hopefully) tense encounter with two cops.

What kinds of weapons would they carry on a high TL, high law world like Duale in the Mora subsector?

ACK!! December 30th, 2003 10:54 AM

I really hope that my characters do NOT mess with the police on their first adventure. However, one scene does have a short (hopefully) tense encounter with two cops.

What kinds of weapons would they carry on a high TL, high law world like Duale in the Mora subsector?

vutpakdi December 30th, 2003 11:30 AM

I would think that on a high tech, high law level world, the beat police wouldn't carry much by the way of weapons other than, say, stun batons and possibly some stun gas spray. High law level should mean that the likelihood of a violent confrontation is low.

On the other than, those same cops would still have communicators which could call in a heavily armed response team with military grade weapons...

Ron

vutpakdi December 30th, 2003 11:30 AM

I would think that on a high tech, high law level world, the beat police wouldn't carry much by the way of weapons other than, say, stun batons and possibly some stun gas spray. High law level should mean that the likelihood of a violent confrontation is low.

On the other than, those same cops would still have communicators which could call in a heavily armed response team with military grade weapons...

Ron

ACK!! December 30th, 2003 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ron Vutpakdi:

Ron

Good idea.

I was thinking about arming them with tasers or autopistols with only tranq rounds. It is a tolitarian oligarchy though.

Thinking about it from a real world perspective:

What kind of weapons do Chinese cops carry for example?

Do they not expect much resistance and therefore only carry non-lethal weapons or do they load up heavy?

ACK!! December 30th, 2003 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ron Vutpakdi:

Ron

Good idea.

I was thinking about arming them with tasers or autopistols with only tranq rounds. It is a tolitarian oligarchy though.

Thinking about it from a real world perspective:

What kind of weapons do Chinese cops carry for example?

Do they not expect much resistance and therefore only carry non-lethal weapons or do they load up heavy?

shield December 30th, 2003 12:33 PM

The good old snub pistol is always useful.

The basic 6 shot revolver is supplemented by an autopistol and a snubmachine gun (in some challenge issues).

The fact they can fire slugs, HE shells or tranq rounds is nice

Cheers
Richard

shield December 30th, 2003 12:33 PM

The basic 6 shot revolver is supplemented by an autopistol and a snubmachine gun (in some challenge issues).

Cheers
Richard

ACK!! December 30th, 2003 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by RichardP:

Cheers
Richard

I thought about a snub pistol. Here is my issue with the way snub pistols are handled in Adventures.

One one hand, they are listed as shipboard weapons that fire a round with very little recoil that then has a secondary charge that furthers the round to its target. That is cool. A great Navy sidearm I would think for Zero-G combat.

On the other hand, it is listed as and used almost like a common weapon by NPCs in adventures from the old JTAS issues. (If I remember right.)

So, which is it? Great Zero-G combat weapon?

Great all around weapon common across the Imperium?

ACK!! December 30th, 2003 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by RichardP:

Cheers
Richard

I thought about a snub pistol. Here is my issue with the way snub pistols are handled in Adventures.

One one hand, they are listed as shipboard weapons that fire a round with very little recoil that then has a secondary charge that furthers the round to its target. That is cool. A great Navy sidearm I would think for Zero-G combat.

On the other hand, it is listed as and used almost like a common weapon by NPCs in adventures from the old JTAS issues. (If I remember right.)

So, which is it? Great Zero-G combat weapon?

Great all around weapon common across the Imperium?