Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   2300AD & 2320 (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   BRP:2k3 (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=7724)

BMonnery July 27th, 2003 08:09 PM

Hi

Has anyone played 2300 with the BRP rules?

Bryn

TWILIGHT July 28th, 2003 02:31 PM

I do. MT, 2300AD, and space:1889 all get played round my table using BRP. My regular players are all Cthulhu/RuneQuest fans. Most of the rules are in my head though!

Ganidirsii O'Flynn July 28th, 2003 04:49 PM

Right on Twilight! Wish I was at the table. I loved the old RQ/CoC rules. Sadly, I was also one of those guys who thought that AH/Chaosium didn't really do that bad a job with RQ3, but never mind..... ;)

TWILIGHT July 28th, 2003 07:09 PM

me too! Almost got every box set (just missing land o' ninja!). Do you have any paper work for 2300AD brp? Do you have a pdf reader? i could send you the character sheet.

BMonnery July 28th, 2003 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by TWILIGHT:
me too! Almost got every box set (just missing land o' ninja!). Do you have any paper work for 2300AD brp? Do you have a pdf reader? i could send you the character sheet.
Please do! (Or upload it to groups.yahoo.com/group/2300noncanon )

Bryn

Gallowglass July 29th, 2003 05:06 AM

If you check the Runequest Rules mailing list arcive, I posted the URL for an RQTek supplelemt, unfortunately I can't access the URL from work. It is basically a RQ work up of the weapons and cpmbat technology and procedures from T2K, 2300 and MT in RQ3 form.

Scratch the above, I found an old mail with the URL in:

http://seegras.discordia.ch/Roleplay...k/rq31exp1.pdf

Now, I haven't played this (I tend to more BRP/CoC/Elric/Stormbringer for modern and SF settings or cross genre fests) but this is largely built on the RQ3 rules and has always looked pretty solid. And any kudos goes to the guys who wrote it!

Cheers,

Nick Middleton

ninthcouncil July 29th, 2003 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ganidiirsi O'Flynn:
I was also one of those guys who thought that AH/Chaosium didn't really do that bad a job with RQ3, but never mind..... ;)
Apart from the Sorcery rules, which just didn't do it for me, RQ3 was pretty decent; but AH's marketing of it... Overpriced (and they managed to squeeze four separate products out of RQ2 Trollpak), frequently poor production values (the illustrations in some of the later boxed sets were truly appalling), dire attempts at non-Gloranthan product, and then neglect. There was a sudden burst of good quality new product when Ken Rolston was managing the line, and then it all went pear shaped. Sigh.

The eventual attempt to bring back Glorantha with a new rule system (Hero Wars) never quite grabbed me.

I do remember someone commenting somewhat acidly, when d20 came out, that finally after two decades D&D had advanced to the point that Runequest had been at in 1980... [img]graemlins/file_22.gif[/img]

Captain Tylor July 29th, 2003 12:07 PM

Since I do not have my books with me where I'm typing this, I cannot look for myself. But is BRP the engine that the RINGWORLD RPG uses?

clementk July 29th, 2003 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Captain Tylor:
Since I do not have my books with me where I'm typing this, I cannot look for myself. But is BRP the engine that the RINGWORLD RPG uses?
Yes, Basic Roleplaying, Chaosium's house system. IMO, one of the better and more elegent systems out there and very easy to modify. Still holds up well though I've been meaning to get SPQR or Unknown Armies to compare to it. (1st is the successor to RQ, the latter a successor of CoC)

Delta Green is a must have for Modern/X-Files-esque BRP games. Some good fodder there for 2300 AD weapons/professions.

Casey, who wishes Chaosium could've redone the BRP booklet they recently reprinted into a more useful generic RPG system.

TWILIGHT July 29th, 2003 02:49 PM

That PDF is great!