Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   GURPS Traveller (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   GURPS Traveller announcement (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=34715)

DonM July 24th, 2015 09:04 PM

GURPS Traveller announcement

http://www.sjgames.com/general/press...es/150723.html

Wasn't sure if everyone was aware of this.

tjoneslo July 24th, 2015 10:50 PM

This is not surprising given the product focus of SJGames over the last few years. They have been focused on their hugely popular Munchkin and (to a lesser extent) board games over GURPS releases.

mike wightman July 24th, 2015 10:55 PM

So what will happen to all the stuff hidden away behind the JTAS online paywall?

Will FFE be releasing a GT compilation cd or three in the coming years?

DonM July 24th, 2015 10:58 PM

Discussions are ongoing. Marc will announce...

RandyB July 24th, 2015 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike wightman (Post 512436)
Will FFE be releasing a GT compilation cd or three in the coming years?

Oh, I'd buy that in a heartbeat, especially if it included the JTAS Online content...

Garnfellow July 25th, 2015 08:36 AM

Feeling ambivalent about this . . . it's been clear for the last few years that SJG had no interest in providing serious Traveller support. So this is really just acknowledging reality.

But dang, Sword Worlds, Rim of Fire, and Interstellar Wars are some of my favorite Traveller books ever.

And even though I don't care much for the GURPS system, I've gotten a ton of use out of the crunchier books like First In, Far Trader, Starports, and Ground Forces.

I hope this announcement sparks renewed interest in some excellent Traveller books.

GM Joe July 25th, 2015 10:38 AM

A CD or three would be wonderful! I own all the physical books and would love to have a chance to buy them in PDF format at a reasonable price. And, of course, for JTAS it's really the only reasonable way to preserve all that content. I have the Best of JTAS volume they produced from the first year's material, but there's been nothing like that since.

But most importantly, I would like for all Traveller content ever produced to be available from FFE. It shouldn't only exist as decaying artifacts.

infojunky July 25th, 2015 04:53 PM

It's not like I am surprised, though I was kinda hoping for a Munchkin version of Traveller.

As it stands I will be buying the CD that has the Deckplans on it, just for the Traveller specific Cardboard Heroes....

TheDS July 25th, 2015 06:31 PM

Just a couple days ago, I decided to look and see if SJG had bothered to publish any additional G4T books since GTISW, and lo and behold, they had not. I know they'd been talking about not renewing the license since about the time GTISW came out, and the fact that they've done nothing with it since then pretty much said they wouldn't be renewing. A shame, because the GT stuff was extremely high quality, probably the highest quality of all the Traveller products.

However, I don't understand why this suddenly means they can't continue to sell Traveller products. Isn't e23 just another storefront, from which anything can be sold? It's not like it costs anyone anything to continue maintaining the listings.

My guess would be that Marc felt like it would compete with T5, or Steve thought it would compete with GURPS4, but there are other Traveller licenses out there, and Traveller never negatively affected GURPS before, so call me confounded by that part of the decision.

I would also think, in this age where RPGs are in decline, we'd want to work together to help each other out.

aramis July 25th, 2015 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDS (Post 512501)
Just a couple days ago, I decided to look and see if SJG had bothered to publish any additional G4T books since GTISW, and lo and behold, they had not. I know they'd been talking about not renewing the license since about the time GTISW came out, and the fact that they've done nothing with it since then pretty much said they wouldn't be renewing. A shame, because the GT stuff was extremely high quality, probably the highest quality of all the Traveller products.

However, I don't understand why this suddenly means they can't continue to sell Traveller products. Isn't e23 just another storefront, from which anything can be sold? It's not like it costs anyone anything to continue maintaining the listings.

My guess would be that Marc felt like it would compete with T5, or Steve thought it would compete with GURPS4, but there are other Traveller licenses out there, and Traveller never negatively affected GURPS before, so call me confounded by that part of the decision.

I would also think, in this age where RPGs are in decline, we'd want to work together to help each other out.

SJG's license to use Traveller at all expired in late 2014. Marc extended it to late 2015.

Keep in mind, Loren Wiseman, who is charge of GURPS last I checked, is a good friend of Marc's.

Keep in mind, GURPS isn't really very profitable for SJG. (Source: Sean Punch, PhD, public postings as Kromm) It pays for its own development and a small profit, but in general, board games, even marginal ones, have a higher return on Investment. So GURPS is back burner.

GURPS Traveller was at one point the top selling line within GURPS. That stopped being true before GURPS 4E was released. (ibid.) GURPS Dungeon Fantasy has apparently taken over that spot. (speculation based upon announced materials). GURPS products remain on the schedule because SJ loves GURPS, and GURPS is a very visible line, even if it's not a very profitable one. (Dr Punch, again.)

For SJG to use traveller at all, they need a license. They have to stop completely, or have a license, because if they use it without license, Marc has to either (1) take legal action or (2) give up the trademark. US law provides no third route for trademarks.

So, the fact that they have to pull it is a matter of not costing Marc the trademark on "Traveller"...