Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Software Solutions (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Making big PDF maps (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=11576)

Morte April 12th, 2004 01:34 PM

If I want to make PDF maps of sector or more size, looking roughly like a Shane's maps minus the subsector lines but with UWP data like this, what software do I need?

Can I do it free (since I only really want 2 or 3 maps)?

Elliot April 12th, 2004 01:49 PM

The usual response is Campaign Cartographer - what would be really cool is if QLI put a sector map designer pdf form thingy on the web site - (although cost of software might be too high - anyone wanna stick a freebie up?)

Slink182 April 12th, 2004 02:32 PM

I need to ask - what size paper sheet are you looking to print something like your example on? A4, A2, legal, what?

Morte April 12th, 2004 02:48 PM

It's mostly to view on screen, not for paper. I zoom in and scroll around. I don't really go in for paper much these days, but I have big dual monitors.

A decent viewing programme, with anti-aliased rendering and no arbitrary (sub)sector alignment crap, wouldn't be too bad. But I could put PDFs in a PDA, unlike most software.

Malenfant April 12th, 2004 03:11 PM

Probably can't do it for free. I'd make the map in Photoshop or Canvas or something like that, then save it as a PDF using the full version of Adobe Acrobat.

Flynn April 12th, 2004 03:36 PM

The sector maps are made using Campaign Cartographer II (now on sale at $39 instead of $79), Galactic 2.4, and a small script that can be found on the internet. After that, I think there's a lot of manipulation of images to get things looking right, but that's the basics of how maps like that can be created.

Programming anything like what's requested above would take a dedicated effort, which a lot of people are not likely to do without being paid for it. However, if you do find something like that, please let us know. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Good luck,
Flynn

tjoneslo April 12th, 2004 04:10 PM

The software used to create the map on maps.travellercentral.com is free. But you need to know a little programming to get them to come out right.

I've used Anthony's software to produce quadrant maps using the same data in PDF just because I thought they looked nicer.

the nroute program Anthony Jackon wrote writes a postscript file (which has all the data), then uses a PS2PDF (a free software package) to produce the PDF files.

Flynn April 12th, 2004 05:53 PM

Not familiar with postscript or how to use such a script, but if you could enlighten me, Obi-Wan, I would be forever in your debt...

Seeking wisdom,
Flynn

Flynn April 13th, 2004 09:47 AM

tjoneslo,

Perhaps I should clarify.... Could you provide some general instructions on how you created either sector or quadrant maps using the nroute program followed by PS2PDF?

Thanks in advance for your time,
Flynn

robject April 13th, 2004 10:15 AM

My Perl code is free, too, but it too produces PostScript files. I have to run GSView or similar to convert PS files to PDFs or JPEGs. I never heard of PS2PDF; sounds nice.