Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Traveller Wargames (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Anyone still playing Brilliant Lances? (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=19282)

wnourse1 April 20th, 2009 09:26 AM

Anyone still playing Brilliant Lances?

I've just picked it up again after a long hiatus in gaming in general and went to play out a sample scenario. Wanting to pick a simple one, I picked the Vampire scenario and began filling out the ship record sheets.

What a pain :(- particularly since the sheets don't have enough slots for weapons and defenses aboard the destroyer (or any of the other larger ships). So taking a trick from Squadron Strike, I figured why not use a spreadsheet as a template that could be printed out before each battle? In addition, I could put in the base data for the ships that are included with the game, vastly reducing setup time.

Has anyone else done anything like this, or would anyone have interest?

I've got the template done and the data for the Midu Agashaam destroyer entered. The downside is that it's two pages, rather than one and does not yet have the accumulated G track or the heading info, although I'm thinking that I could scan those off an original sheet and embed the image into the sheet. I'll test it out and see how it comes out. If it seems to work and I'm feeling ambitious, I'll probably add it to one of the versions of the ship design spreadsheets, which will aid me in the campaign I'm running.

Jeffr0 April 20th, 2009 09:48 AM

I have BL...

I intend to run some games with it this year, but I'm currently tied up with High Guard tournaments.

I've scanned the record sheets and thought about filling them out for the sample ships at some point... that way it could be "print and play" and all that. I would also like to show step by step how each ship is built with the design rules.

Maybe I should play some games before I do all that work... ;)

But that is what I'd like to work toward....

the angle April 20th, 2009 12:37 PM

I have a copy, but I've never used anything from it except the maps and beautiful counters to play Mayday, which I consider to be both a simpler and better game. That's the whole reason why I bought BL, in fact -- to get the maps and counters.

Steve

mike wightman April 20th, 2009 01:04 PM

I always found Battle Rider to be a much better game to actually play. Ended up using BR with the occasional rule from BL.

Rarely play either now unfortunatly :(

The Oz April 23rd, 2009 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike wightman (Post 314770)
I always found Battle Rider to be a much better game to actually play. Ended up using BR with the occasional rule from BL.

Rarely play either now unfortunatly :(

Me, too. I like BR, even if I don't like the way it treats lasers as armor-penetrating.

jfetters April 23rd, 2009 08:37 PM

We really need to run some of these online...

aramis April 23rd, 2009 09:35 PM

I've played, since I got it, exactly 3 games of BL. In every case, the SFB player opponent said, "This is too much work!"

wnourse1 April 24th, 2009 09:34 AM

I would be up for either BL or BR online.

robject April 24th, 2009 10:08 AM

So tell me about Battle Rider

What's Battle Rider like? I've heard good things about it, but never seen it.

Whipsnade April 24th, 2009 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robject (Post 315256)
What's Battle Rider like? I've heard good things about it, but never seen it.

Robject,

Battlerider is Mayday movement combined with a stripped down, critical hit focused combat system partially derived from HG2 and MT. Sensors are added to the mix also, rather well IMHO. There are other rules dealing with topics like commanders, formations, and the like.

Because the combat system is focused on critical hits, the game does not play well with the small ships characters will be normally be flying.

Regards,
Bill