Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   MegaTraveller (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   MT Ship Combat (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=11180)

solsec23 March 10th, 2004 01:32 PM

I agree that the MT starship combat rules lack some zing.

I think as a wargame, it's fine, but I've always had a problem with 20 minute turns being 'exciting'.

Guess I grew up with too much Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers, and Star Wars.

I'm keeping my current group out of starship combat for now, but later I'll bring it all together.

I am toying with the idea of making starship combat completely skill based, with certain adjustments for computer power and weapon effects.

I think the biggest problem is that while the MT SS combat does allow for skill replacement of certain computer factors, etc, most often I find that on the 'real' military vessels, their computer number is usually higher than character skill levels.

Why learn Turret weapons-3 only to not be able to use it when firing weapons from a ship with a model 3+ computer?

Once I figure out how I want to spice things up I'll post it for everyone's feedback.

Keep the engine running and the weapons hot,

Robert

TheEngineer March 10th, 2004 04:12 PM

Hi Robert,

20 minute turns:
Today I had an awful, showstopper bug in our software config management system. And we had to to prepare a release on afternoon.
I just say: several 20 minutes turn were just gone with the wind and there was much adrenalin flowing around [img]smile.gif[/img]

But I had this srewing feeling, too. So I just compressed the whole combat: range scale and time scale. Of course it changed nothing during a gaming session regarding combat resolution or suspense. So I changed it back [img]smile.gif[/img]

Skills:
I finally decided to ADD appropriate skill levels to the confrontation tasks, in order to respect the individuals skill and dont let them be too dumb compared to the machine [img]smile.gif[/img]

Regards,

Mert

Hi Robert,

20 minute turns:
Today I had an awful, showstopper bug in our software config management system. And we had to to prepare a release on afternoon.
I just say: several 20 minutes turn were just gone with the wind and there was much adrenalin flowing around [img]smile.gif[/img]

But I had this srewing feeling, too. So I just compressed the whole combat: range scale and time scale. Of course it changed nothing during a gaming session regarding combat resolution or suspense. So I changed it back [img]smile.gif[/img]

Skills:
I finally decided to ADD appropriate skill levels to the confrontation tasks, in order to respect the individuals skill and dont let them be too dumb compared to the machine [img]smile.gif[/img]

Regards,

Mert

Hi Robert,

20 minute turns:

Skills:

Regards,

Mert

dancha March 10th, 2004 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by TheEngineer:
in order to make it "user friendly" I packed the whole stuff into a computer program, which tells me "to hit", "to pen" values at given ranges or just simulates complete combat itself.

Hey there -- is this something that you could or would share?

I'm very curious!

Thanks,
Dan

Quote:

in order to make it "user friendly" I packed the whole stuff into a computer program, which tells me "to hit", "to pen" values at given ranges or just simulates complete combat itself.

I'm very curious!

Thanks,
Dan

Quote:

I'm very curious!

Thanks,
Dan

TheEngineer March 11th, 2004 02:53 AM

No problem [img]smile.gif[/img]

Just give me a private message with a mail adress.

Regards,

Mert

Regards,

Mert

Regards,

Mert