Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   The Lone Star (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Dune (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=26438)

mike wightman April 23rd, 2012 01:20 PM

Dune

Just read it again, for what must be the tenth+ time.

I don't know if it's me getting older, but there is an awful lot more to that book this time I read it than in years gone by - if that makes any sense to you :)

Anyway - reason for the post.

This time I noticed a lot of very high technology that is barely mentioned - so much magic technology that is so unobtrusive it is hardly worth the usual fifteen pages most sic-fi authors take to explain their wonder tech.

Made me think about how much of the really high tech stuff in the Traveller setting isn't even mentioned, more implied.

Ran Targas July 15th, 2013 10:47 PM

I make it a habit to read it once a year or so. I'm really wishing the time on Caladan lasted a bit longer; I could use more exposition.

Supplement Four July 15th, 2013 11:35 PM

Reading that book makes me feel smarter than I am.

You know that it's the best selling science fiction novel in history, right?

GypsyComet July 16th, 2013 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike wightman (Post 393559)
Made me think about how much of the really high tech stuff in the Traveller setting isn't even mentioned, more implied.

Ever read the "Nanotech" sidebar in GURPS Traveller? It follows much the same line of thought.

BlackBat242 July 16th, 2013 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supplement Four (Post 444988)
Reading that book makes me feel smarter than I am.

You know that it's the best selling science fiction novel in history, right?

Popular does not in any way imply "good" or "intelligent"... look at Honey-Boo-Boo, the Kardashians, and so on.

Or Game of Thrones and Wheel of Time.

SpaceBadger July 16th, 2013 03:06 AM

The first book, Dune itself, was pretty darn good. The sequelae went downhill from there. Or so I have heard; I don't think I managed to force myself past the third or fourth book, although I have them all in a box somewhere unread.

aramis July 16th, 2013 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 445012)
The first book, Dune itself, was pretty darn good. The sequelae went downhill from there. Or so I have heard; I don't think I managed to force myself past the third or fourth book, although I have them all in a box somewhere unread.

Heretics is about the worst of the lot. They get better after.

SanDragon July 16th, 2013 03:20 AM

They do?

I guess when you bottom out, the only way is back up...

JimMarn July 16th, 2013 06:40 PM

I found the claim by some characters that the computers were bad because they were machines and not humans to be a little strange. Humans made, and programmed, the computers. So I felt that was a little odd.

A few years after reading it, I learned that people are displaced by computers doing some jobs. I repair computers. I don't make the computer chips or cards though. So some of the jobs done by my recent ancestors have gone away, but I learned how to repair some of those devices.

The main problem I had with the movie, is all of the mental things going on not showing in the movie. And the actors wanting their faces to be visible... Of course, the real suits required the faces be covered or the wearer would die from dehydration.

I enjoyed the first book. I stopped about the 3rd or 4th book. It just got... repetitive. Too much cookie cutter. Uhm, nothing changed besides the names or a location. The storyline became dull.

Oh, I remember some years ago a quick sketch by two comics about what worked on a tv and/or movie versus radio.

The guy who said radio could do lots of things not possible in a movie. Described a lake size hot chocolate, whipped cream and a cherry being added. All with sound effects.

He added at the end, you couldn't do that on television or in a movie.

Might be possible these days with CGI... but it probably wouldn't be believable.

So many of the things in Dune simply don't translate to the screen, but might work on radio.

Azezel July 18th, 2013 10:49 AM

I to make it a point (and a pleasure) to read Dune every year.

I also have my own Arrakis IMTU. Not a 100% rip-off - where's the fun in that. But very much inspired by...

The following is all there is in the handout I give new players.

---
0401 (Salt)
C750500-9
She's called 'Salt' because she is salt. The entire surface of the planet is covered in a crust of salt tens of meters thick. Visually stunning of course, blinding white deserts the world over. Mostly sodium chloride with other mineral salts mixed in.

The nomads who live on Salt operate vast mobile factories. Self-propelled crawling strip-mines a mile or more long which dredge a trench in the salt, extracting and refining the chemicals and metals for export.
---

I love it when PCs go there, though. It's a far richer setting than is implied by the deliberately bare-bones description. The Fremen-like inhabitants and sandworm-style crawler factories are fun to use as a GM. Naturally, everything on-world revolves around the riches extracted from the desert, and water, ever precious and never sufficient.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimMarn (Post 445179)
I found the claim by some characters that the computers were bad because they were machines and not humans to be a little strange. Humans made, and programmed, the computers. So I felt that was a little odd.

Remember, in the universe of Dune 'computers are bad' isn't an objective truth but a religious conviction. The truth-value of the statement is irrelevant, all that matters is that it's believed.

Although you miss-state things slightly. Computers aren't bad (you're telling me all the tech runs without a single IC or future equivalent IC?) - AI is bad. a subtle but important difference.

Thinking machines are both crime and sin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimMarn (Post 445179)
So many of the things in Dune simply don't translate to the screen, but might work on radio.

I respectfully disagree.

Thing is, no-one has ever tried to film Dune. Only a few different, superficially similar stories that they named 'Dune'. Utterly change the personalities of Paul, Stilgar, Jessica and Leto, cut 90% of the towering all-encompassing symbolism, eliminate all of the subtle psychological & religious commentary and it's not in any real sense Dune, now, is it?

A faithful adaptation might be possible, I think it is, but I suspect we may never know.