Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Agent of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Annotated PDF that comes with the audiobook version is a delight (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=39758)

Spenser TR January 9th, 2019 01:16 PM

Annotated PDF that comes with the audiobook version is a delight

I can't really think of a better way to phrase it. Like having the "commentary track" on while reading through the book, it's very cool to see what Marc was thinking, references he felt were important to note, or how he tied in bits of his personal life into his writing.

In as much as our enjoyment of Traveller is about the setting and characters as much as it is about learning what Marc was thinking, I unreservedly recommend the audiobook package.

whartung January 9th, 2019 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spenser TR (Post 597902)
I can't really think of a better way to phrase it. Like having the "commentary track" on while reading through the book, it's very cool to see what Marc was thinking, references he felt were important to note, or how he tied in bits of his personal life into his writing.

In as much as our enjoyment of Traveller is about the setting and characters as much as it is about learning what Marc was thinking, I unreservedly recommend the audiobook package.

Is this an annotation of the book text? i.e. is it the book with extra footnotes that Just So Happens to be shipped along with the audio book? Or is it just a PDF of notes, without the associated book text?

mike wightman January 9th, 2019 04:01 PM

Why hasn't the drivethru version been updated to the annotated version?

Spenser TR January 9th, 2019 05:41 PM

Not sure about DriveThru... I got mine from FFE. It came with 2 discs, with audio and e-versions of the book, as well as a thumb drive I asked for ( because CD-ROMs? ) with the same material.

The annotations were in a PDF of AotI, present in footnote format. I'm using my iPad to page through and soak it all in.

ShawnDriscoll January 9th, 2019 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whartung (Post 597903)
Is this an annotation of the book text? i.e. is it the book with extra footnotes that Just So Happens to be shipped along with the audio book? Or is it just a PDF of notes, without the associated book text?

Yep. An annotated PDF of AotI. And various file formats of AotI without annotation. And other stuff, not in the original AotI book.

Spenser TR January 9th, 2019 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShawnDriscoll (Post 597920)
... And other stuff, not in the original AotI book.

"deleted scenes" and extra footage, so to speak.

mike wightman January 10th, 2019 01:39 PM

So, as a kickstarter backer I don't get this version unless I buy it again?

Hmm...

whulorigan January 10th, 2019 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike wightman (Post 597937)
So, as a kickstarter backer I don't get this version unless I buy it again?

Hmm...

Wasn't the audio book both a stretch goal and swag for a certain pledge level? I don't recall at this point.

mike wightman January 10th, 2019 02:24 PM

I backed it to maximum and this is what I got:
Agent of the Imperium Custom Bound First Edition Hardcover Printed Book plus Enhanced Ebook (including an inscription by Marc Miller). As your reward, you will receive the enhanced Ebook with additional material: starchart images, Traveller game-related appendices, and background material. You will receive a DropBox (or DriveThru) download link (in December) to the completed eBook in your choice of format: iBook, Kindle, PDF, or Nook. Then, we will send you the Custom Hardcover format printed book (about 6x9 inches) when it comes back from the printer in March.

Now it appears there is a new enhanced pdf that has annotations - and I must buy it again as an audiobook to get it, unless I am doing something wrong with the various ebook formats I do have access to.

whulorigan January 10th, 2019 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike wightman (Post 597940)
. . . unless I am doing something wrong with the various ebook formats I do have access to.

You are not; the annotated PDF of AotI is v. 1.1. (It also corrects several minor errors in the original book, such as Margaret I's heir and brother being Paulo I, not Pedro as in the original book . . . )