Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Play By Post - In Character (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Imperial Scout Rescue Service (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=40189)

flykiller July 8th, 2019 11:29 PM

Imperial Scout Rescue Service

Best duty in the Marches. Hands down.

Sure, there's problems. Busted ships spiraling out of control into some poor innocent impact point, insane security systems, electrical fires, chemical fires, 5G laterals, detached drives chasing you around engineering, imminent danger of death every step of the way. But you get to be the BDH, striding across it all and taking charge and saving the day. Medals and bonuses all around, sometimes even grateful crew and passengers. 'cept the dead ones ... crammed into corners trying to get away from the fires, faces pressed up against the glass wishing they were on the other side where the air is ... well, you can't save 'em all, but you do get most.

And the duty deployment center is a beaut. No sitting in a steel box for a week at a time wondering when you're gonna drop back out of jump space into real space, no sir. Imperial territory, high up on Starport Island, best view on Equus out over that vast world-wide ocean. Ships and liners putting in and out, The Parade Of Elegance, speedboat races, dolphin competitions, bikini babe competitions (and oh how they compete). And Emerald City far across the bay, lit up night and day, storm and calm. And when you deploy they all watch you move out, wondering where you're going, wondering what you do, wishing they could be like you.

On duty, relaxing casually in the lounge like you're on Equus or something. You're the team lead, years in engineering school and years in engineering, you've got all the training and experience to walk into any exploding space and take charge. 'course they also sent you to band-aid school, but usually you have better things to do. "Restore vector control, establish vector control, rescue and treat casualties." In. That. Order.

Your team is relaxing too. Paramedic, Hacker Geek, and Pilot boy. Paramedic has to actually care for these people, and he does, and he's good at it, but even his first job is to bring up anyone who can restore/establish vector control. Hacker Geek deals with all the malfunctioning computers and deranged electronic security systems that get between your team and restoration/establishment of vector control. And Pilot boy, well, he's the junior member, but he's the point of the whole operation - get him in the pilot's seat with restored/reestablished vector control.

Good team. Simple job.

Around the lounge are the images of scouts who died in the line of duty here. About 20 of them. "In memory of ..."

vegas July 11th, 2019 01:14 AM

Bored.

Shigiikarishi Ishkiigegakag, "Ishi" to his friends and colleagues, is oh, so bored.

Worst duty in the scout service. Hands down.

As an Intelligence Analyst in the Detached Duty Office, he had access to all the best machines, tools, toys, and data. He could tinker and explore to his heart's content in his office and down in the lab.

He gave it all up for a girl. Oriend. He never had a chance with a girl like her, but in an act of utter insanity he followed her to this bathtub of a planet. Of course the girl is gone. Nurse runs away with a navy officer; real life as cliche.

And now it feel like months of boredom sitting around waiting for something to happen. Scouts in operations are supposed to DO something. GO somewhere. But Icers just sit. Maybe they just melt.

Anything, please, just happen.

ManOfGrey July 11th, 2019 09:55 AM

Back on the horse.

Six months, twenty-three days, and this morning. That's how long it'd been since Jaxson had set foot in this building. He wanted to relax. But he couldn't. Seven months ago there had been twenty portraits on the wall. Now there were twenty-one. Twenty of them were strangers. But one of them was not. And for the moment, Jaxson couldn't bear to face her.

The bombing had left the top twenty stories of the high-rise unstable. But they went in anyway. That was the job. They should have sent in a robot.

They had a kid on the stretcher and were on their way out when the floor gave out from under them. You don't hang in the air for a second like they do in the cartoons. You fell! And it happens fast! Jaxson remembered having to the count of two to try to twist his body mid-air. In those two seconds he tried to get his feet underneath him. But the best he did was twist to land on his left side, and trying to roll when he hit. He couldn't remember if he did. Everything just went black.

When he woke the next day, they told him he had fallen ten stories, and that he was lucky to be alive. But they said the other two that had been with him, hadn't been so lucky.

Sheree. This kid's name was Sheree. You never remember the ones you save. Just the ones you don't.

Now, after six months of reconstructive surgery and rehabilitation, here he was again. The plasaderm on his left side still didn't stretch quite right. And the synthetic ribs attached to three synthetic vertebrae still ached when it was cold at night. But here he sat, back on the horse.

It's what Cynthia would have wanted. It's what he would have wanted if their roles were reversed. He just regretted that they weren't.

vegas July 11th, 2019 11:17 AM

Ishi had been up for about an hour. He kept a routine. It kept him stay busy.

Today was a weights day. He hated weights but it was part of the routine twice a week. 15 minutes of strength training followed by a 5 mile run.

A fast shower. Coffee made: by hand, pour over. Technology is so much better at so many things, but he made a great coffee and it captured his undivided attention for 10 minutes to do it.

Sipping his beverage, jacked in with his workpad and connected wirelessly with is communicator, he sees the new guy walk in, shuts down one script and launches another.

"Hey there, you must be the new doc. Shigiikarishi Ishkiigegakag. Glad to meet you."

The diminutive Ishi walks over to the doctor to shake his hand and begins to get acquainted. Ishi is perhaps a little eccentric, a little awkward, but he is not shy.

ManOfGrey July 11th, 2019 12:41 PM

Reaching out.

Shigiikarishi Ishkiigegakag? Quite a mouthful. Still... as Jaxson rose, he immediately decided this was the friendliest Vilani he had ever met. And since it had taken eleven hundred years for one of them to break the ice, Jaxson made it a point to rise to the occasion. Plastering on a smile behind his goatee, he gripped the man's hand, and shook. It was like making 'first contact' with a new species.

"Good morning. Yes, I'm paramedic Jaxson Regent... but please, just call me 'Jaxson.' I take it you're our computer guru," he said glancing down at the workpad. "That coffee smells great, by the way. Do you know where I could score a cup?"

vegas July 12th, 2019 01:14 AM

"Score this coffee? Oh, you can't. This is my personal supply. But I'll make you some. Right this way... Jaxson. And you can call me Ishi. Everyone around here does." Ishi asks the doc to keep time for him as pours and steeps the coffee from a precise 18g he had cut off his brick of roasted, cultured ag-product. "Its not the real thing, but I've found a lab in town that grows a very good replica."

SpaceBadger July 12th, 2019 02:59 AM

Ank arrives on scene!

Ank Buchannon strolled into the ready lounge, idly scratching at an itch on the back of his neck. He was happy to see Ishi making coffee for the new team medic.

"Hey, guys!" he greeted them. "Ishi, I see you've met Jaxson. Anybody seen Nyco yet today?"

vegas July 12th, 2019 04:50 PM

"Haven't seen Nyco yet. I heard him though, so he should be about."

Shadow Shack July 12th, 2019 05:27 PM

Almost on cue, upon hearing his name uttered Nyco walks through the doorway. He looks like a typical hot shot pilot...right down to the slicked back hair and polarized shades covering his eyes. An overstuffed pack hangs off his back, and his trusty sawed off shotgun affectionately named "Bessy Blunderbuss" is carried as there just wasn't enough room in the backpack for it.

Upon entering the room, the stench of coffee curls his nostrils and he lets out a discouraging grunt. "Never acquired a taste for the stuff," he mutters as he tucks Bessy under his arm and reaches into an inner pocket on his vest. His left hand produces a Regina Torpedo and he chews the tip off, spitting it to the deck. His right hand flicks an everflame to light the cigar, and he takes a deep drag...exhaling the fumes upward.

He drops his pack to the floor and places Bessy on the table as he slides a chair out. "Mornin' folks. So, we got new orders yet?"

http://village.photos/images/user/22...2ddb5ab730.png

SpaceBadger July 12th, 2019 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow Shack (Post 604087)
His left hand produces a Regina Torpedo and he chews the tip off, spitting it to the deck. His right hand flicks an everflame to light the cigar, and he takes a deep drag...exhaling the fumes upward.

Ank frowns. "C'mon, Nyco, I know the roombas will pick it up as soon as we leave the room, but can you try to exhibit a little class? We're Scouts, not civilian pigs dropping our trash willy-nilly without a thought. Someday that little habit could cause you real trouble in a ship or station environment, or on a new world where it's actually an offense in the SSCJ"

He casts a disapproving eye at the sawed-off shotgun. "And unless you're on your way to range training, which I don't believe we have scheduled this morning, there's no call for dragging your gun around Base. Which reminds me, have you ever gotten formal approval from Director Symmons for the non-standard weapon? Because if you don't get that done before our next call-out, it's on me as Team Leader, and you can drilln well leave Betsy in your locker and carry a Service-issue weapon."

Ank rummages in the cabinet above the lounge food-prep system, finds a pak to his liking, and drops it into the Start slot. Reaching to the cooler, he withdraws two lits of water and one of fruit juice. Glances around. "Anybody want a cold drink?" He particularly eyes Nyco, wanting to make sure he had taken the correction well.