Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   In the OTU (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   How do you pronounce... (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=38220)

Barrel September 12th, 2017 08:49 AM

How do you pronounce...

After years of sometimes-quasi-obsession with the Traveller OTU I don't know why this occurred to me now, but how do you pronounce VILANI? I've always said it with a long A, VI-LAH-NEE. Perhaps it's significant in light of their role as the enemies of Terra in Imperium, which I think is where they were introduced, that it could be pronounced with a short A--that is, VILLAINY!

LeperColony September 12th, 2017 08:01 PM

I recall reading once that the inspiration for the various Humaniti names (Vilani, Solomani, Zhodani, etc) came from a Roman-era war game, where all the tribes had latinized names like Alemanni. So I'd think the pronunciation would be pretty much how you've been doing it, with the "i" being an elongated "e" sound.

aramis September 12th, 2017 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrel (Post 573399)
After years of sometimes-quasi-obsession with the Traveller OTU I don't know why this occurred to me now, but how do you pronounce VILANI? I've always said it with a long A, VI-LAH-NEE. Perhaps it's significant in light of their role as the enemies of Terra in Imperium, which I think is where they were introduced, that it could be pronounced with a short A--that is, VILLAINY!

bee-lawn-deen

Supplement Four September 12th, 2017 09:14 PM

I say...three syllables...

Vil ...as in Villain

an ...as in "on"

i ..as in "ee".

But, there is a pronunciation key in the Vilani & Vargr soucebook for MegaTraveller, IIRC.

aramis September 12th, 2017 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supplement Four (Post 573440)
I say...three syllables...

Vil ...as in Villain

an ...as in "on"

i ..as in "ee".

But, there is a pronunciation key in the Vilani & Vargr soucebook for MegaTraveller, IIRC.

And the Vilani Language has no V sound...
Looking at the Ref's Companion and the V&V tables...
allowed first sounds: K G M D L SH KH N S P B Z R
allowed vowels: A E I U AA II UU
Allowed ending sounds: R N M SH G S D P K

That A is the sound in lock
The E is short, as in men
the I is supposed to be i as in kit, hit, bit, fit.
the U as in fun, run, gun
The vilani doubles are not on the pronunciation key, but may be different tones on the same base vowel...

Spinward Scout September 12th, 2017 09:42 PM

I pronounce it:

VIL - like the medicine Advil.
AN - like the name Ann.
I - like the 'y' in Granny

Villainy is close and somebody made a post a while back with the title/subject line: "Scum and Vilani" - a reference to Star Wars when Obi-Wan calls Mos Eisley a "wreched hive of scum and villainy."

GypsyComet September 12th, 2017 10:44 PM

Vih-LAH-nee

Ishmael September 13th, 2017 01:50 AM

The initial 'V' represents a voiced bilabial fricative. It is written using a Greek letter beta, according to the international phonetic alphabet, thus the 'B' consonant in the tables and not a 'V'.
A 'V', in english, represents a voiced labiodental fricative, which sounds different and would mark you as having an odd accent.

ShawnDriscoll September 13th, 2017 07:36 AM

I pronounce it the way my computers say it.

Barrel September 13th, 2017 07:59 AM

"Scum and Vilani". LOL I Like it.