Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Mongoose Traveller (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   AHL deckplans officially retconned? (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=36562)

mike wightman August 16th, 2016 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 546878)
Then they haven't looked at Marc's notes on his original drawing... available on DTRPG.

Just took a look at them - sure looks like Marc's original intent was a tail sitter, the bridge being under the dome and all.

So has Marc changed his mind or are the folks at Mongoose just making excuses about 'discussions with those in the know'?

Spartan159 August 16th, 2016 08:57 PM

/shrug Darned if I know, I for one am going to keep using my AHL/Arrival Vengeance deck plans ;)

RockyMountainNavy August 16th, 2016 10:37 PM

Just Say No (to 2E)

Yet another reason for me not to buy any further into the 2E line.

Nothing wrong with tail sitters. Does nobody here like Rocinante?

aramis August 16th, 2016 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyMountainNavy (Post 546898)
Yet another reason for me not to buy any further into the 2E line.

Nothing wrong with tail sitters. Does nobody here like Rocinante?

Matthew seems to have no respect for canon.

I'm glad he didn't get Star Wars nor Star Trek.

GypsyComet August 17th, 2016 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 546902)

Lucas/Disney and Paramount are much less... accepting... of mavericks.

mike wightman August 17th, 2016 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 546902)
Matthew seems to have no respect for canon.

I think part of the problem is trying to sneak them in via the back door.

The space combat rues in MgT HG2 are the most cinematic, 'unrealistic' version I have yet seen.
Fighters are the major deciding factor of battles at any TL now, what with their special snowflake bonuses while dogfighting... dogfighting in space lol.

Weapons systems such as the ion cannon - where the scientific tern ion is misused which is a big bugbear for me - and the tachyon cannon are listed in basic ship design.

simonh August 17th, 2016 06:46 AM

I may be misremembering about the deck plans. Perhaps it was that the box art didn't match the plans? Or maybe I'm just getting old.

Simon Hibbs

whulorigan August 17th, 2016 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike wightman (Post 546906)
I think part of the problem is trying to sneak them in via the back door.
Weapons systems such as the ion cannon - where the scientific tern ion is misused which is a big bugbear for me - and the tachyon cannon are listed in basic ship design.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that those weapon systems are there as part of the "generic" rules, and that the forthcoming OTU Third Imperium Sourcebook will do what any good sourcebook does and spell out what systems are and are not used in the setting, as well as any modifications to existing rules.

But maybe I am just thinking wishfully . . .

simonh August 17th, 2016 12:16 PM

I don't want to make this about T5, but as I understand it T5 also provides technological and other setting options not appropriate to the OTU. How does it handle this sort of delineation, for comparison?

Traveller has always been a toolkit for creating your own setting, as well as supporting the OTU.

Simon Hibbs

robject August 17th, 2016 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whulorigan (Post 546911)
I'll keep my fingers crossed that those weapon systems are there as part of the "generic" rules, ...

And OTU material, especially sourcebooks, now have to explicitly state what's kosher and what isn't.

Upon reflection, since the core rulebook is still Traveller, the non-Traveller material should have been labelled.

When Matt finally drops the Traveller name from the core rules, then all bets are off.