Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Traveller Wargames (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Fifth Frontier War VASSAL module! (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=25159)

Yama September 4th, 2011 11:22 AM

Fifth Frontier War VASSAL module!

Just noticed that a nice FFW module has been posted for VASSAL.

Anyone interested in playing a game? Ideally I'd like to start PBEM for the first little bit (to get comfortable with the rules again) but am open to live server play after that (no need to take a year to finish the thing :D)

McPerth September 4th, 2011 01:09 PM

I'll suely love it, but I don't know vassal (in fact, is the first time I hear this name).

Yama September 5th, 2011 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McPerth (Post 380592)
I'll suely love it, but I don't know vassal (in fact, is the first time I hear this name).

VASSAL is a great Java program that allows you to play boardgames electronically, either through email or "live", with all players seeing the same board on their computers and moving pieces around in real time.

It started out as a way to play Advanced Squad Leader and has evolved over the years to handle almost any game. I believe it's been around for over a decade and there are no security issues as far as I know.

I'd recommend you check out the website, especially all the game modules that are available (there are plenty of Traveller ones). If you like what you see, try downloading the program and the FFW module.

Kilgs September 8th, 2011 10:50 PM

Yep! There are tons of games out there. Most of the classic Traveller games are on the site also.

Yama October 1st, 2011 10:31 AM

First off, kudos to the original author for making this module. It's a lot of work doing one from scratch.

I was getting ready to play this PBEM but my opponent and I found some errors (3 worlds were missing from the hex map, many squadron types were missing or incorrect, etc.) in the 1.1 version.

I've edited the module to fix everything and submitted it to the author. Hopefully he'll post it to the VASSAL site soon, but in the meantime if anyone's interested in checking it out, PM me and I can email you the 1.2 version.

Otto Harkaman January 1st, 2012 09:53 AM

Hey were you guys ever able to get a FFW vassal game going? I just noticed also the great module built by someone, author is given as vox and Scott. They did update it to 1.2, hopefully those were your corrections.

I noticed there was also a nice Mayday module as well.

warwizard January 8th, 2012 12:38 PM

I was able to get the VASSAL module for
Imperium, and Fifth Frontier war downloaded, got someone to play Imperium, may be able to get FFW opponent soon.

Otto Harkaman January 8th, 2012 02:32 PM

I have played some games online through https://www.hexwar.com/ but haven't connected through vassal yet. Been going over the FFW rules. I might be up for a game next weekend.

warwizard January 14th, 2012 10:47 AM

Hi Otto, Ok I find myself available, I'm in CST (Austin Tx.) I have a meeting today for a world tamer's campaign from about 4 PM till 7 PM, but otherwize my schedule is open.

Otto Harkaman January 14th, 2012 11:41 AM

Hey Warwizard !

I am in Lexington Ky

I am still perusing the rules but I guess our first problem is setup. I think the module has to be tweaked a bit to setup "start stacks" (info in vassal help).

I started to setup to play solitaire, then became a little overwhelmed with how many units have to be placed on the board. Also I got diverted researching the history of the war.

Have you played a game using vassl?

I haven't even played online using vassal yet so I am not familiar on connecting to the server etc. Maybe there is a simple vassal module that we could start with that is 'tweaked' for play? Too bad they can't post some of the old SPI games, Napoleon at Waterloo is a great starter game. Its used on Hexwar to familiarize people with the playing system. Even Chess might be a good start.