Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Mongoose Traveller (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Mongoose - traveller returns (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=13636)

Maladominus August 6th, 2007 10:05 AM

hehehe. In our Terra Incognita CT campaign, I as the GM allow the characters to 'own' starship pets. And one of the more notorious and attention-seeking pets is a Terran bio-engineered 56th century Indian mongoose (herpestes indicus), named "Indy".

Indy the mongoose has an ego of his own. And the news of "Mongoose takes over Traveller" will undoubtedly inflate his ego even more! Yikes!

P.S. --- Mongoose Traveller sounds OK to me, so long as they really do make it fairly backwards compatible with much of the original Classic Traveller system. If it ends up superior to original CT material, then great, I'm buying. And if it sucks, then I have the option of ignoring it and pretending it never existed (just like some of the other Traveller versions right now!)

aramis August 6th, 2007 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunter (Post 232033)
I don't catch the reference to 'T&C' though. Of course it's late here and I'm half dead and longing for bed ;)

Trade and Commerce

hunter August 6th, 2007 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 232127)
Trade and Commerce

Wow I was more tired than I thought...

Yes the Trade and Commerce rules are closed under T20.

AzSteven August 6th, 2007 05:00 PM

Interesting news. I am pretty happy with T20 personally - we converted our House System (TNE with mods) over to T20 a couple of years ago. But there is still room in my heart for Classic Taveller.

I enjoyed Classic Traveller, with the Books 4-8 additions, quite a lot. I would love to see some cleanup and expansion/fixing of some of the vehicle rules and combat rules to move away from range bands and towards actual ranges and areas of effect, and I would like a set of design rules at the Book 5 level for non-space vehicles.

Some clarification on the effects of different levels of weapons on targets outside of that level would be great too (how do starship-level weapons effect a person or an air-fraft? How do vehicle-level weapons affect a starship? Can a gauss rifle do anything to a scout ship?). But honestly I can make a lot of that up on the fly - it would just be nice to have some rules or guidelines for consistency.

daryen August 6th, 2007 05:17 PM

As an aside, I don't understand why everyone assumes that Mongoose Traveller will be based on CT. All they have promised is to be "faithful to CT". Well, I am willing to bet that the authors of both T20 and GT will vehemently insist they were "faithful to CT", yet neither system is based on CT.

There are lot of wild assumptions being made about what this system will look like without any basis on fact or even authoritative rumor. Before praising it (or cursing it), let's see what they plan on doing, first.

(As an aside to my aside, the above is not meant as a slam to either T20 or GT. It is simply an illustration to show that you can be "faithful to" CT without being "based on" CT.)

Gallowglacht August 6th, 2007 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daryen (Post 232144)
As an aside, I don't understand why everyone assumes that Mongoose Traveller will be based on CT. All they have promised is to be "faithful to CT". Well, I am willing to bet that the authors of both T20 and GT will vehemently insist they were "faithful to CT", yet neither system is based on CT.

There are lot of wild assumptions being made about what this system will look like without any basis on fact or even authoritative rumor. Before praising it (or cursing it), let's see what they plan on doing, first.

(As an aside to my aside, the above is not meant as a slam to either T20 or GT. It is simply an illustration to show that you can be "faithful to" CT without being "based on" CT.)

The mongoose release says that its based on T5 and has cross compatability so will probably be a lot closer than T20 or Gurps. That where people are getting the idea from. T5 is described as a superset of the same rules.

hunter August 6th, 2007 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daryen (Post 232144)

T20 isn't based on CT? News to me...

Gallowglacht August 6th, 2007 05:28 PM

But you said it only has 3 rules. Ct had more right?

hunter August 6th, 2007 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gallowglacht (Post 232148)
But you said it only has 3 rules. Ct had more right?

LOL! Touche!

daryen August 6th, 2007 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunter (Post 232147)
T20 isn't based on CT? News to me...

No, T20 (as it's name implies) is based on D20. Sure, it uses CT to fill in much of the gaps, but it is a D20 system.

Character generation, combat, creatures, the whole infrastructure of T20 is D20. CT was just used to fill in the gaps.

Honestly, T20 is "based on" CT as much as GURPS Traveller is. And, despite what some will say, this is NOT a bad thing. My statement is not meant as an insult to either T20 or GT.

All I am saying is that anyone who is expecting Mongoose Traveller to be an "updated CT" (whatever that actually means) is likely to be massively disappointed.