Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Traveller 5 (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   5.10 Errata Thread? (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=40180)

AnotherDilbert October 22nd, 2019 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan159 (Post 607712)
I flat out ignored the wing/fin overtonnage thing, IMTU they just cost tonnage like any other item, the only difference is that the wing tonnage can be used for fuel or whatnot. I was going crazy otherwise.

The net result is zero. You deduct 20 Dt [-20 Dt] for wings and get back 20 Dt [+20 Dt] for the fuel placed in the wings; net result -20 + 20 = 0 Dt.

It's easier to just say wings/fins take no space and be done with it.

Spartan159 October 22nd, 2019 01:12 PM

Works for me. Simpler than trying to use algebra to get a net over/under tonnage of 0, or just subtracting cargo to get the same result. The over tonnage penalties are harsh. /Shrug When I build a 1,000 ton hull I want it to be 1,000 tons and have 10 hardpoints. If it's 900 tons of body and 100 tons of wing/fin then it's still 1,000 tons to me.

In any case this is only my personal opinion and I am not trying to fight the rules as written for anyone else, nor am I trying to publish my designs. I did note IMTU.

AnotherDilbert October 23rd, 2019 08:46 AM

Book 2 p83

Type of error:

Logic error

Description of issue:

Why would anyone ever want a Plasma or Fusion spacecraft weapon? They are always strictly worse than Lasers.

Base barbette installations (note mod +2/+4 and hits H:5/H:6):
Code:

System                                    #        Dton        Cost     
Vd B1 Plas-11 +2 H:5 Def+1                1          3          4     
Vd B1 Fusi-12 +2 H:5 Def+1                1          3        4,5     
Vd B1 Puls-9  +2 H:6 Def+1                1          3        3,3     
Vd B1 Beam-10 +4 H:5 Def+1                1          3        3,5

Submitted by
AnotherDilbert

AnotherDilbert October 23rd, 2019 09:00 AM

Book 2 p195-196

Type of error:

Logic error

Description of issue:

Defences:
Can only a single defence react to an attack? In such case why? Why would not a nuke missile attack be stopped by both a Nuclear Damper and a laser turret?

Can many defences react to the same attack? In such case multiple defence rolls will stop nearly all attacks.

Submitted by
AnotherDilbert

ThornPlutonius October 23rd, 2019 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnotherDilbert (Post 607781)
Book 2 p195-196

Type of error:

Logic error

Description of issue:

Defences:
Can only a single defence react to an attack? In such case why? Why would not a nuke missile attack be stopped by both a Nuclear Damper and a laser turret?

Can many defences react to the same attack? In such case multiple defence rolls will stop nearly all attacks.

Submitted by
AnotherDilbert

It is somewhat ambiguous, but my reading suggests all appropriate defenses may respond to an attack. For example, I can imagine responding to an incoming missile with distractive defenses (e.g., flares or ECM) and direct point defense fire (e.g., energy or slug-throwing) as appropriate to nature of the missile. I have no problem with multiple defensive measures greatly reducing the chance of a hit by a given attack. That is what multi-layered defenses are intended to do. As with so many (too many?) of these rules, exact implementation seems to have been left to the individual Referee (whether by intent or by assuming a textual clarity that does not exist outside of the author's mind). At this time, I would roll each method of defense individually unless situational circumstances indicate otherwise.

Spartan159 October 23rd, 2019 12:52 PM

what I'm not sure of is defenses against missiles, are missiles individual or salvo's, and if the latter, is a T1 going to be as effective against a B2 Missile attack as a T1 Missile attack?

AnotherDilbert October 23rd, 2019 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan159 (Post 607793)
what I'm not sure of is defenses against missiles, are missiles individual or salvo's, and if the latter, is a T1 going to be as effective against a B2 Missile attack as a T1 Missile attack?

As far as I understand a defence stops an entire attack, whether that attack is from a single turret or 100 bays.

The only variables are ∆TL and mount defence dm, so yes a T1 laser is just as effective against all attacks, regardless of the size of the attack, and a T1 laser is just as effective as a bay laser.

AnotherDilbert October 23rd, 2019 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThornPlutonius (Post 607792)
It is somewhat ambiguous, but my reading suggests all appropriate defenses may respond to an attack. For example, I can imagine responding to an incoming missile with distractive defenses (e.g., flares or ECM) and direct point defense fire (e.g., energy or slug-throwing) as appropriate to nature of the missile.

I have no problem with multiple defensive measures greatly reducing the chance of a hit by a given attack.

That sounds reasonable, but as an example if a ship has six small T3 laser turrets (six firmpoints = 2 hardpoints) any attacking missile must penetrate six 50% rolls with a total chance of 0.56 = 1.6% chance.

I think it gets a bit boring if 99% of all attacks misses and the last percent has no chance to penetrate the armour...

Wol October 25th, 2019 11:14 AM

book 2 p.115. The jump process sequence table.

mechanic

Table of operations for Jump and relevant supporting text actually only provide for Astrogation Tasks. The Engineers (and pilot) appear superfluous. Certainly no tasks are listed.

pp115-120. much repetition.

Wol October 25th, 2019 11:48 PM

Book 2 p.53 Lifting bodies

clarification

RAW:

Quote:

Lifting Body has neither Wings nor Fins, nor can they be added. Lifting Body can only use Shell Armor.
Lifting Body receives the bene t of Wings: Acceleration +1G in Atmosphere 2+.
I think this means that wings are uncosted integral parts of a lifting body?

regards