Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   TAS Opinion Polls (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Best Detailed World/System Rules (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=29236)

aramis May 18th, 2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelSTee (Post 434865)

To replace Titius-Bode, I'm thinking of using a log scale to determine approx orbit. Actual orbit can be up to 25% plus/minus.
|orbit|AU|Sol system equivalent

The math shows that it would be just as wrong as the titus bode "law" for the derived orbits of the 4+ world systems already discovered, and for the jovian and saturnian systems of moons.

Titus-bode is essentially a base 2 log with an offset.

Problem is, no pattern to orbital systems has evolved that stands up to the observed measures of the last 7-8 years. And, as yet, we don't have complete enough data to generate a new relationship, but do have enough to render titus-bode bogus and other log scales dubious.

If you're going to go with a fixed scale, Titus Bode is as good as any, because at least you get the Sol System correct to 0.1 AU through Neptune, provided you ignore anything under 500 mi diameter... and a few larger ones with moons of their own, Like Pluto, Eris, Sedna and Haumea.

BytePro May 18th, 2013 02:58 PM

Yeah, I just use AUs and random (computer, not dice) placement since first researching this as a teen. Without taking into account the initial and temporal evolution of a system, complex multi-body and multi-system analysis, much less with only our system as a model, it made no sense to me to do otherwise. I resorted to sequence numbers as 'orbit numbers' (orbit 1, 2, 3 etc.) around primaries for ingame purposes. A simple AU is usually only just an average distance anyway - more 'useful' are the parameters for actually figuring an orbit and position at a given time in relation to other bodies. (Well beyond normal pen and paper games.)

On a human timescale, even clearing out planetoids belts would take so long, they could exist in what would otherwise be considered unusual orbits given gravitational permutations and locations of other bodies. (More interesting though.)

In reality I've long expected that while we may very well find some number of patterns - such as from resonances - but, no one simple model will ever emerge.

Marchand May 21st, 2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icosahedron (Post 425750)
I use LBB6 for basic generation...

Advantage: It's the best I have.
Disadvantage: Too many Pop9 TL2 Asteroids. Especially when automation makes tweaking difficult...

You must be rolling up a lot of worlds - minimum TL for a Pop9 belt would be 6 (roll 1 then +2 for size=0, +1 for amos=0, +2 for pop=9) unless you roll 12 for starport=X (-4). But the chances of a X0009zz-2 are 1 in 36x36x12 = not much (admittedly ignoring gov code effect).

An X0009DD-0 would be... interesting. I would probably tweak to X0009D9-5. Could be a set of asteroid habitats with presiding semi-intelligent life support systems which are worshipped by the population as a pantheon of gods. The priesthood get around between habitats, when they need to, with rocketships of Chesley Bonestell / Wernher von Braun type.

Anyway, I voted GURPS Space, although it's a close call vs. First In.

Although much like an earlier poster who no longer shoots for realism, I do feel part of the reason for more detailed world gen systems is to make the X0009D9-5s not just phenomenally unlikely, but impossible, and where is the fun in that?

thalassogen May 23rd, 2013 08:10 AM

The best one I ever saw is GURPS Space 4th edition. But I also liked World Builder's and World Tamer's.

mike wightman August 7th, 2016 11:48 AM

I'll echo GURPS 4E: Space.

maksimsmelchak August 7th, 2016 05:46 PM

*** What about T5? ***

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

Nathan Brazil August 7th, 2016 09:27 PM

T5.09 is mostly, IMHO, a redo of CT Book 6, without the supporting math and details on stars. It also uses the Titus-Bode orbit relationships. on the good side (for me) it extends some of the UWP codes, ties in a bit more directly to sophont and beastmaker, and creates some more info not previously in CT.

atpollard August 8th, 2016 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maksimsmelchak (Post 546193)
*** What about T5? ***

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

T5 Option added (in the same format as MgT).

robject August 8th, 2016 05:42 PM

What's Andy Slack's system like?

flykiller August 8th, 2016 06:09 PM

if you like book 6 I wrote a generator here. just hold down the enter key and it'll spit them out three or four a second.