Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Play by Post - OOC (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Gauging interest in New PBP (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=15684)

MacTrom June 3rd, 2008 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CosmicGamer (Post 265190)
There is also Ventrilo, Netmeeting and other similar computer software that allow voice "teleconferencing" across the internet just using your computers - basically IRC with voice instead of typing. Everyone would need a microphone and speakers or a headset.

I had a hard enough time getting Skype to work on my 'puter which has a built in mic. *sigh* would much rather do IRC then try to do voice or video conferencing. :p

MacTrom June 3rd, 2008 07:14 PM

Beep

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacTrom (Post 265145)
Ok, looks like Anti-Crisis is going strong now. Since this was considered to be a "one-off" to get us started, I've been thinking about what I would run for an episode. If ppl are interested, I'd like to propose the next scenario for the group. I'll run it, and run Rocky as NPC.

Since Magnus is getting his yacht, and has discovered the expenses involved in just running it, I have a patron offer to charter said ship with the team as crew. If this sounds good, we could pick up at the end of Anti-Crisis.

BTW: Gedrin, will you be rolling a character and joining us?
:D

Comments, please?

Magnus von Thornwood June 3rd, 2008 07:30 PM

*raises hands up*

Me!!

I am in for it, oh, wait, it'd be my star...sh...ip, hey wait a mnute. :p

Gadrin June 3rd, 2008 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacTrom (Post 265157)
If you can point me to a place to sign up for an irc style game, I'd be all over that. I know PBP is slow (shit boss, look how we trashed that first week!!) :rofl:

Actually, I'm still partial to T20 and I have a ton of investment in the Gateway quadrant. :D

Just wait around here. We might set one up in month or two.

We'll post to make sure everyone knows.

If you have Google Mail, you should have Google Chat or use MSN Messenger. The nice thing about MSN Messenger, is that you can send out attachments which the others can download, or URLs so that people can see pictures like on Photobucket. Also you can save the logs of the entire session, just in case you need to review what happened.

The only downside is no dice rolling, unless you let people do their own or the GM does it for you.

I think FFE sells GRIP but I've never used it.

I don't need a lot of bells and whistles, rather just need players & GMs and something faster than posts where those most important to the game aren't around to let you know for a day or two.

The biggest problem is finding a time when everyone's available.

Anyway, if something shakes out, we'll let you know.

aramis June 3rd, 2008 10:15 PM

Actually, GRIP is QLI, not FFE.

The Traveller edition of GRIP includes Bks 1-3 in an omnibus, but is still a QLI product.

Icosahedron June 4th, 2008 06:01 AM

Sorry to be a dinosaur, but I don't see how IRC differs from PBP when you have a group gathered at a pre-arranged time. I haven't used it, but your earlier description suggests a group of people typing and posting comments - which is exactly what we have here. Posts on this site hit the board within seconds, not like Yahoo, where your message has a delay of seconds to hours before it appears. The only thing we lack here (apart from finding a common time) is a facility for extensive private discussion and attachments.

Jame June 4th, 2008 09:44 AM

I might be willing to do a T20 campaign, if done by Gmail Chat or MSN Messenger. If there are set times for it.

MacTrom June 4th, 2008 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jame (Post 265447)
I might be willing to do a T20 campaign, if done by Gmail Chat or MSN Messenger. If there are set times for it.

Keep me in mind, I love T20 and have MSN available (altho I tend toward yahoo).

Will have a new character as Rocky will be heavy esconsced whereever she is.

Gadrin June 4th, 2008 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icosahedron (Post 265429)
Sorry to be a dinosaur, but I don't see how IRC differs from PBP when you have a group gathered at a pre-arranged time. I haven't used it, but your earlier description suggests a group of people typing and posting comments - which is exactly what we have here. Posts on this site hit the board within seconds, not like Yahoo, where your message has a delay of seconds to hours before it appears. The only thing we lack here (apart from finding a common time) is a facility for extensive private discussion and attachments.

Generally you can get replies immediately and everyone (who's logged on) sees them and can respond to them.

PBP might involve posting, coming back an hour later (or whenever) to see what's happened. Or someone might not post for a day if things on their side get too overwhelming.

So with a Chat/IRC you know who's there for the next X hours and can configure the game for that audience.

The only trouble with Chat are the players who want to be there, but are constantly NOT because of crappy ISP, or crappy PC or RL interference; so it can be a challenge to get a group together and keep it together over a period of time. So location of those participating can influence it. Usually something always comes up sooner or later and Player A has to sign off to attend a funeral or take the kids to wherever; or is moving, etc, etc.

>

CosmicGamer June 4th, 2008 11:47 AM

I've been away from Traveller for a long time and just got back into it and found this site because I heard there is a new version and was looking for information. I'm excited about playing again but concerned because I haven't played in so long, and when I did it was CT (MT may have been the only other version at the time). From lurking in the forums, including the PBP, its obvious there is much interstellar history, equipment, ships, and so on that I would not be familiar with. I don't even have a complete collection of "the books" for CT. I would prefer CT, which I am somewhat familliar with or MGT, which I should get. I could get by in all the post CT versions by RPing that I'm from a remote low tech world and roll a career where I have never left the planet and we don't see much traffic and now that my career is over I'm looking for adventure and its taken me to whatever local is necessary (maybe wherever the adventure occurs is my home planet). I wouldn't have shipboard skills but could have been in the planets local military and gained combat skills, been a local bureaucrat, doctor. As I'm typing this I'm liking the idea of playing this star struck newcomer to interstellar travel and might even make him quite young and naive.

If you don't want to coddle me, I could maybe take a bit part such as the bartender or the weapons shop owner to hopefully add a little additional flavor and get my feet wet.

I also overheard in the Lone Star that there were opportunities for adventurers. Is that the a separate game?

hmm, I did just roll a bureaucrat 2 days ago. He had the best stats of the characters I rolled that night. I've been rolling a few characters a night to brush up on the chargen for the different careers and It's sort of a game all on its own.