Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Mongoose Traveller (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Mongoose - traveller returns (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=13636)

kafka47 August 4th, 2007 10:22 AM

kewl

Well, if they keep the artists that Mongoose has on staff, this is going to be one nice looking product.

Plus, what was that swipe at only being in reprints T20 and GURPS and ComStar have all being keeping the flame alive whilst others have been somewhat idle.

But, I do see a pattern emerging with t4, big announcement and big names, my hope is that Marc is not going to repeat the mistakes of the past and put all items for extensive playtest, afterall, this is probably going to be the last word in Traveller, so let's get it right this time - for all time.

Pickles August 4th, 2007 12:00 PM

If the Mongoose "basic" Traveller is as basic as their RuneQuest rules, you'll basically (pardon me) have to get T5 to really play the game. :devil:

Allensh August 4th, 2007 12:53 PM

Extremely interesting news.

How is this announcment going to affect the Traveller Hero line that has been being worked on? I know some folks who were deeply involved in that...

Allen

hemulen August 4th, 2007 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kafka47 (Post 231781)
Well, if they keep the artists that Mongoose has on staff, this is going to be one nice looking product.

But the artwork in the RuneQuest line is absolutely dire!

Mark

aramis August 4th, 2007 02:39 PM

If MRQ is any indication:
  • The core line will be desperately in need of errata which will not be forthcoming
  • There will be continuity errors in the core
  • There will be some seriously boneheaded editorial decisions
  • There will be a typo per 3 pages or more.

Mongoose is great about getting stuff out. Their quality control, however, is on par with the DGP-GDW joint effort: MT.

And worst of all, I fear, it's likely to include the T4 task system

hemulen August 4th, 2007 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starflyer (Post 231758)
Sincerely hope that the Traveller rules are better written than the MRQ ones, which frankly were pretty damn poor. The standard of the editing was dreadful and although the Gloranthan supplements have been much improved having to buy several thin volumes just to gather enough basic rules to actually play was pretty annoying and expensive to boot

I like the fact that in the Press Release, they refer to a supplement called "760 Patrons". You think they'd get that right!

I was very disappointed with the RQ release. I hope they do better for Traveller.

Mark

hunter August 4th, 2007 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berg (Post 231770)
What time frame is MGT gonna use? 1248? What locations...?

Do you know? Can you tell us? Can the Cat come out and play? ;)

I don't know Mongoose's specific plans for release, just what the overall deal entails.

hunter August 4th, 2007 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Bromgrev (Post 231783)
If the Mongoose "basic" Traveller is as basic as their RuneQuest rules, you'll basically (pardon me) have to get T5 to really play the game. :devil:

No you won't.

hunter August 4th, 2007 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 231796)
And worst of all, I fear, it's likely to include the T4 task system

Most likely T5's task system.

far-trader August 4th, 2007 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemulen (Post 231797)
I like the fact that in the Press Release, they refer to a supplement called "760 Patrons". You think they'd get that right!

Mark

Saw that too did you ;)

When I read it I was afraid they had got it right and we could look forward to :rolleyes: a book of faceless, soulless, randomly generated, page after page after page, of "UPP : X-terms Service" or whatever :smirk: