Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Classic Traveller (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Arming a free trader (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=10754)

Black Globe Generator February 22nd, 2006 02:26 PM

Type A free trader.

Two hardpoints. Two triple turrets.

What's your favorite suite of weapons for the workhorse of the merchant fleet?

(Book 2 or Book 5 approaches are both welcome.)

Black Globe Generator February 22nd, 2006 02:26 PM

Type A free trader.

Two hardpoints. Two triple turrets.

What's your favorite suite of weapons for the workhorse of the merchant fleet?

(Book 2 or Book 5 approaches are both welcome.)

robject February 22nd, 2006 03:11 PM

As a referee, my favorite mix is: no weapons at all.

As a player, I know that without a token defense, the referee will allow pirates to descend upon me like a pack of rabid hyenas. I'd be stupid not to stick a laser on that puppy.

As a pragmatist, I know that the cost of defenses are small potatoes compared to the cost of the ship, so a nice LMS x 2 mix would do nicely.

As a ship design system designer, I suspect that six beam lasers is beyond the capacity of the Type A power plant, and so I would figure out the likely limit and then build as closely to the limits as possible.

As a player of chaotic-good alignment (?), I would jam six missile launchers in there. Bring them on. I am ready.

robject February 22nd, 2006 03:11 PM

As a referee, my favorite mix is: no weapons at all.

As a player, I know that without a token defense, the referee will allow pirates to descend upon me like a pack of rabid hyenas. I'd be stupid not to stick a laser on that puppy.

As a pragmatist, I know that the cost of defenses are small potatoes compared to the cost of the ship, so a nice LMS x 2 mix would do nicely.

As a ship design system designer, I suspect that six beam lasers is beyond the capacity of the Type A power plant, and so I would figure out the likely limit and then build as closely to the limits as possible.

As a player of chaotic-good alignment (?), I would jam six missile launchers in there. Bring them on. I am ready.

far-trader February 22nd, 2006 03:24 PM

For many practical reasons it wouldn't be two triple turrets, it'd be two doubles, and a mix of pulse and missile in one and pulse and sand in the other. But that's just me.

OK, if you're forcing ;) me to take two triple turrets loaded with anything, um...

Book 2:
Dorsal turret - Two beam lasers and one missile launcher.
Ventral turret - Two pulse lasers and one sand caster.

Book 5 (2EPs):
Dorsal turret - Two beam lasers (factor 2+TL) and one missile launcher (factor 1+TL)
Ventral turret - Three sand casters (factor2+TL)

far-trader February 22nd, 2006 03:24 PM

For many practical reasons it wouldn't be two triple turrets, it'd be two doubles, and a mix of pulse and missile in one and pulse and sand in the other. But that's just me.

OK, if you're forcing ;) me to take two triple turrets loaded with anything, um...

Book 2:
Dorsal turret - Two beam lasers and one missile launcher.
Ventral turret - Two pulse lasers and one sand caster.

Book 5 (2EPs):
Dorsal turret - Two beam lasers (factor 2+TL) and one missile launcher (factor 1+TL)
Ventral turret - Three sand casters (factor2+TL)

robject February 22nd, 2006 03:28 PM

Better listen to Dan, he knows his stuff.

robject February 22nd, 2006 03:28 PM

Better listen to Dan, he knows his stuff.

far-trader February 22nd, 2006 03:33 PM

Ditto back at ya robject :D

far-trader February 22nd, 2006 03:33 PM

Ditto back at ya robject :D