Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   TAS Opinion Polls (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Your Favorite non-GDW Scifi RPG, Part 2 (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=18529)

Rhialto the Marvelous February 21st, 2009 08:55 PM

Your Favorite non-GDW Scifi RPG, Part 2

This is part 2 (of 2) of the NEW scifi poll. Part 1 is here:

http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Dis...ad.php?t=18528

Part 1 lists Alternity through Space: 1889. Part 2 lists SpaceMaster through Universe.

Note: You have multiple votes. Let's keep it to three (3) votes in Parts 1 & 2 combined.

savage February 21st, 2009 10:55 PM

Sw d6

I liked Trek but Star Wars took the cake in d6. Fast and furious...just like the movies if well ran. Shame we don't have rankings instead of straight polls.

Some of this might be game system oriented. I went from AD&D to traveller. FASA was an easy jump. For those that stuck with AD&D but wanted some sci-fi perhaps other roads we're easier.

mike wightman February 22nd, 2009 01:17 PM

Star Frontiers again ;)

Plus a vote for Universe - some really good stuff in that game.

Supplement Four February 22nd, 2009 01:36 PM

D6 Star Wars, Revised & Expanded, has still got my vote for best rpg rules married to a setting--it's simply one of the best out-of-the-box rpgs I've ever seen.

There are different versions of Star Trek. I love the universe. It's a perfect set-up for an RPG, especially if you play in the Classic Trek time period of the original series. The players play the department heads on a Star Fleet vessel. It doesn't have to be a Constitution class. The smaller ships are quite fun to play, too.

The GM is free to throw all sorts of weird stuff at the players. Anything goes. This can be some wild science fiction.

If you want to run a simple space battle or planetary encounter with the Klingons, then, no problem.

If you want to describe a giant human hand made of hydrogen atoms that reaches out and grabs the ship....again, no problem. The universe will handle that kind of adventure. More than handle it...welcome it.

From personal RPG stories that focus on a crew member being a detective while he's not on duty, trying to find out who stole his bavarian cookies his mother sent him from Earth--and adventure that takes place entirely on the ship...

...to an RPG story that has the crew visiting pocket universes, other galaxies, or time travelling forward or backwards on Earth, Vulcan, or other worlds...

....Star Trek can handle it.

It's a fantastic universe for a rpg group to explore.

FASA's Star Trek rules are quite simple. Percentage based. Roll skill or lower to succeed.

And, FASA has a brilliant space battle system designed for role playing space battles on the bridge of a ship, allowing players to man the various positions on the bridge.

Fantastic game. Simple to learn. Easy to play. And, it's very interesting with a creative GM who knows how to tell a good story.

Jame February 22nd, 2009 08:51 PM

Of these, the Star Wars d6 game (I collected a lot of it, though I've never played).

robject February 22nd, 2009 11:51 PM

You've left out Babylon 5.
And... Gamma World :)

aramis February 23rd, 2009 02:38 AM

My personal favorite is Space 1889, but WEG Star Wars Second Edition (Not R&E) is my personal favorite licensed game.

I disliked the R&E scaling rules... and love the die-capping rules in 2nd. (I started with 1st tho', month of release!)

Space 1889, despite the various dice mechanics (3 different action resolution systems! 1d6 vs skill (ħDM's) for quick; (Skill)D6 vs TN by difficulty for detailed; (skill ħmods)d6 count successes for combat )... plus the research rolls system... But it really is an exciting game, and a neat setting.

robject: Which babylon 5??? There are three; two are related! Chameleon Ecclectic's The Babylon Project, and Mongoose's Babylon 5 RPG 1E and 2E. Players keep complaining about incompatibility between the two for character scale stuff over on the Mongoose boards...

Vargas February 23rd, 2009 09:43 AM

Thousand Suns, probably because in concept it's a modern equivalent of what CT started out as.

Gallowglacht February 23rd, 2009 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 305451)
My personal favorite is Space 1889, but WEG Star Wars Second Edition (Not R&E) is my personal favorite licensed game.

I disliked the R&E scaling rules... and love the die-capping rules in 2nd. (I started with 1st tho', month of release!)

Space 1889, despite the various dice mechanics (3 different action resolution systems! 1d6 vs skill (ħDM's) for quick; (Skill)D6 vs TN by difficulty for detailed; (skill ħmods)d6 count successes for combat )... plus the research rolls system... But it really is an exciting game, and a neat setting.

robject: Which babylon 5??? There are three; two are related! Chameleon Ecclectic's The Babylon Project, and Mongoose's Babylon 5 RPG 1E and 2E. Players keep complaining about incompatibility between the two for character scale stuff over on the Mongoose boards...

I liked the idea in the Babylon Project combat where you decide immediate effects during combat, then after combat saw if bones were broken, you were bleeding to death etc, but the hit location put me off enough to skip on the game.
I also liked that the space combat was baically "full thrust" with player abilities thrown in.

spinwardpirate February 24th, 2009 12:38 PM

I've heard nothing but good stuff about d6 SW, but never having played it, I'm going to go with FASA Trek.