Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   The Lone Star (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   History... (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=385)

Solo December 26th, 2001 11:55 AM

Would there be any interest in a hardbound book about the size of a standard set of rpg rules (320 pgs. or so) that had the complete traveller universe history? From the ancients to the New Era.

Absolutely no rules whatsoever, just history.

Vargas December 26th, 2001 02:29 PM

There's enough Traveller history out there; what I want to see is how to integrate it into the game and make it work for players and referees.

Besides, trying to get a group of people together to amicably write the book would probably require too many bodybags.

But hey, it could just be me. . .

Gatsby December 26th, 2001 03:01 PM

Fine by me....

Would love to see Vilani explained more, them being the heart of the Imperium and all!

Gats'

aramis December 26th, 2001 06:30 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gatsby:
Fine by me....

Would love to see Vilani explained more, them being the heart of the Imperium and all!

Gats'
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes! If it does that, I'd buy it.

But, it wold have to be able to support CT and MT as written. (in short, no written prohibitions on standard results from the CGen or combat systems... IE, no "All marines are BD troopies" kind of stuff, no gazelles with Black globes, etc.

------------------
-aramis
=============================================
Smith & Wesson: The Original Point and Click interface!

phydaux December 27th, 2001 01:07 AM

i'd rather see it as a series of novels.

kafka47 December 29th, 2001 09:18 PM

I would have to vote against novels, providing background. As novels are great but they should focus on plot and settings created other than those from history.

I would really favor a complete sourcebook of Traveller history because I think there is alot of wrong history that is floating out there. I know that Marc has that disclaimer that what is understood in 1116 would be different 200. Notwithstanding, for me I like games which emphasis background over rules. For rules one can modify and change. And, Traveller with all its incarnations, I am sure by now were all play variants of whatever rules we are most comfortable with.

My only concern would not have a book just filled with Library Data type background. There must be entertaining ways to tell the Traveller story. For me the ideal model would be what was found Rebellion sourcebook. One which presented often two sides to the same coin, allowing the referees to decide what is truth.

kafka47 December 29th, 2001 09:21 PM

Fine by me....

Gats'
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't have DGP's Cogs and Dogs? It explained the Vilani to the T. Also pick up the Travellers Digest that would cover Vland.

I am just interested how much of T20 will be devoted to History?

aramis December 30th, 2001 05:17 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kafka47:
You don't have DGP's Cogs and Dogs? It explained the Vilani to the T. Also pick up the Travellers Digest that would cover Vland.

I am just interested how much of T20 will be devoted to History?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do. But no more legal copies will be made (unless RS drops over dead), and it is "Forbidden Canon" last I heard. Something else bad about Vilani & Vargr is that it doesn't relate them into the workings and shaping of the late 3I.

A new treatment is in order. Preferably one with respect for the old treatment.

------------------
-aramis

Gatsby December 30th, 2001 11:31 AM

Cogs and Dogs? I, so far have lost two E-bay auctions on the item (which appears VERY infrequently).

Gats'

aramis December 30th, 2001 07:06 PM

Cogs and Dogs? I, so far have lost two E-bay auctions on the item (which appears VERY infrequently).

Gats'
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My spares sold locally for $50 per copy.
I wish I hadn't sold them.

------------------
-aramis