Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Recruiting Office (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   CT Play by Post Game @ RPOL (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=14535)

opensent December 2nd, 2007 11:35 AM

CT Play by Post Game @ RPOL

I'm looking for two more players for a Classic Traveller play by post Traveller game at RPOL. Fair Warning: I'm new to refing CT and I'm using pregenerated characters (you tell me what you want to play, I send you 10-30 characters that I generate at Signal GK. You pick, we play. Two more characters with shipboard skills would be great.

http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=2799...ate=1196581268

atpollard December 2nd, 2007 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opensent (Post 243114)
I'm looking for two more players for a Classic Traveller play by post Traveller game at RPOL.

Not to make a big deal about it, but why don't you just play on COTI? The game does not appear to have started yet, so what is the benefit of recruiting here and playing in another location?

I was just curious.

opensent December 2nd, 2007 12:49 PM

Couple of reasons:

1) I run a mechwarrior game over there and play in a few others (D&D, etc.). Easier to check just one site when I want to get my PbP fix.

2) Built in die roller!

3) I like to have running threads for each of my players. I can have one thread per PC, hidden from every other player, which I can use to coordinate with the player. I have all the notes from the first day they started playing. Good for reference, good for hashing out issues without making things public, etc. Private groups also means I can split off players and run double blind games.

4) I can embed linked maps and images inside the text.

5) Private character sheets for each player, which I can update, or allow them to update.

6) Player wanted flags, mature flags, etc. Players can look at the title of my game and tell if I'm accepting players and if the content is mature or not.

7) External description sheets. Players control what other players know about them through thier editable descriptions. You don't have to post what everyone looks like evertime you add or lose a player.

I'm not sure if any or all of this stuff can be done here, but why reinvent the wheel when I'm already familiar with it there?

The benefit of recruiting here and playing there is that I’ll probably get more experienced players here. I’ve gotten a good amount of interest from some Traveller newbies there, but I’m really doing this to learn CT, so more experienced players should make it a better game.

Any second BBR is going to come in and put in a much better plug for RPOL that I can, but basically it comes down to feature and ease of use overall. RPOL is pretty awesome and I think it's hands down the easiest way to PbP that I've ever seen. And I've been doing this for a long time (running cyberpunk games on GEnie...).

BigBadRon December 2nd, 2007 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opensent (Post 243118)
Any second BBR is going to come in and put in a much better plug for RPOL that I can, but basically it comes down to feature and ease of use overall.

Nope, you seem to have most of it covered. :)

Icosahedron December 3rd, 2007 03:55 AM

Hmm, I didn't know RPOL existed. I've just had a lurk about over there. Next time I start a new game I might just try it out. Pity some of the features can't be checked out by lurkers, I'd like to see first-hand how the dice and group posts work, but the FAQs are well-written and informative, and their policy on adult material is more lenient than mine, so there's no chance of getting drummed off the board for non-PC posts. So far, I'm impressed. The only negative I've found at first lurk is that, like CotI, they have a bank of public avatars rather than personal ones. Having said that, I'm currently running a game on Yahoo Groups, where there are no avatars at all.

BigBadRon December 3rd, 2007 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icosahedron (Post 243167)
The only negative I've found at first lurk is that, like CotI, they have a bank of public avatars rather than personal ones.

Heheh... yes, but there are currently 7,545 of them to choose from, and you can always submit one if you need to.

Kilgs December 3rd, 2007 03:42 PM

Coming up on one year with Rpol and it blew me away. The coding is easy to learn, the ability to embed pictures, maps etc are all simple. The ability to have separate threads for players allows a lot more interaction.

Frankly, I'm sold, packaged and gift-wrapped when it comes to Rpol.

(And starting a Traveller hybrid game myself in about 2-3 months).

Icosahedron December 4th, 2007 05:14 AM

Er, coding? <this site's resident computer-phobic takes a backward step and prepares to delete his last message (if he can figure out how to do it)>

BigBadRon December 4th, 2007 12:21 PM

There's very little coding, most of that stuff (text formatting options mainly) is already coded as nice clicky buttons or menu selections.

The bits that aren't (putting images into posts, for example), well the Help and Faqs tell you how to do those.

Plus, you can always ask in the forums and somebody (often me) will give you an answer, usually with a cut'n'paste example.

And if I can figure out how to do that stuff, then the average plush toy can. :)

Kilgs December 4th, 2007 03:16 PM

Yep it takes just a bit to figure it out.The coding (comp-phobe right here) is easy for the simple things.

Just put <""> around what you want... bold, red, green, quote...

Simple.

And to have people who went to all the trouble of doing tables for you and letting you use them makes life so much easier :-)