Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Sylean Academy of Art and Design (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=134)
-   -   Lego scout ship (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=25907)

Andrew Boulton January 15th, 2012 10:35 AM

Lego scout ship

I received this as a PM, but it's too much fun...

Quote:

I have a few weeks before i start my next school term and came into a huge pile of used Lego, including the star wars star destroyer. So I thought immediately about making a type s scout, to scale!

So a few questions - which plans do u recommend I use? And at Lego scale, how big should the ship be? I would like to really do it right so any advice about making the ship will be most welcome!
God, it must be 30 years since I did that!

The problem I had with converting deckplans to Lego is that Lego walls are very thick, whereas on plans they're almost zero thickness. If you're only doing the outside it's much easier.

AFAIK the CT plans are fairly accurate.

aramis January 15th, 2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Boulton (Post 387516)
I received this as a PM, but it's too much fun...

God, it must be 30 years since I did that!

The problem I had with converting deckplans to Lego is that Lego walls are very thick, whereas on plans they're almost zero thickness. If you're only doing the outside it's much easier.

AFAIK the CT plans are fairly accurate.

Only if the main deck is 2m clearance... at 3m, the forward cabins and bridge extend through the hull shell outboard... and the forward upper gallery has insufficient clearance.

Mickazoid January 16th, 2012 06:39 PM

I can't confirm it, but a web site lists the dimensions of the Lego Star Destroyer (the Big, Ultimate Collectors one) as 37" x 23" (doesn't list height). Compared to the Type S dimensions in traders and gunboats (37m x 24m x 7.5m) that indicates a very straightforward 1" = 1m scale.

Andrew Boulton January 18th, 2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 387523)
Only if the main deck is 2m clearance... at 3m, the forward cabins and bridge extend through the hull shell outboard... and the forward upper gallery has insufficient clearance.

Compared to the Far Trader problems that's trivial :)

A wedge 37.5m x 24m x 9m is near enough 1400m3. Yes, bits stick out, but I think I can fix it...

Andrew Boulton January 19th, 2012 10:58 AM

http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Gal...2/1_Image1.jpg

Behold - bits doth stick out!

Problem is, the inhabited volume is 81dt, leaving only 19dt for fuel. Unfortunately, a Bk5 version needs 23dt and a Bk2 version needs 40dt!

Scarecrow January 19th, 2012 11:34 AM

Heh heh heh.

Deckplans were so much easier before us meddling 3D guys came along :D

Crow

aramis January 19th, 2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarecrow (Post 387743)
Heh heh heh.

Deckplans were so much easier before us meddling 3D guys came along :D

Crow

I was doing the math on it back in 12th grade, using basic ratio-method trig, and drawing cross sections, and noticed that the forward 6m of the upper gallery had to be pretty much negative height.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Boulton (Post 387741)

Behold - bits doth stick out!

Problem is, the inhabited volume is 81dt, leaving only 19dt for fuel. Unfortunately, a Bk5 version needs 23dt and a Bk2 version needs 40dt!

Reduce it to 2.5 or even 2.1 m per deck

Oh, and don't forget, the deck space is 10 to 15 cm thick. ;)

The canon plan is bad.

Mickazoid January 19th, 2012 08:13 PM

Andrew, that visualization is very enlightening. Can we get a view of the underside as well?

Scarecrow January 20th, 2012 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 387747)
I was doing the math on it back in 12th grade, using basic ratio-method trig, and drawing cross sections, and noticed that the forward 6m of the upper gallery had to be pretty much negative height.

Aye, same here. I don't know about maths but I often extrapolated elevations from plans. I was crushed when I discovered the Type H Hunter (my favourite Traveller ship evAr!1!) was broken.

Crow

Andrew Boulton January 20th, 2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 387747)
The canon plan is bad.

Bad, but salvageable - the outline is correct.