Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Aramis' pbp (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   rules questions (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=31779)

Vladika January 16th, 2014 08:04 PM

rules questions

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 463859)
please post completed character below.

Sample

Maj. James Fellowes
Career 1 Army Artillery
Career 2 Army Engineer

Strength 3
_ fisticuffs 2
_ throwing 2
_ close combat 2 (sword)
Agility 3
_ stealth 2
_ Marksmanship 2 (Pistol)
_ Mechanics 1 (machinist)
Endurance 3
_ Wilderness Travel 2 (Mapping)
Intellect 4
_ Observation 3
_ Engineering 3 (Earthworks)
_ Gunnery 1 (machinegun)
_ Surveyor 1
Charisma 3
_ Eloquence 2
Social Level 4
_ Riding 2 (Horse)
_ Leadership 4

Equipment:
Issue pistol
Issue sword
Uniform
Field Glasses

At Home
Cricket bats & uniforms.

Slightly Graying, the Major is a noted bowler, and a direct assistant to the Director-General of the Ordinance Survey.

29 skills? I'm missing something. Thought it was 7 skills x2 for the two careers + 2 for general skills?

aramis January 16th, 2014 09:24 PM

plus the defaults... which should be 14 + 0.5Str + 0.5End.

Fisticuffs starts at Str - 1
Throwing starts at Str/2
Stealth starts at Agl - 1
Wilderness Travel at End -1
Swimming starts at End/2 ★
Observation starts at Int -1
Eloquence starts at Cha -1
Riding starts at Soc -1

★ GM's screen makes a bunch of rules expansions.

SpaceBadger January 16th, 2014 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vladika (Post 463867)
29 skills? I'm missing something. Thought it was 7 skills x2 for the two careers + 2 for general skills?

Read pages 10-11 in the book, re default skills.

Thanos January 16th, 2014 10:21 PM

Question about Linguistics. Page 11. The way I'm reading it is that you get your native language for free. The linguistics skill only applies to other languages.

"All characters are assumed to be fluent in their native language. Each point taken in Linguistics allows the player to speak and understand one foreign language"

So... being a French national I'd get French for free. IF I have Linguistics at 4, I would get 4additional languages. The first at 4, the other 3 at 2 each. Correct?

Thanos January 16th, 2014 10:54 PM

Next question. I see you guys talking about age. I can't find anything in the rules about that. Also... the pdf from Drive Thru isn't searchable? WTF?

Never mind. Found it in the original thread.

Confirming. Base age of 20. Two careers (same each time) gives me an age of 40. Correct?

aramis January 16th, 2014 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thanos (Post 463893)
Next question. I see you guys talking about age. I can't find anything in the rules about that. Also... the pdf from Drive Thru isn't searchable? WTF?

Never mind. Found it in the original thread.

Confirming. Base age of 20. Two careers (same each time) gives me an age of 40. Correct?

Actually, anywhere from 25 to 44
No careers = 15-20; soc 5 or 6 I'd allow 15-25
One career: 20-32
two careers: 25-44

I'd officers with one career as company grade or major; or Ens-LtCdr
2 careers for captain to Brigadier or LtSG to Titular Commodore.
No flag officers nor general officers. (Noting that the UK Brigadier is NOT a General commission, but a positional title with insiginia.)

McPerth January 17th, 2014 07:43 AM

How do we determine the attributes for the character, distribution, free purchase or rolling?

Thanos January 17th, 2014 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McPerth (Post 463936)
How do we determine the attributes for the character, distribution, free purchase or rolling?

Any of the above.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 463629)
snippage...

All three attribute methods are fine.

aramis January 17th, 2014 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McPerth (Post 463936)

yup. I mildly prefer free purchase for myself, but have no issue with any of the three.

Quote:

Originally Posted by McPerth (Post 463938)

Is there a reason for the inventor's engineering skill being specifically in Naval Architecture?

May he play bagpipe (as color note)? AFAIK there's no skill for that...

The career? not that I can tell.
:toungue_in_cheek:
Play the pipes? Any scot can... play them musically? whole 'nother matter ;)
I have had players argue that it should fall under Gunnery (exotic), Leadership (Scots), Crime...
Music should be a skill. Bagpipe a specialty within it. Call Int based.

Vladika January 17th, 2014 09:46 AM

May I suggest

May I suggest that everyone calm down, remain friends and work through this? This was hastily put together and enjoyed the associated enthusiasm of all concerned.

arramis seems to be flexible from what I've seen above. Let's give this an honest chance and see how much fun we can have. To me this reminds me of Traveller in the beginning in that the "rules" were simple, the universe large and no one really knew what to expect.

I don't want to know much more than how to get my character together for an adventure into the unknown.

My PC is a roamer with no roots, getting older and not much other than some experience to show for it. The war has been over, for some, a few decades ago. The Wild West isn't so wild anymore.

Time to see what this newfangled space stuff is all about and what might be on a new planet for an adventurous spirit.

So, I'll stand you boys to a few rounds and we'll sign on before we quite come to our senses?

So Badger, funny sort of name you got there, grab your saddle and get your War Bag.

Rover, great name for this little junket, them damned boxes of books look right heavy so I'll just give you a hand loading.

Come on now, all this jawing done got my throat dry.