Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Software Solutions (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   [Universe II] Updates Go Here (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=21185)

Hemdian December 18th, 2009 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilgs (Post 338250)
I take it that Mongoose Trade Codes are off-limits? If that is the case, a user-input field for "generic codes" would be helpful. I think that was already part of U1.

A note on definitions: I classify the comments in a UWP as either trade codes or remarks.
  • Trade codes have specific rules that govern them. For example, ĎAsí is the code for asteroid belt and is defined as a mainworld where size=0, atmos=0, and hydro=0.

• Anything else is a remark. For example, ĎCpí is the code for a capitol and it is up to the referee to designate it.
In both U1 and U2 the database record for a system contains a boolean flag for each trade code and three remark fields. When a system is imported the comments field is parsed and unrecognised comments are assumed to be remarks, the rest is thrown away. When a system is added or updated then all the trade code flags are reset according to the rules. (So if you were to give a non-asteroid world an ĎAsí code in an external sector file, when you imported it the ĎAsí would be lost and the ĎAsí flag would not be set.)

Now what you put in a remark field is entirely up to you. If that happens to be an MgT trade code thatís up to you. But remember that it wonít be updated automatically, like a Ďrealí trade code, if you change any of the underlying characteristics.

Quote:

As for being caught off-guard... I haven't pestered you in months! You had to realize this was coming ;-) Either way, it sounds EXCELLENT!
Actually, I think I was more caught off-guard by just how close Christmas is. :eek:

Hemdian December 18th, 2009 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Boulton (Post 338262)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hemdian (Post 338248)
The DGP extensions to Book 6 system generation (Grand Survey/Grand Census, and World Builders Handbook) are off limits for copyright reasons.

Have you checked that with Marc?

That's reminded me: I built the T5 support some time ago thinking the final version of T5 would be out by now. But it occurs to me that if the final version of T5 isnít out by the time U2 is ready that I might need special permission from Marc for that before worrying about DGP.

Hemdian December 18th, 2009 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E.D.Quibell (Post 338268)
You can't copyright the rules, so putting the WBH and/or GS/GS rules into Universe II is not a problem as long as you don't use the same text that they did in the book to explain them. And as you are not explaining them (just using them) that won't be a problem either.

Thanks Ewan. But even if that is technically correct (and I'm no expert) I think I'd feel more comfortable following DonM's suggestion. (For reasons of etiquette as much as legality.)

FreeTrav December 18th, 2009 11:03 AM

And this would also apply to the Mongoose Traveller rules as well. However, the question isn't whether you legally can do it, the question is whether you can afford to fight the resulting lawsuit.

Hemdian December 18th, 2009 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeTrav (Post 338375)
And this would also apply to the Mongoose Traveller rules as well. However, the question isn't whether you legally can do it, the question is whether you can afford to fight the resulting lawsuit.

I suppose thatís true. But with MgT there is an added wrinkle: Universe is published through BITS, and Andy Lily (head man at BITS) is keen to support MgT. So no way could I put anything into U2 that would upset Mongoose regardless of the legality.

Having talked (very briefly) with Matt I suspect what will happen is once U2 is published and Mongoose can look it over I might get permission to add MgT support ... rolled out as a free patch.

Anyway, it doesnít matter what I can and canít do legally, my intention is to play fair. So even if Iím technically allowed to do something doesnít mean I will.

Zparkz December 19th, 2009 08:01 AM

Will there be support for TNE governemtn stats and possible to place other things than systems on a hex?
For instance, one of the sub sectors listings (I don't remember which book at the moment, and I don't have them handy) contains a rock used as a way point for the RCES if I don't remember wrongly.

I woiuld also like to see the possibility to have several UWP's for a system based on campaign period. Specially helpful for those who plays in a Hard Times campaign where UWPs are subject to change as opposed to a more static CT campaign.
Changes of UWP may be tied to specific dates.

E.D.Quibell December 19th, 2009 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hemdian (Post 338330)
Thanks Ewan. But even if that is technically correct (and I'm no expert) I think I'd feel more comfortable following DonM's suggestion. (For reasons of etiquette as much as legality.)

O ... much better to get permission of course. And as to the MGT issue they would be silly to say no, as UII is likey to be fantastic ... :-)

Regards,

Ewan

Hemdian December 19th, 2009 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zparkz (Post 338511)
Will there be support for TNE governemtn stats and possible to place other things than systems on a hex?

Not coded yet but on the todo list.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zparkz (Post 338511)
I woiuld also like to see the possibility to have several UWP's for a system based on campaign period.

Not in the plan. Hmmm ... with all 'campaigns' in the same physical database now I may be able to create a script that migrates users from one 'campaign' to another, you could have the different UWPs in each 'campaign'. (That's assuming just listing the different UWPs in the referee notes is insufficient.)

E.D.Quibell December 19th, 2009 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeTrav (Post 338375)

Ture. I deliberatly didn't bring up MGT for this very reason. Beacuse of Mongoose's stand on fan material they would almost _have_ to sue _even_ if they were going to lose, just to defend their position.

Better to show them an outstanding product and then ask permission. The problem with that is that they might still say no because BITS is a rival publisher, even if it is cutting off their nose to spite their face. And it's not Peter that will be sued, it's BITS.

Regards,

Ewan

Hemdian December 19th, 2009 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E.D.Quibell (Post 338527)
The problem with that is that they might still say no because BITS is a rival publisher

Not strictly true. BITS whole raison d'Ítre was to support Traveller ... primarily through running events and demos at conventions. Publishing is a secondary activity. Originally, that meant working in conjunction with Imperium Games (BITS started with the launch of T4), and more recently Andy has worked hard to cultivate a good working relationship between BITS and Mongoose. BITS is not a rival.

So BITS wonít do anything to upset Mongoose ... not because they are afraid of legal action, but because they donít want to harm their relationship. And while Universe predates Mongooseís Traveller involvement, development of Universe 2 must remain sensitive to this.