Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Citizens' Information Centre (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Why is the board forgetting ALL my unreads when I compose a reply to one message? (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=24974)

FreeTrav July 30th, 2011 05:19 PM

Why is the board forgetting ALL my unreads when I compose a reply to one message?

This has been a long-term problem; I'm finally exasperated enough to complain about it.

When the server/board software thinks that my connection has been idle for about ten minutes, it seems to decide that I've disconnected without logging out and marks everything read. This means that I simply CANNOT keep up with everything unless I open up a separate window for every message I might want to respond to, finish reading the unread messages on the board, and then come back to compose responses - because I can easily take ten or fifteen minutes to compose, review, and edit a response that requires significant thought or exposition.

I do not have this problem with the free forums at SJGames, which are also using vBulletin. At SJGames, it appears that marking-read only happens when I actually read the messages, or explicitly mark the forum read.

PLEASE fix this to operate the way the SJGames vBulletin does, or permit members to use programs such as ForumPilot to access the board in 'offline' mode, where messages get downloaded in bulk, read offline, responses composed offline, and then responses uploaded. At the very least, make the timeout period much higher, say 24 hours.

aramis July 30th, 2011 05:34 PM

I can't replicate the problem.

far-trader July 30th, 2011 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 378621)
I can't replicate the problem.

Ditto. It stays unread for me for quite a while, even after I've read and even replied, like this thread. I usually have to go into user CP and hit the "Mark Forums Read" to clear them.

I wonder if it is a browser issue? Either the specific one used or some preference selection therein. I'm still kludging along with Firefox 3.6.17 on this compy (reluctant to update since it seems to work just fine, they'll force me someday I'm sure). WinXP too :)

Dragoner July 30th, 2011 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by far-trader (Post 378622)
Ditto. It stays unread for me for quite a while, even after I've read and even replied, like this thread. I usually have to go into user CP and hit the "Mark Forums Read" to clear them.

I wonder if it is a browser issue? Either the specific one used or some preference selection therein. I'm still kludging along with Firefox 3.6.17 on this compy (reluctant to update since it seems to work just fine, they'll force me someday I'm sure). WinXP too :)

the board does the same for me as well, I'm on ie 7 (because that is what uni is) and xp.

Redcap July 30th, 2011 06:35 PM

Cannot replicate. I wonder though, if you have allowed the full use of cookies on here? This may be the root cause of the problem you describe?

Rover July 30th, 2011 07:37 PM

I am an admin on another board that uses vBulletin.

Maybe one of the admins can check the "Thread/Forum Read Marking Type" under general setting in the admin control panel.

There are different options to adjust this, but the admins may have reasons for keping this as it is because it may effect processor and memory use.

R

dean July 30th, 2011 07:47 PM

The situation the OP describes happens to me; if I leave my browser open inside a forum for a while, then return to the main page, all the topics appear marked as unread, but when I enter the forum post list they are all marked read.

far-trader July 30th, 2011 09:11 PM

OK, I do see what dean describes happening. I left my browser window open in a thread for a while and it did change all the threads to read (of course they had been, but hadn't been changed to read before) when I came back. They don't change for me if I read a thread(s), or even reply and then return to the home page. Even if I leave my browser open on the home page (indefinitely). Perhaps I'm beating the clock more often than not when reading and replying and haven't noticed.

Is that what you're talking about FreeTrav?

BlackBat242 July 31st, 2011 12:50 AM

I normally use the "view entire board" setting, rather than "view unread posts".

Ever since we changed to this server, I have had a limited time to look at threads before the "last visited" time-stamp in the upper right of the screen resets to the current time and all unread-post markers disappear.

The amount of time this takes varies, but is shorter if I reply to more than one thread. It is almost automatically reset if I edit a post, without regard to how long I have been on the site.

I have had to resort to remembering the "last visited" time displayed as soon as I get to the site, so I can tell which thread and posts are new when the time-stamp inevitably resets.

I am using Windows XP and Firefox 3.whatever.

Icosahedron July 31st, 2011 03:33 AM

I get the same problem - it logs me out and then spends 20 secs or more 'connecting to travellerrpg.com' while I drum my fingers and make a cuppa and gripe about "Who the hell asked it to disconnect?" (Ok, the time issue is due to my hardware/software) and then eveything is marked as read.

I go by the fact that I know when I last logged on (like BlackBat) so it doesn't throw me into confusion, but it is irritating - particularly since I have to wait.