Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Play by Post - OOC (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Gauging interest in New PBP (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=15684)

Jame May 9th, 2008 11:39 AM

Yep. Join in!

The Hinterworlds Rambler May 9th, 2008 12:40 PM

(Book 1 CT Generation, baseline for conversion to whatever final system selected. I used autosurvive. I lost a point of STR and a Point of DEX to age. I mustered out with no ship result.)

Mason Rafferty

Scout, Survey Arm

UPP: B77AD6

6 Terms, Age 42, Male Human.

Homeworld: Born on freighter "Arrowpath"

Skills

Pilot-2
Navigation-2
Vacc-2
Computer-2
Revolver-2
Engineering-1

Muster (6 Rolls)

+2 Int, +2 Edu, Revolver, Cr 50,000, Cr 30,000, Cr 30,000,

Instincts:
1. Always checks direction/location
2. Keeps Vacc Suit at close hand and ready.
3. Point A to Point B as fast as possible.

Beliefs:
1. Planetbound people don't know what they're missing.
2. Hivers need watching. The altruism and quirkiness is a front.
3. Treat ground support crew like gold.

<Backstory Pending>

<Gear Pending>

erisred May 9th, 2008 08:38 PM

Sean O'Malley

Here is my proposed character for the game.

Sean O'Malley

Tell me what you think?

Eris

The Hinterworlds Rambler May 10th, 2008 04:29 PM

That HTML sheet is fresh. This guy is a good "Face" man for sure. All that Streetwise and Liason will come in handy. Plus a good solid combat skill array and good shipboard skills as a backup. Good character!

The Hinterworlds Rambler May 10th, 2008 04:33 PM

BTW, I just got the Mongoose Traveller Core Rulebook today (three hours ago.) So far, it looks very interesting, and surprisingly close to CT. It is like CT with sensible refinements. It certainly has a CT feel, esp. the Deckplans.

The K'Kree are drawn a lot like Joe Camel, tho.

erisred May 10th, 2008 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baron Saarthuran (Post 261207)
That HTML sheet is fresh. This guy is a good "Face" man for sure. All that Streetwise and Liason will come in handy. Plus a good solid combat skill array and good shipboard skills as a backup. Good character!

Thanks. I used the TravGen software for MT to "roll up" Sean and added his "backstory" based on his skills, characteristics and each year's randomly generated position. I like random generation! I sure wasn't looking for a anti-hero type, but that's what "appeared" from the random numbers. :)

Eris

erisred May 10th, 2008 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baron Saarthuran (Post 261208)
BTW, I just got the Mongoose Traveller Core Rulebook today (three hours ago.) So far, it looks very interesting, and surprisingly close to CT. It is like CT with sensible refinements. It certainly has a CT feel, esp. the Deckplans.

Mine is "on order" with Amazon. They offered it at $19.95, and by golly, I'm going to wait them out at that price! I *think* I can wait. :)

Quote:

The K'Kree are drawn a lot like Joe Camel, tho.
LOL! Yeah, but if the K'Kree smell that burger on your breath they'll be smoking *you* rather than the other way around.

Eris

The Hinterworlds Rambler May 10th, 2008 05:38 PM

When you see the picture, remember the phrase "Go for the ankles!"

The Hinterworlds Rambler May 10th, 2008 05:55 PM

When you see the picture, remember the phrase "Go for the ankles!"

Klaus May 10th, 2008 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baron Saarthuran (Post 261086)
Instincts:
1. Always checks direction/location
2. Keeps Vacc Suit at close hand and ready.
3. Point A to Point B as fast as possible.

Beliefs:
1. Planetbound people don't know what they're missing.
2. Hivers need watching. The altruism and quirkiness is a front.
3. Treat ground support crew like gold.

Great instincts, and a fantastic start on beliefs. They just need extending a bit with a long term intent and a short term goal, but that's best made specific to the setting/scenario at hand.

Example: "Hivers need watching. The altruism and quirkiness is a front. I will find out what they're up to. I must keep an eye on that shifty Ben and discover what he's after".

Beliefs are meant to change and evolve over a campaign, as goals are accomplished and the characters affected by their experiences. In BW it sorta drives the experience system, but it's a neat idea anyway. It allows the players to state to the GM: "This is what's important to my character, and this is how I want you to challenge him. This the direction I want the conflict to go."

For instance: "My family is the most important thing in the world to me. I will protect them with my life. I must stop Rudman from harrassing my sister", is basically asking the ref to have Rudman kidnap or elope with the character's sister.

I think they'll also be useful to a PBP as if someone can't post for any reason temporarily the ref can make reasonable assumptions as to their character's actions and keep the game flowing.